Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character WiP
Character WiP
Sooo after Skyreiko got me interested in Fensapce. (which turned out to be pure muse crack for me) I took a shot at making a character.

Still very much a work in progress, so any feedback would be welcomed.

Quote:Name: Joshua Greenway

Ethnicity: Australian

Citizenship: Australian

In 2012 after much saving and planing, Joshua had finally got enough Handwavium to create something he had always wanted, a personal suit of power armour. But not wanting to be another Tony Stark wannabe, he started working on a suit of Majolnir Mark 6 battle armour from the halo series.

Once the suit was completed, in a fit of fanboyish stupidity, He climbed in and powered it up. Unfortunately, the suit was every bit as good as the fiction made it up to be. As he went to pick up the helmet, his simple movement effectively turned him into a human bouncy ball, sending him through the remaining wavium and half way down the block before the suit safety cut off power.

Eventually he came to in the Leonard H. McCoy Memorial Medical Center, When he crashed through his remaining handwavuim, he coincidently ingested/inhaled most of it, resulting in an extreme biomod. Josh's body is now on par with that of the Spartans he was trying to mimic, but as expected, the change had several quirks as Josh is now a seven foot tall elfin woman that with some a blond wig, could pass for Powergirl.

Quirks. 
Amazon Brigade: Stands seven foot tall, with a body that’s a mix of super model and pro athlete.
Stormtrooper accuracy: When using pistols, machine guns or stranded rifles, could not hit the broad side of a barn from inside it unless...
AoE FTW!: Any weapon that would cause an area of effect will hit dead on. (this also includes shot guns for some reason)

Armour Quirks.
What the hell is this black stuff?: when the suit is exposed to extreme environments (hard vacuum, extreme heat/cold), it gains a strange layer of black ash/sludge.

Fun...

Does he/she still have working armour?

If so, an idea for a quirk that might be some use if you don't want that to be over-powering:

Short Battery Life: This seems on the surface to be a really good suit of Halo Power Armour, but no matter how much you tinker with the power system, or strap-on unwieldy external battery packs, the 'batteries' (onboard power systems) run flat in no more than two minutes. Then need at least half an hour recharging before they're usable again. Without power the suit is a bit of a clumsy spacesuit (trickle power runs the life support functions indefinitely), but at least you can get in and out of it quickly. Unfortunately when you activate the suit you have your two minutes, and you can't split that up over multiple situations without shutting-down the suit and taking off the helmet. The only other alternative would be to run a really long power lead to something like at least a quarter tonne of external power system, or the nearest wall socket...

Just a thought...

I like the existing Quirks!
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

dark seraph Wrote:

In 2012 after much saving and planing, Joshua had finally got enough Handwavium to create something he had always wanted, a personal suit of power armour. But not wanting to be another Tony Stark wannabe, he started working on a suit of Majolnir Mark 6 battle armour from the halo series.

Once the suit was completed, in a fit of fanboyish stupidity, He climbed in and powered it up. Unfortunately, the suit was every bit as good as the fiction made it up to be. As he went to pick up the helmet, his simple movement effectively turned him into a human bouncy ball, sending him through the remaining wavium and half way down the block before the suit safety cut off power.

Eventually he came to in the Leonard H. McCoy Memorial Medical Center, When he crashed through his remaining handwavuim, he coincidently ingested/inhaled most of it, resulting in an extreme biomod. Josh's body is now on par with that of the Spartans he was trying to mimic, but as expected, the change had several quirks as Josh is now a seven foot tall elfin woman that with some a blond wig, could pass for Powergirl.

Quirks. 
Amazon Brigade: Stands seven foot tall, with a body that’s a mix of super model and pro athlete.
Stormtrooper accuracy: When using pistols, machine guns or stranded rifles, could not hit the broad side of a barn from inside it unless...
AoE FTW!: Any weapon that would cause an area of effect will hit dead on. (this also includes shot guns for some reason)

Armour Quirks.
What the hell is this black stuff?: when the suit is exposed to extreme environments (hard vacuum, extreme heat/cold), it gains a strange layer of black ash/sludge.
This....  All of this...  FTW!
[Image: 1411651d9c0268fc2d98c55ed433d47f37b0030d.jpg]
Guys, I'm giving this my approval.  You're thoughts?

blackaeronaut Wrote:
dark seraph Wrote:

Quirks. 

Armour Quirks.
This....  All of this...  FTW!
[Image: 1411651d9c0268fc2d98c55ed433d47f37b0030d.jpg]
Guys, I'm giving this my approval.  You're thoughts?
Thanks, still need to work out some stuff, like what she does after getting modded (maybe a job in security? Tongue )

And here's a reference pic I wiped up.

[Image: FenSera.jpg]

I'd have to read a story about Joshua before being able to give meaningful feedback... but, so far, my reaction is "Sure, why not?"
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

... How do thoes ears fit in that tiny helmet?

More seriously though, it's a decent start. More details would be nice though. Some personality, and maybe job-history in Fenspace.

Since you come up in 2012, that's just in time for the Boskone War. Joshua could've joined OGJ, and participated in some stuff there.

Another question for you though... What's up with the black stuff? Most 'Wave quirks I've heard about are either slightly logical, or completely nonsensical. The tar just sounds... Odd.

