Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music, Music, Music... and Musicians
Music, Music, Music... and Musicians
[link]This thread[/url] got me wondering about the big musical acts in Fenspace. I wasn't able to find very many... Sorted by debut date:
  • The http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... _Cavaliers]Hong Kong Cavaliers: Debuted in 2011, IIRC, but didn't take their current name until December 2013. Primarily "classic rock," with forays into practically every other style.
  • http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... S238_Brass]Junior Fabulous and the PS238 Brass: Not sure when they debuted, but before the end of the Boskone War. Jazz and big-band, when they're not the "horns section" for the Hong Kong Cavaliers.
  • Bombastic Hush: Debuted June 2013. A French-influenced electropop trio. Renée Taliaferro fronts and plays guitar; two more band members TBD.
  • Sunshine Galaxy: Possibly debuted at Serenity-Con - the backstory is still in flux as of this posting. Pop with occasional forays into harder rock, metal or power ballads (and the occasional mambo or dance track voice over rap). Fronted by singer Hoshikage Kouyou, backed by session musicians.
  • The Red Lad Revue: Debuted February 2018. Primarily "show tunes." Fronted by Kohran Li, with Makoto Miyadera and five more core members TBD.
That's not enough to keep that lovely stadium on Deimos busy... Who else can we add to the list of known Musician's Aid Society members and hangers-on?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:This thread got me wondering about the big musical acts in Fenspace. I wasn't able to find very many... Sorted by debut date:
  • The Hong Kong Cavaliers: Debuted in 2011, IIRC, but didn't take their current name until December 2013. Primarily "classic rock," with forays into practically every other style.
  • Junior Fabulous and the PS238 Brass: Not sure when they debuted, but before the end of the Boskone War. Jazz and big-band, when they're not the "horns section" for the Hong Kong Cavaliers.
  • Bombastic Hush: Debuted June 2013. A French-influenced electropop trio. Renée Taliaferro fronts and plays guitar; two more band members TBD.
  • Sunshine Galaxy: Possibly debuted at Serenity-Con - the backstory is still in flux as of this posting. Pop with occasional forays into harder rock, metal or power ballads (and the occasional mambo or dance track voice over rap). Fronted by singer Hoshikage Kouyou, backed by session musicians.
  • The Red Lad Revue: Debuted February 2018. Primarily "show tunes." Fronted by Kohran Li, with Makoto Miyadera and five more core members TBD.
That's not enough to keep that lovely stadium on Deimos busy... Who else can we add to the list of known Musician's Aid Society members and hangers-on?
Sounds good...
Are you familiar with the Space Rock band "Hawkwind":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkwind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Machine (their only #1 hit)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Ritual (name says it all)
http://www.hawkwindmuseum.co.uk/hawkfan.htm (their old fan publication)
Hawkwind was where Lemmy of Motorhead got started.  They also are still going...  And, they have a strange sense of humor.  One of the now deceased (late 1980s) member of the band is "Bob Calvert":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Calvert
http://www.aural-innovati...alvert/lyrics/callyr.htm
He is the singer of among many other lyrics "This is your Captain speaking.  Your Captain is dead." (in "Breakdown", I think).  I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkwind used handwavium to produce a techno-zombie Bob Calvert just so that he could perform that...  And he might explode at the end...
Also, given a quarter chance, Hawkwind will be touring in Fenspace, and other star systems if they can manage that.  If you are really lucky they might be joined by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock
and loads of other rock bands (there must have been 70+ people who've been in Hawkwind over the years...).
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

Google "Filk" and you'll find a dozen names easily that'll go Up, even just to busk around for a while.

Duane Elms, for example.

I also have a whole album of NASFan music.

And you -know- there's going to be a Fire Bomber and/or Sheryl Nome cover band on Greenwood. And/or Stellvia.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Run for cover, it's DISASTER AREA!

I'm aiming for Hoshikage Kouyou's Sunshine Galaxy to have been doing interwave releases and smaller live shows for six months to a year to build some buzz, together with her wavetech music work, but Serenity-Con as the first 'big gig,' yes.

To throw a couple more names out there, how 'bout Rhysling's Space Troubadours, Madness dotFen, and Black Velvet & Gem's Tones, a three piece group whose names are mumble Black, Velvet mumble, and Gemma mumble, but play up the starry sky aspect of the combined name.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

And the Led Donkeys! Got to have them! Unless they're Rock Lobster or Kahunarazor or split up again this week.

