Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC]For Tailed Ones
[RFC]For Tailed Ones
Something I have been playing around with for a few weeks, but its still a first draft of the idea. What do you think?

##################

For Tailed Ones

»At first we were a bit worried because it looked like the catgirls from Jenga enjoyed being catgirls. But like us they are just victims of the Boskones. And its nice to have some friends out there.«
- Kyliea, Liberty 2019

»Who cares they sell them for catgirls? If you ever got one of their showers with the ultrasonic massaging your will never want a different one.«
- Cindy Barringer, Crystal Tokyo 2020

»You can pretend not to like being a catgirl all day long. But when I look at the skimpy thing you are wearing, I think its not the complete truth!«
- Cathy of Jenga, Liberty 2019

History

“For Tailed Ones” is a company based on 125 Liberatrix which produce all kind of normal Fenspace products adapted for the use by Biomods with tails. The company was founded in early 2018 when Catgirl Industries noticed that their Normandy project sucked up that much time that they were unable to build some of their more normal projects.

Unwilling to buy everything from outside sources, they approached the catgirls at 125 Liberatrix with the idea of a joined company based on the asteroid to build all kind of things for catgirls and other biomods with tails.

It took a long discussion to finalize the details about the factory, the catgirls at Liberatrix were interested in the project but worried about Catgirl Industries connection to some Furries. After nearly a month they managed to resolve their problems and began with the work.

In mid 2020 an unknown pirate group attacked Liberatrix. The Liberatrix Defense Force shot down many of the Pirates craft, the few ‘enter torpedos’ the asteroid was easily repulsed by the catgirls close to their docking point. Two days later an United Belt Alliance craft approached to advertise their new defense organization. But the catgirls were very agitated and not in a mood to discuss the topic and some of them had already asked for help from Jenga.

Just six month later a second group of pirates attacked Liberatrix, this time beginning with a few volleys of missiles out of direct weapon range to ‘soften up’ their target. When most of their missiles were destroyed or dismantled by the recently installed Space Exocomp Hive at the company's factory and Liberatrix space fighters launched to meet them, the pirates decided to run away as quickly as possible.

The company

The products ranges from simple furniture up to showers with ‘hair-proof’ drainage and integrated fur-dryers. Many of the products never leave Liberatrix or are shipped to Catgirl Industries, the co-founder of the company.

The company is housed in a couple of caves inside the asteroid. The central cave is the primary factory area, where most of the production takes place. The other caves are used to grow wood, mostly Bamboo and Paulownia because they are very fast growing.

Since the foundation of the company Catgirl Industries has been owning a third of the company while a large group of catgirls from Liberatrix own the other two third. Both sides have agreed that the other side has a ‘first buyer’ right if the the other side wants to give away their share.

The factory area of the company looks like a mixture of a typical Fen workplace and a module of Jenga. While there are always a few Exocomps around, living with the catgirls form Jenga, they mostly help with technical issues. A lot of work is done by simple waved machines or just by hand.

The large bio-caves are the source of wood for the company. Much of the earning of the company is channeled back into the extension of this caves and the import of the necessary elements to increase the amount of biomass.

Trivia
  • Catgirl Industries is still trying to persuade their partners to install a full Grid virtual reality into the factory
  • The Bamboo seeds for the first biocave were bought from the Jason, but the other caves have been seeded with unwaved bamboo and Kiri trees.
  • The factory has an Interwave link to Jenga
  • Some Exocomps have ‘adopted’ catgirls from Liberatrix.

Looks good...

You might want to change a bit of wording: "»Who cares they sell them for catgirls? If you ever got one of their showers" sounds a bit like the 'them' refers to people, not showers, so maybe: "Who cares if they sell the showers for catgirls?" might read better.

Should "with the idea of a joined company based" be a "joint company"?

I don't understand the meaning of "the few ‘enter torpedos’ the asteroid was".

"The products ranges from simple furniture" should be "range".

"Since the foundation of the company Catgirl Industries has been owning a third" should be "has owned".

"‘first buyer’ right if the the other"; double 'the'.

"a few Exocomps around, living with the catgirls form Jenga" should be 'from'.

"Much of the earning of the company is" should be "earnings of the company are".