Sicne it happens when exposed to extremes, the black stuff sounds like the soot toons have covering then every time they survive an Acme (tm.) explosion.

Also, that armor. It does not matter its original shape when it was built: The chest is way too flat. Becuase there ARE literary laws than clearly define the shape of the torso every time you put the words "could pass for Powergirl" in any character description, and functionality be dammed...

'The Black Stuff' is a Red vs Blue reference, something I know DS is a major fan of. Every time Tucker (And ONLY Tucker) goes through a teleporter, his armor gets covered in a layer of black crap. As for the comment on the chest piece, I was there when DS started work on that sketch, and I ended up looking up some MJOLNIR chest pieces as references for him. Namely, we were looking for the certain pieces that might have a better chance of containing the Power Girl Effect without too many changes Tongue

I think Ace is right, the armor could use a real quirk...

Matrix Dragon Wrote:Namely, we were looking for the certain pieces that might have a better chance of containing the Power Girl Effect without too many changes Tongue
Such technology does not exist. Even Handwavium is not that good. So don't even try.
If it is too expensive, you can always save on some extra armor and leave an opening...

OR heck, Might could be "That's MJOLNIR armor if I squint at it, but WOWZA! Looks more like SIEGLINDE Armor, amirite?"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

.... I haven't usually known elves for being particularly busty. Gorgeous, yes. Busty, no.

One of the reasons I suggested you might like that quirk, is because it forces you to Take Off The Helmet.

Worst example of this was Sly Stallone in the Judge Dredd film. Fastest example of wrecking the JD basic character trait, ever.

Taking the helmet off gives you more "Face Time", which as every actor tells us, is good! [grin]
Personally, I'd add a force field belt or something.  That'd let you wander round in civilian clothes, and not get hurt by accident, maybe give you a couple of minutes of emergency air as well.  And, stop your hair getting messed-up. [grin]
--

Those ears look like they'd be a pain to live with.

But, character is fine. Supergirl and Elfin don't always go together mind. You might want to look up the Spartan Armoured Corps on the wiki, under the Cyber Confederation heading. They could use some fleshing out. The Supers might also be able to provide a career....

Maybe using a helmet similar to the Eldar in WH40K would work well with this ears?

[img]http://matthewtan85.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/farseer_helmet_01.jpg?w=549">

Thanks for the feed back guys and yeah, the armour needs another quirk or two, as for the drawing, I found only 2 Spartan chests that would allow an ample lass to wear them, recon and E.O.D.... sadly I didn't have an E.O.D. on had for reference, so went with recon. Tongue

Potential quirks.

Two man job: No matter what Josh does, the armour always seems to take 2, some times 3 times as long to put on by her self that with if she got a hand, but she's still a little uncomfortable about anyone being in such close proximity to her. (or embarrassed as all hell Tongue )

Bit tight: Most standard MJOLNIR chest plates are incompatible with Josh's build, meaning she needs to go for the handful that have in her words "More breathing room." and even then she will some times complain of tightness.

And while not a quirk, after what happened when he first put on the suit, Josh has installed a safety feature in the suit to prevent anyone but her from using it.

A good reference to her build. try this http://thetrueodinson.files.wordpress.c ... -comic.jpg

Edit: and another quirk, because I found the idea amusing.

Bad Poker Face: While Josh has a decent poker face, her ears are an excellent indicator of her mood, tending to move on their own, ranging from pressed flat against her skull when angry, drooping when upset, wiggling when amused and much to her embarrassment, sticking straight out and turning a slight red when "excited" Tongue

It occurs to me that one of the first things to happen to Josh as soon as she's well enough to leave the hospital is the sheer amount of paperwork she would have to file, ranging from having all legal documents changed to reference her new gender, to possibly registering the fact she can now bench press a car Tongue

Any storeys or that you guys could refer me to?

Let's put it this way: Noah Scott is known for doing more paperwork than anyone else in his social circle. I've never seen him do paperwork "on screen"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Paperwork is going to depend on where she lives, and if she's officially part of any factions. And where she was born or has citizenship, I expect, if she still has connections to her past.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

dark seraph Wrote:It occurs to me that one of the first things to happen to Josh as soon as she's well enough to leave the hospital is the sheer amount of paperwork she would have to file, ranging from having all legal documents changed to reference her new gender, to possibly registering the fact she can now bench press a car Tongue

Any storeys or that you guys could refer me to?
As others have said, you can probably get away with just having Joshua griping about all the forms she had to work through, rather than actually show her doing them.
And this topic demands a particular one of my sigs. 8P

Doesn't his/her armour act as a secretarial AI to do all the paperwork for her/him? [grin]
--

It's a power armor that has already sent her to the hospital once.

It probably is for the best if we keep it far away from bureaucracy

Maybe he should give the paper works to "the Credible Hulk!"

[Image: The-Credible-Hulk-634x434.jpeg]

HRogge Wrote:Maybe he should give the paper works to "the Credible Hulk!"
I like that...
Does that include links to appropriate Wikipedia pages? [grin]
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Doesn't his/her armour act as a secretarial AI to do all the paperwork for her/him? [grin]
The armour has no AI, mainly because Skyreiko said she looks enough like the Meta from Red Vs Blue.... and that nut job was hunting down and killing people for their AI's.

But the idea of Josh deciding to make an AI to help her is tickling the muse... does Fensapce have any Transformers? j/k