And the Dapper Clowns, from the Weeble & Bob flash animation series.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

ECSNorway Wrote:And you -know- there's going to be a Fire Bomber and/or Sheryl Nome cover band on Greenwood. And/or Stellvia.
Along with the Hokago Teatime cover band, yes...
--
Rob Kelk

Plus there may well be major bands that want to play in Fenspace. Will-I-Am for example is said to be a space enthusiast.

No doubt there'd be plenty of artists that'd enjoy being able to say they are interplanetary superstars. 8)

I wonder if the Professor would consent to do the voice over for Madness dotFen's bonus track covers of One Step Beyond and She Blinded Me With Science, for their debut album One Step Beyond The Sky?
--

robkelk Wrote:
ECSNorway Wrote:And you -know- there's going to be a Fire Bomber and/or Sheryl Nome cover band on Greenwood. And/or Stellvia.

Along with the Hokago Teatime cover band, yes...
If there isn't a DoCo set somewhere... 

And where would the Hanagumi base out of? One of the Crystal Cities, maybe?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

ECSNorway Wrote:And where would the Hanagumi base out of? One of the Crystal Cities, maybe?
Er... "Debuted February 2018. Primarily "show tunes." Fronted by Kohran Li, with Makoto Miyadera and five more core members TBD."

So... they're based on Deimos, but not yet.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
ECSNorway Wrote:And where would the Hanagumi base out of? One of the Crystal Cities, maybe?

Er... "Debuted February 2018. Primarily "show tunes." Fronted by Kohran Li, with Makoto Miyadera and five more core members TBD."

Well, they've got at least one member of the original, at least... I was thinking more of a group specifically emulating the entire team. There's certainly enough of a fandom for it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Hatsune Miku maybe? With all the other AIs and gynoids running around, someone is sure to. And Sharon Apple wouldn't surprise me, given that people have already been unwise enough to do GLaDOS and at least one of the Marathon game AIs.
--

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Hatsune Miku maybe? With all the other AIs and gynoids running around, someone is sure to. And Sharon Apple wouldn't surprise me, given that people have already been unwise enough to do GLaDOS and at least one of the Marathon game AIs.
I can definitely see both of these as active AIs, yeah.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

More fuel for the fire. Anime series called AKB0048, about a troupe of idols in a post-Earth setting where music and entertainment is banned. The girls all sing at 'guerrilla concerts' and fight off the organizationthat enforces this ban at the same time. Their main ship has a daughter ship that booms down to the surface of a planet and transforms into a stage that looks like some bird of prey. Pretty cool stuff if you don't mind the Japanese Idol thing too much.
Here's their opener:

I can honestly see a group of girls mimicking AKB0048 in Fenspace - stage-ship and all.
PS: If you wanna get your hands on more, then your gonna have to torrent it. It hasn't been licensed yet so the only option for the non-Japanese speakers out there is fansubs.

Stealing a bit from the background of Ennesby in "Schlock Mercenary":

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...racters#Adjutant_Ennesby

why not have the "New Sync Boys", a holographic boy band. For extra fun, they are prepared to do anything to "become the next Beatles", or "at least the Monkees", and have an enigmatic AI manager. They are the essence of 'manufactured' band, as opposed to one formed by individuals who just want to perform music. Some call them "Holo Pop".
--

ECSNorway Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
Well, they've got at least one member of the original, at least... I was thinking more of a group specifically emulating the entire team. There's certainly enough of a fandom for it.
Trust me, there's more than one Hanagumi lookalike in the Revue. (Why do you think I said there were seven of them in total?) Kohran's just trying to keep a low profile - she's famous enough as it is.
--
Rob Kelk

Don't forget filk singers like Leslie Fish and Tom Smith. They'd almost certainly be up and performing everywhere they can get to.

(re: AKB0048) I'm certainly not into the idol thing, but do I catch a kind of "musical freedom-fighter" vibe from that?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:(re: AKB0048) I'm certainly not into the idol thing, but do I catch a kind of "musical freedom-fighter" vibe from that?
More or less, yep.  Smile
ETA: And oh, yes... there is also a sub-plot about a position among the group called 'Center Nova'... thing is, all the Center Novas have this weird tendency to disappear and nobody knows where they go.  This is probably gonna be resolved in the second season, slated to come out sometime in 2013.

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:(re: AKB0048) I'm certainly not into the idol thing, but do I catch a kind of "musical freedom-fighter" vibe from that?
More or less, yep.  Smile
ETA: And oh, yes... there is also a sub-plot about a position among the group called 'Center Nova'... thing is, all the Center Novas have this weird tendency to disappear and nobody knows where they go.  This is probably gonna be resolved in the second season, slated to come out sometime in 2013.
Musical freedom fighters could be good, only question is how much it is cos-play, or whether they have some sort of agenda of 'freedom' or civil rights they are pushing?
Amnesty International in Fenspace as Idol Singers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesty_International
ETA = "Estimated Time of Arrival"?  [grin]   (Or, I guess, "Edit to Add" - I've never really seen that used.)
'Center Nova' made me think of 'Spinal Tap', for some reason:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_Tap_%28band%29
and their problem with drummers dying in strange circumstances.  'Central' = 'Spinal'?  Maybe a bit like JKR HP curse on the Defence teaching position...
'Spinal Tap', Fenspace version, could be fun.  Performers as remote drones of AIs, and with a handwavium-caused drummer issue? [grin]
--

If Steve Savitsky isn't Up and touring, I'd be very surprised. His song "Hackers' Heaven" makes me think he'd be among the First Fen, actually: "When you're building complex systems, there are two ways to proceed: take the safe and sane and cautious road, or go flat out for speed! If we leave it to the bureaucrats we'll never get to space, but turn those crazy hackers loose and see who wins the race!"

One more, out of a story that I'm prereading: "the all-catgirl pop-band, Sugar Rush"

Let's recap (with a few additions), shall we?

==Musicians in Fenspace==

===Local acts===
  • DISASTER AREA: The heaviest of heavy-metal, and a Douglas Adams tribute band. Yes, both at the same time.
  • The http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... _Cavaliers]Hong Kong Cavaliers: Debuted in 2011, IIRC, but didn't take their current name until December 2013. Primarily "classic rock," with forays into practically every other style.
  • http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... S238_Brass]Junior Fabulous and the PS238 Brass: Not sure when they debuted, but before the end of the Boskone War. Jazz and big-band, when they're not the "horns section" for the Hong Kong Cavaliers.
  • The Red Lad Revue: Debuted February 2018. Primarily "show tunes," but perform the occasional full-blown musical in the "Imperial Flower Troupe" style. Fronted by Kohran Li, with Makoto Miyadera and five more core members TBD.
  • Sunshine Galaxy: Debuted half a year before Serenity-Con. Pop with occasional forays into harder rock, metal or power ballads (and the occasional mambo or dance track voice over rap). Fronted by singer Hoshikage Kouyou, backed by session musicians.
  • Rhysling's Space Troubadours
  • Madness dotFen (with the Professor as a special guest on the cover-tracks "One Step Beyond" and "She Blinded Me With Science" on their debut album One Step Beyond The Sky)
  • Black Velvet & Gem's Tones: A three piece group whose names are mumble Black, Velvet mumble, and Gemma mumble, but play up the starry sky aspect of the combined name.
  • Sugar Rush: All pop, all catgirl, all the time.
  • the DoCo cover band in Village of Hidden Asteroid
  • the Fire Bomber and/or Sheryl Nome cover band on Greenwood
  • the Hokago Teatime cover band in Crystal Kyoto
  • the AKB0048 cover band, no fixed address: J-Pop Idols
  • Hatsune Miku and various other Vocaloid-based AIs, Sharon Apple, the New Sync Boys (the holoband from Schlock Mercenary), and other AI singers (sometimes in multiples)

===Up from Earth===
Usually just to tour, not permanent residents of Fenspace.
  • Duane Elms
  • Leslie Fish
  • Hawkwind
  • Moby
  • Steve Savitsky
  • Tom Smith
  • Will-I-Am
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, now Fenspace has really quite a few musicians Smile

And now the list is on the wiki - have at it

(And so is a page for Bombastic Hush.)
--
Rob Kelk

Looking forward to see the story you are prereading...