"extension of this caves" should be 'these'.

Not edits but...

I'm assuming this is the 'kiri' tree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia

You might want to add Hemp to the bio caves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Fiber .

This has major advantages over cotton (much less water use), and I'm sure with waved tools would satisfy almost all fabric needs. The seeds are also good for food (an excellent source of protein), 'hemp milk' is comparable to 'soya milk', and you also get edible 'hemp oil'.

Liberatrix could end up an importer of CHON, and an exporter of food, if they wanted.

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=CHON
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind

thanks for the edits...

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Not edits but...

I'm assuming this is the 'kiri' tree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia
Yes. very fast growing and they still keep coming if you cut them down completely.

Quote:You might want to add Hemp to the bio caves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Fiber .

This has major advantages over cotton (much less water use), and I'm sure with waved tools would satisfy almost all fabric needs. The seeds are also good for food (an excellent source of protein), 'hemp milk' is comparable to 'soya milk', and you also get edible 'hemp oil'.
Good idea. Smile

Quote:Liberatrix could end up an importer of CHON, and an exporter of food, if they wanted.
Yes. They need the influx of organic elements they lack on the asteroid.

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I don't understand the meaning of "the few ‘enter torpedos’ the asteroid was".
I believe http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/]Starcrash called them "boarding torpedoes"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
Ace Dreamer Wrote:I don't understand the meaning of "the few ‘enter torpedos’ the asteroid was".
I believe http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/]Starcrash called them "boarding torpedoes"...

Yes, "boarding torpedos" was the right word... already fixed it in my internal document.

HRogge Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
Quote:Ace Dreamer wrote:

I don't understand the meaning of "the few ‘enter torpedos’ the asteroid was".
I believe Starcrash called them "boarding torpedoes"...
Yes, "boarding torpedos" was the right word... already fixed it in my internal document.
OK, so a small assault vehicle, with probably one to four troops onboard, small cross-section so it is more difficult to spot with sensors or target with weapons, and some (one shot?) method of penetrating any armour or hull so the troops can be inserted into the target.  All Freudian references to be avoided, of course. [grin]
Not the way most people would want to arrive at a tourist destination...
From the point of view of defenders, sound like a really good reason to invest in a force field rather than just depending on physical defences...
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:OK, so a small assault vehicle, with probably one to four troops onboard, small cross-section so it is more difficult to spot with sensors or target with weapons, and some (one shot?) method of penetrating any armour or hull so the troops can be inserted into the target. All Freudian references to be avoided, of course. [grin]

Some Fen might also call them "drop pods", even if "dropping" on an object with nearly no gravity would be strange. I think of them as one shot (or at least "easy to replace") very fast and small transports... most likely with some good front armor. *G*

Quote:From the point of view of defenders, sound like a really good reason to invest in a force field rather than just depending on physical defences...
Forcefielding an entrance might work, but Liberatrix is much too large to forcefield to whole asteroid.

HRogge Wrote:
Ace Dreamer Wrote:OK, so a small assault vehicle, with probably one to four troops onboard, small cross-section so it is more difficult to spot with sensors or target with weapons, and some (one shot?) method of penetrating any armour or hull so the troops can be inserted into the target. All Freudian references to be avoided, of course. [grin]

Some Fen might also call them "drop pods", even if "dropping" on an object with nearly no gravity would be strange. I think of them as one shot (or at least "easy to replace") very fast and small transports... most likely with some good front armor. *G*
I'd expect "drop pods" to be something for inserting troops into somewhere with a significant gravity well, and quite often an atmosphere.  For that you'd probably want heat shields, maybe a parachute, possibly fast decelleration tech just before landing.  No need for a means to penetrate defences, unless you are assaulting a bunker from orbit, and I really wouldn't recommend that.
So, I could argue rather different operational requirements.  Unless, maybe, you think your tech level is a lot better than the people you're attacking, so you can afford to use multi-role vehicles.
Quote:
Quote:From the point of view of defenders, sound like a really
good reason to invest in a force field rather than just depending on
physical defences...
Forcefielding an entrance might work, but Liberatrix is much too large to forcefield to whole asteroid.
Maybe...  Given a big enough power supply (or supply grid), and the resources to install force field generator nodes all over the surface, maybe not.  But, that is very expensive on lots of levels, and is probably only for the most paranoid.
I guess you don't need to forcefield more than the entrances if you know enough about the enemy tech that you think that's the only way they could (quickly) get in.
Generating a short-term force field that could cover the whole asteroid, with cooperating vehicle-mounted generator nodes is probably more practical, but that's the sort of thing I'd expect Jenga to consider, if they are concerned about attack, rather than Liberatrix.
Defensive rather than offensive tech.  Maybe Jenga could consider offering that sort of capability?
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:Maybe... Given a big enough power supply (or supply grid), and the resources to install force field generator nodes all over the surface, maybe not. But, that is very expensive on lots of levels, and is probably only for the most paranoid.
Liberatrix is an asteroid of more than 40km diameter. Thats something Fenspace tech cannot easily shield with Season 2 tech. Even Grovers Corner is tiny compared to the asteroid.

