Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] The Iron Fen
[RFC] The Iron Fen
Something that occurred to me as I mused on the number of fans making their own Iron Man costumes and how things would end up in a world with the wave.
This is open to anyone to fiddle with. I have no plans for the Iron Fen,
but felt the current large Iron Man fandom needed representation.
The Iron Fen

The
Iron Fen aren’t a faction of their own, rather they are a large bloc
within the Supers. Composed of fans of Iron Man, and mostly inspired by
the representation from the 2008 Iron Man movie, the Iron Fen are
unified in that they have all built their own functioning Iron Man
armor.

Most Iron Fen work with or for S.H.I.E.L.D., splitting time between
active operations and technology research with Q Branch.

The
Iron Fen are as a majority baseline humans under their armor. A
minority have various cybernetic based mods, mostly with the purpose of
interfacing with their particular armor. This can set them apart from
most Supers and their pro-biomod mindset.

While
movie inspired suits are the most visible of the Iron Fen, due to the
nature of the fandom, there is a wide range of Iron Man armors suits
among the Iron Fen. It is not unusual to see armors inspired by War
Machine, Hulkbuster armor, or even original MkI grey armor.
Repeated
attempts of creating repulsor technology has been mixed. While
repulsors used for flight and stabilization seems to be well within the
wave’s capabilities, the no weapon policy has frustrated many Iron Fen.
The best result yet is a beam that upon contact with a living person
will give them a shove, enough to be move someone back or knock them off
their feet, but little more.

With a fairly obvious cautionary tale, against improper handwavium storage and poorly thought out construction techniques.

Somehow I doubt Jet's unique in bonding to a powered armour or just plain getting stuck.... Jet's just the ultimate expression of how far it's possible to screw up.

I think you might find the "Classic Golden Avenger" armour quite popular among baby boomers...

http://www.advancediron.org/general-pur ... en-avenger

So, is the armour useful if you have a heart problem? [grin]

Are there issues with alcoholism?

You can probably build a repulsor ray that will throw people around, but they wont get hurt when they land. Repulsors that shred clothes (unless they are protecting someone from an environment like space), or equipment, or knock weapons out of people's hands, might also be possible. In general, property damage yes, injury no, equipment maybe if not life support.
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Iron Fen are also likely to be well recieved by Gearheads, even if such small armor is underacheiving by the standards of most of the BNFs. Still, it's undeniably some impressive miniaturization, and personal power suits for person size minions before calling out the giant super robot has an honored tradition among a certain segment of mecha fandom.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Wulp, it's got my vote.
[Image: 1411651d9c0268fc2d98c55ed433d47f37b0030d.jpg]

Dartz:

I don't doubt there are a few fused with Armor cases out there. Tell me, how does your Panzer Kunst Gruppe work with people who's cyberlimbs don't have full range of motion, like Robocop for example?

Ace Dreamer:

Like I said, just about any version of the Iron Man armor every made has representation. The classic Golden Avenger is definitely a popular model.

Alcoholism is a mixed bag. Some people end up with waved armor that due to quirks doesn't even work right unless there is alcohol in the pilot's blood. Generally those don't go on many active missions. Piloting powered armor while drunk is a recipe for disaster.

Repulsor tech is a mixed bag, with many people getting different results. Almost anyone can make it fly. But when interacting with people, almost everyone getting slightly different effects due to the whims of the wave.

ClassicDrogn:

I know in Earth X Tony built a giant Iron Man robot that had a cannon that shot Iron Man armors. I'm sure he did so in other comics as well. I don't doubt some Iron Fen are working on Super Sized armors.

KaiserDrgn Wrote:Repulsor tech is a mixed bag, with many people getting different results. Almost anyone can make it fly. But when interacting with people, almost everyone getting slightly different effects due to the whims of the wave.
I'd expect some serious attempts to build consistently higher-grade repulsors, no matter what sort of pseudo science the more sucessful ones are supposed based on.  Focused gravitational fields based on re-engineered personal flight systems are a likely source.
I'd also see people trying to build a Uni Beam that acted as something more than a chest-mounted searchlight.

Do you think there are any empty suits of this armour flying around, where the AI in the armour is providing the brains?  One with an inanimate Tony Stark test dummy in it might be a bit amusing. [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Dartz Wrote:With a fairly obvious cautionary tale, against improper handwavium storage and poorly thought out construction techniques.

Somehow I doubt Jet's unique in bonding to a powered armour or just plain getting stuck.... Jet's just the ultimate expression of how far it's possible to screw up.
Well, there is also Briareos Georgiou, who got fused to his own armor... :p

Iron Fen play a big role in the Serenity Con fighting, and "Mister Bessemer" is probably a Steampunk/Iron Fen/Super cross. Never mind that he takes cues from DC's Power Armor Superman, Steel.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll