Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little something from the Candle in the Dark thread on spacebattles
a little something from the Candle in the Dark thread on spacebattles
a series of comments:
Warringer:
Actually, mimes are grown rather then made by a machine. They are grown on mime fields...
Prince Charon:
Ugh. That pun is Xanth-worthy (and not from the better books, either).
Huh. I wonder what Xanth fans are doing in Fenspace. I can see the 'wave reacting 'well' to puns
ecs05norway:
Nobody seems to know. They all moved to Florida, and neither Fen nor Danes have heard from them since.
Prince Charon:
Oh. Oh, my.
EdBecerra:
The words "Oh, f*cking crap" seem hopelessly underpowered at that point...
Note to self: If I ever end up in the fen reality, AVOID FLORIDA AT ALL COSTS!
Mal-3:
It's for the best, really. They're in a happier place and far, far away from the rest of us.

Are we to assume that handwavium obliged them with a World Gate that went to somewhere credibly Xanth-like?

And, they may (if we're lucky) have pulled it in after them, so there's no trace of what happened?

Punned themselves to another plane of existence...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

I think we're to assume that we shouldn't make too many assumptions off of a series of bad jokes on the Candle thread. Just a thought.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

M Fnord Wrote:I think we're to assume that we shouldn't make too many assumptions off of a series of bad jokes on the Candle thread. Just a thought.
So I am to understand that in the next Convention the Soviets will veto my preventive asteroid drop on Florida, again?
I mean, I can be reasonable, we can give a couple hours warning to evacuate. Well, maybe one, there is no need to be excessive.

M Fnord Wrote:I think we're to assume that we shouldn't make too many assumptions off of a series of bad jokes on the Candle thread. Just a thought.
You mean...  [gasp of shock]  we've got to be  [pause]  sensible???  [grin]
Edit: Sorry, Sunday morning, not sure my brain's finished booting...
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Are we to assume that handwavium obliged them with a World Gate that went to somewhere credibly Xanth-like?

And, they may (if we're lucky) have pulled it in after them, so there's no trace of what happened?

Well, Duncan Long's "Anti-Grav Unlimited" uses a critical mass of anti-gravity rods in a stockpile to create inter-dimensional gates; what happens if you get a critical mass of handwavium in a small enough area? Handwavium is inherently psycho-reactive, creative, chaotic and regularly breaks the laws of the universe. If some government or group collects all their magical goop in a large vat, what happens?

Another Wild-Ass Suggestion that will (by word of Mal) not happen canonically:

The population of Israel decides to throw a gigantic Up Yours to the Arab Front. Round about 2019 or so they commit Grand Theft Country, and Israel becomes the new biggest piece of UnReal Estate.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Stephen Mann Wrote:
Ace Dreamer Wrote:Are we to assume that handwavium obliged them with a World Gate that went to somewhere credibly Xanth-like?
Well, Duncan Long's "Anti-Grav Unlimited" uses a critical mass of anti-gravity rods in a stockpile to create inter-dimensional gates; what happens if you get a critical mass of handwavium in a small enough area? Handwavium is inherently psycho-reactive, creative, chaotic and regularly breaks the laws of the universe. If some government or group collects all their magical goop in a large vat, what happens?
Hmmmmm... I suppose I should address this somewhere in Legend of Galactic Girls. (The Girls arrived in Fenspace via a temporary world gate and will be leaving via a temporary world gate, after all...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Hmmmmm... I suppose I should address this somewhere in Legend of Galactic Girls. (The Girls arrived in Fenspace via a temporary world gate and will be leaving via a temporary world gate, after all...)
Right, one plot point: do the world gates / inter-dimensional portals / etc form because of the chaotic property of handwavium, or is the chaos the reason these gates can't be steered reliably?

At the moment, my tentative answer is "no". (The Girls will be creating and steering their world gate, and handwavium will used somewhere in the process.) But I'd like Mal's input on this before I go any further - the answer makes a big difference to what can and cannot be done with world-hopping in Fenspace.
--
Rob Kelk

In general, you can't do anything with world gates or dimensional manipulation with handwavium. You can't even use "hammerspace" and create dimensional pockets, or do much with sub/hyper/para-space, apart from the standard FTL communicators and the standard FTL drive.

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... FInterwave

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... #Rule_.235

The wiki makes it quite clear than no one knows how to get consistent dimensional manipulation with handwavium.

However, Legend of Galactic Girls has visitors from out-world (travelling using magic - magic isn't obviously available in Fenspace) and one of them used a dimensional pocket. The Professor (only slightly Mad (I'm lying Smile) implied that he'd previously met other examples of dimensional pockets in Fenspace (presumably made using handwavium), and the implication was that those had the same signature as a world gate.

Now, you might say the Professor is delusional, but if so, his delusion told him the Girls had arrived, and, later, matched this up with use of a dimensional pocket. But, the Professor seems to be at the outer limits for those who use handwavium.
--

Again:

I'd like Mal's input on this before I go any further.
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, I can imagine then the events of LoGG are not common knowdeledge, but how spread the more important details (to be exact, the existence of dimension travel, magic, and at least one being powerful enought to be called a Goddess) wil be among relevant fen? I'd like to know if the Hellfire Club would have some reasonable ("reasonable" is not necesarily "legitimate"; they may have learned it via some spyonage), way to learn about this when I want to plot further, well, plots.

(this may come to nothing, but it's worth having in mind anyway)

Quote:At the moment, my tentative answer is "no".

And my not-at-all-tentative answer is also no.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

ECSNorway Wrote:Another Wild-Ass Suggestion that will (by word of Mal) not happen canonically:

The population of Israel decides to throw a gigantic Up Yours to the Arab Front. Round about 2019 or so they commit Grand Theft Country, and Israel becomes the new biggest piece of UnReal Estate.
Not happening?  Well, damn.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

robkelk Wrote:Again:

I'd like Mal's input on this before I go any further.
Sorry, overlapping posts.
--

Island Israel would be cool, but even I can see it would immediately put the setting on course for a 'danewar and is therefore A World Of No. How about Rennes le Chateau? Though I suppose the RL version is missing a mecha scale cave system full of colossal crystals and graves of all the Apostles. Or perhaps one of the treasure hunt/conspiracy theories was actually true, and was where the Case Zero handwavium was found, given what those 'graves' actually contained in Xenosaga...
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Island Israel is way too much... but what about one (or a few) Kibutzs?

I could easily see them investing in a Space Rock or a collection of Island habitats with a spacedrive frame... a new Jewish Diaspora...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I could see that. I could also see said Kibutzs being the only group to have purchased a 3 'Island' 3 nacacel package.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children