Quote:I guess you don't need to forcefield more than the entrances if you know enough about the enemy tech that you think that's the only way they could (quickly) get in.
There is always a different way in... especially if the plot demands it. Wink

Quote:Generating a short-term force field that could cover the whole asteroid, with cooperating vehicle-mounted generator nodes is probably more practical, but that's the sort of thing I'd expect Jenga to consider, if they are concerned about attack, rather than Liberatrix. Defensive rather than offensive tech. Maybe Jenga could consider offering that sort of capability?
I would say at the time the attack is happening there is no one in Fenspace who could forcefield an asteroid this large. Maybe in the late 2020s or even in the 2030...

Wikified http://fenspace.net/index.php5?title=For_Tailed_Ones

its a matter of applications.

"The Boarding Torpedo is as much terror weapon as anything else; at least when it was initally introducded by the Boskones. Loaded with 4-6 of their ($$retrieve name) troops, these were used to litterally shoot bording troups into secondary boarding locations. This forced either the defenders to weaken their main defenses to deal with the new threat or leave highly cybered insane thionite addicts rampaging their rear areas. These troops were also considered highly expendable; after insertion they would be expected to link back up with the main force for extraction.

They were also often shot off as a nasty 'parting gift' vs harder targets; with the full expectation that their 'payload' would NOT be recovered, but simply create as much devestation as possible before their termination by either thionite withdrawal or actuall 'friendly' action"
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I would guess that pirate/mercenary used "Boarding Torpedos" are a little bit better armored and can be used to leave the ship again... because they lack the "throw away" troops. *G*

It depends if anyone has a reliable enough way of mass-waving "assault robots" (that you'd hope are sub-sentient). These aren't "throw-away", but they would likely be considered more expendable than human troops.

I'd hope that the Bugrom are the closest thing to cloned troops currently in Fenspace... But, I guess it depends what Dr. Asmodeus Grey, and other criminal Mads, have been up to...

http://www.fenspace.net/i...?title=Crime_in_Fenspace
--

*nods* Or that if they are used it because the pirates are expecting to capture the ship and not NEED extraction. Your right that they wouln't consider any of their troops truely expendable. the DELIVERY platform, maybe. I think thats' where I was going with my vision for the boarding torps. they are ment to punch into the interior instead of forcing you to 'cut open' a lock or whatever. but maybe not so good for getting back home.

NO QUARTER!!!

Ace Dreamer Wrote:It depends if anyone has a reliable enough way of mass-waving "assault robots" (that you'd hope are sub-sentient). These aren't "throw-away", but they would likely be considered more expendable than human troops.
Yes... but waved assault robots can be risky in Fenspace... you never know if they do as told... or if they give you the ship afterwards. Wink

Quote:I'd hope that the Bugrom are the closest thing to cloned troops currently in Fenspace... But, I guess it depends what Dr. Asmodeus Grey, and other criminal Mads, have been up to...

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... n_Fenspace
Yeah, there are quite some ideas in the wiki that never were used anywhere... I used the Tanglewood Boys for one story, but the rest is unused and even undefined.

Star Ranger4 Wrote:*nods* Or that if they are used it because the pirates are expecting to capture the ship and not NEED extraction. Your right that they wouln't consider any of their troops truely expendable. the DELIVERY platform, maybe. I think thats' where I was going with my vision for the boarding torps. they are ment to punch into the interior instead of forcing you to 'cut open' a lock or whatever. but maybe not so good for getting back home.
Yes, might be. Did not wanted to go into details for the story of the company. *G*

I think the true horror of the Berserkers (or even just thionite doped troops) is the "This is what we do to you if you resist/fail/cheat me" aspect, rather than the fact that they're throwaway or expendable. That's what'll happen to you, or your family or your friends if you don't pay up your protection money, run from battle or just plain not do what you're told.

Terror, fear and horror are the Boskone's biggest weapons. And the 'comfy chair'

And where there's Bugrom, there's bound to be Mobile Infantry, ready to bounce.

HRogge Wrote:Wikified http://fenspace.net/index.php5?title=For_Tailed_Ones
Looks good.
The text around the 'boarding torpedo' incident needs some more attention.
I think you could usefully make clear that 'Kiri' and 'Paulownia' are the same thing.
It might be worth saying what the catgirls were doing to pay for their CHON before the company started, i.e. what other small industries might already exist, and/or whether they were supported by one or more other factions.
--

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I think you could usefully make clear that 'Kiri' and 'Paulownia' are the same thing.
Done.

Quote:It might be worth saying what the catgirls were doing to pay for their CHON before the company started, i.e. what other small industries might already exist, and/or whether they were supported by one or more other factions.
I am not sure what Liberatrix did before they started the company, so I do not even know if they imported anything from CHON before this time. Liberatrix needs more work, I hope this is just the beginning.

Would "For Tailed Ones" be interested in a franchise for the "Wright Suit"?

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Wright_Suit

These can accommodate people with tails, or digigrade legs. Having a franchise means you are trusted to run, and keep secure from inspection or copying, one or more "Wright Suit Synthesisers".
--

HRogge Wrote:Yes, might be. Did not wanted to go into details for the story of the company. *G*
Valid point.  Splitting the topic to this thread

NO QUARTER!!!

HRogge Wrote:Yeah, there are quite some ideas in the wiki that never were used anywhere... I used the Tanglewood Boys for one story, but the rest is unused and even undefined.
Many things are in the FenWiki because somebody decided a throwaway reference in a story needed a long explanation and back-story. Many other things are in the FenWiki because somebody had some plans for a story but never did anything with them.

And many, many things are in the FenWiki because somebody said "Wouldn't it be neat if this was in Fenspace?" and didn't bother doing anything with the idea once other people said "Okay, I guess..."

At this point, I'm inclined to treat all of those things as Open Ideas that anybody can use. (Even if I put them there. I'm writing very slowly nowadays; it isn't fair of me to hold everyone else back.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge Wrote:Something I have been playing around with for a few weeks, but its still a first draft of the idea. What do you think?
##################
For Tailed Ones
»At first we were a bit worried because it looked like the catgirls from Jenga enjoyed being catgirls. But like us they are just victims of the Boskones. And its nice to have some friends out there.«
- Kyliea, Liberty 2019
How widespread is this attitude amond catgilrs (Liberatrix catgirls in particular)? Because being bitter just after the war is perfectly reasonable, but still having this kind of attitude ("They enjoy beign catgilrs? How do they dare!") in 2019 is worrying -most of then, after all, only have the memory of being catgirls, not the person they were before.
This has been the only life they have known. The Jenga girls searched for something to feel acomplished, found hobbies, even learned the simple pleasures of their new body, etc. What have they been doing in the catgirl "homeworld", a seven year long pity party?

Rakhasa Wrote:
HRogge Wrote:Something I have been playing around with for a few weeks, but its still a first draft of the idea. What do you think?
##################
For Tailed Ones
- Kyliea, Liberty 2019
How widespread is this attitude among catgirls (Liberatrix catgirls in particular)? Because being bitter just after the war is perfectly reasonable, but still having this kind of attitude ("They enjoy being catgirls? How do they dare!") in 2019 is worrying -most of then, after all, only have the memory of being catgirls, not the person they were before.
This has been the only life they have known. The Jenga girls searched for something to feel acomplished, found hobbies, even learned the simple pleasures of their new body, etc. What have they been doing in the catgirl "homeworld", a seven year long pity party? 
I don't know how long ago Liberatrix was founded, but it doesn't look too likely before 2013-2014.  The only noted backers I see for them are the Furry "Cats of Paradise", who it implies continue to quietly fund them.  That makes them something of a refugee camp, crossed with a closed 'protected' community.
As for the basic Catgirling Machine messing with minds, the write-up implies that the trauma of the transformation makes it easy for Boskone to mess with their motivations, probably using classical "brain washing", but doesn't say anything about altering their memories.  That tech came later, so likely quite a few catgirls remember their original lives.
--

Rakhasa Wrote:Because being bitter just after the war is perfectly reasonable, but still having this kind of attitude ("They enjoy beign catgilrs? How do they dare!") in 2019 is worrying -most of then, after all, only have the memory of being catgirls, not the person they were before.
I would guess its more a reflexive answer by some of them in 2018... but maybe its a little bit over the top and I should remove the comment (and deal with it with some more writeup about Liberatrix).

Quote:This has been the only life they have known. The Jenga girls searched for something to feel acomplished, found hobbies, even learned the simple pleasures of their new body, etc. What have they been doing in the catgirl "homeworld", a seven year long pity party?
Hey, its only four years. Wink

Ace Dreamer Wrote:I don't know how long ago Liberatrix was founded, but it doesn't look too likely before 2013-2014
after the end of the war (2014).

Quote:The only noted backers I see for them are the Furry "Cats of Paradise", who it implies continue to quietly fund them.
Yes... but the Furries have to be subtile because most catgirls at Liberatrix don't want to have anything to do with it.

I think they might be also got some funds from the Convention itself until they became self-sufficient enough.

Quote:That makes them something of a refugee camp, crossed with a closed 'protected' community.
Thats the way they started...

Quote:As for the basic Catgirling Machine messing with minds, the write-up implies that the trauma of the transformation makes it easy for Boskone to mess with their motivations, probably using classical "brain washing", but doesn't say anything about altering their memories.  That tech came later, so likely quite a few catgirls remember their original lives.
The tech came later, but its unclear how much later. One of the horror of the later Boskone war was that a lot of the victims lost everything... even who they are.

So the percentage of how many do remember their live and how many do not is unclear... I always imagined that the number of catgirls produced by the Boskones went up after they got all the tech together to make their operation work smoothly.

HRogge Wrote:
Rakhasa Wrote:Because being bitter just after the war is perfectly reasonable, but still having this kind of attitude ("They enjoy beign catgilrs? How do they dare!") in 2019 is worrying -most of then, after all, only have the memory of being catgirls, not the person they were before.
I would guess its more a reflexive answer by some of them in 2018... but maybe its a little bit over the top and I should remove the comment (and deal with it with some more writeup about Liberatrix).
It's an interestng point to consider. Liberatrix catgilrs are their own society, and chances are that they are the most isolated and closed of all the catgirls -the most traumatized of then, which left for their new home and are too scared/angry/etc to deal with strangers.
The average fen would understand this, and would leave them alone for the most part. But the catgirls who did not exile thenselves to Liberatrix face different challenges as the years go by: Yes, theirs was the most evil and traumatic biomod. But they are not the onyl poeple in fnespace who have gotten unwilling biomods -accidental biomods are a high percentage of the total. Some of those unwilling biomods are even caused by criminals, some are mods to furries, some are gender changes, and even a few (like Cathy or Shuko) are to actual catgirls.
They would get some slack the first few years, but someone who had an accident and got turned into a dogboy, and then rebuilt their life, would get quite offended when facing this kind of self-loathing angst. A catgirl (former) vitcim, who also rebuilt her life, would even get more offended ("what are you suggesting, bitch, that I spend my whole life whining like you do?"). So catgirls that live in the main society -even Liberatrix catgirls that ned to leave form time to time for their own business- would slowly lose this attitude, and hopefully would eventually also lose their own self-hatred and learn to enjoy life again.
I think that Liberatrix will have a sharp societal divide between those victims and the catgirls that have managed to start heal ing their traumas, and there probably would be groups of catgilrs that are triing to heal those hermits the best way they can. Of course this does not mean that they will tell those private catgilr problems to strangers of visitors in Liberatrix...