Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TVTropes Page
TVTropes Page
Sorry if I shouldn't be making a new topic for this, but I skimmed a few pages and didn't see a general discussion thread. Anyways, I found Candle in the Dark on Spacebattles a few days ago and wanted to delve deeper into Fenspace, but due to my tendency for archive binging, I decided to try and find a more concise synopsis first instead of going straight to the wiki. So I checked TV Tropes...and promptly discovered Fenspace had no tropes page.
So I made one.
There isn't a whole lot on it right now, mostly because it was late when I started and I don't know a whole lot about the setting in the first place. But it's a start, and maybe it'll bring a little more attention to what looks like a really fun setting.
Also - hi, I'm new here, and I'd love to start contributing once I've got my feet under me and have done some more research. ^_^ See you around.

Welcome to the forums, Tiroth! While your enthusiasm for Fenspace is appreciated, it might have served you better to hang a bit and read the back threads first. We've debated creating a TVTropes page before, and deliberately chose not to create one. And to be quite honest, since Fast Eddie got all control-freaky over the wiki earlier this year a number of us have become personae non grata there, so you won't be finding many of us willing or able to contribute to it.

You might want to monitor the discussion of your creation at the back end of http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... tes?page=5]this thread.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob, as I recall, the reason we didn't create a page there was political, not artistic - so many of us were losing accounts there that we didn't want our baby to be part of something that we had been kicked out of. I think it's time to set that aside... but that's just my opinion.

Tiroth, welcome to Fenspace! Since you do still have a TVTropes account, could you add to the TVTropes page the necessary attribution on what you quoted from the Fenspace page, please?

Any ideas what part of Fenspace you might want to write about first? The big strokes are on the canvas, but there are still plenty of wide areas that haven't been filled in yet - four of the six "major factions" have barely been touched, for example.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I didn't even know that TvTropes had been a that bad problem in the past for some of the Fenspace members.

To the extent that we've had spies from TVTropes lurking here to find tropers who quietly disagreed with Fast Eddie and were involved in a project to create an alternate tropes wiki, so they could be banned from TVT. For more info, you might want to read http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... pes?page=1]this thread, http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... ki-Project]this thread, and maybe http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... sed-online]this thread.

That said, another reason not to expand this beyond adding the proper attribution for the text is that, due to TVT's current license, we will not be able to use any newly-written material from TVT when ATT goes up. (Which hopefully will be RSN, right, Vorticity? ) We will have to recreate the page from scratch using entirely new text. Why put the effort into a page we're not going to be able to use?
-- Bob
---------

My comment on TVT drama:

a) my reticence towards having a Fenspace TVT page was due to the swarm of extremely creepy people who are/were part of that community. I don't want Fenspace associated with that kind of community any more than I'd want it associated with, say, Pokegirls or Reddit.

b) any actions taken towards scourging said creepy people from TVT are totally okay by me.

Now, aside from the initial dramatics I don't have any strong opinion about the page. So long as it doesn't get weird & prospective writers don't try and use it as a LEGO set for building new stories it's advertising, no more or less really.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Thanks for the explanations.

You're welcome.

I would note that the TVT page still needs a proper attribution for the text from the FenWiki, so as to conform to the terms of the FenWiki's Creative Commons license. If you would be so kind as to take care of that, please?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You're welcome.

I would note that the TVT page still needs a proper attribution for the text from the FenWiki, so as to conform to the terms of the FenWiki's Creative Commons license. If you would be so kind as to take care of that, please?

I have no TVT account.

@Tiroth: will you fix this thing?

I really did mean to prefix that with Tiroth's name, honestly I did.
-- Bob
---------

Tiroth hasn't been back to Yuku at all since posting that single message. If anyone reading this thread still bothers with TVT, could they please add the proper attribution to the page? Failing that, Mal might want to send a note to that effect to Fast Eddie.
-- Bob
---------

Sorry I disappeared like that - had a busy week, and I was slightly worried I'd done something wrong there (which is also why I haven't added anything to the tropes page). :/ For the TV Tropes thing, what exactly do you want me to add to it and where?

Tiroth Wrote:For the TV Tropes thing, what exactly do you want me to add to it and where?
All we need to stay legal is an attribution that you got the quoted text from the FenWiki (the site name and URL should suffice), immediately after the quoted block of text.

If you want to add something of your own authorship, feel free - but you might want to wait on that for a bit, considering the changes that Fenspace as a setting is going through at the moment.
--
Rob Kelk

To clarify (since this is apparently A Thing):

Add "(Intro text from the Fenspace website used with permission under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.)" in small text underneath the copy block you borrowed from the website & we're kosher. Or at least I consider it kosher, so.

Mal is creator and the closest we have to an "Executive Editor" of Fenspace, so go with what he said.
--
Rob Kelk

And done. Sorry for any trouble that may or may not have been caused by my ignorance.

Thank you, Tiroth.
-- Bob
---------

As I'm still getting a handle on things here and don't want to clutter up the board, does anyone mind if I use this thread to ask random questions? Just a couple to start -

What does the RFC prefix on some of the threads here mean?

If I wanted to start writing stories for this (which I do), how and where would I start? Would I just start writing, show it to everyone, and hope it meshes? And which time period (season, I guess) would be best to start with?

Tiroth Wrote:As I'm still getting a handle on things here and don't want to clutter up the board, does anyone mind if I use this thread to ask random questions? Just a couple to start
Ask as many as you want... nobody is forced to answer them. *G*

Quote:What does the RFC prefix on some of the threads here mean?
Request For Comment

Quote:If I wanted to start writing stories for this (which I do), how and where would I start? Would I just start writing, show it to everyone, and hope it meshes? And which time period (season, I guess) would be best to start with?
Reading in the wiki to get familiar with the setting is a good start. if you are not certain, you could post a rough plot/character sketch here on the forum and ask for opinions.

Quote:If I wanted to start writing stories for this (which I do), how and where would I start? Would I just start writing, show it to everyone, and hope it meshes? And which time period (season, I guess) would be best to start with?

1) Just writing and posting is pretty much how it works here, so give it a whirl.

2) It depends on what you want to do. We've got a 15 year stretch of time to work in, and a lot of stuff happens in those 15 years with a lot of gaps in the timeline. My honest advice is to remember when putting together a RFC proposal for a character/group/place/etc. that everything is always in motion. Everything changes, and today's explorer might be tomorrow's politician or vice-versa.

Tiroth Wrote:If I wanted to start writing stories for this (which I do), how and where would I start? Would I just start writing, show it to everyone, and hope it meshes? And which time period (season, I guess) would be best to start with?
Oh, and you can join us in the IRC channel of course... it has been too quiet there anyway the last weeks. *G*

We have an IRC channel? (asks the guy who still reads Usenet)

Anyway... When Mal mentioned the gaps in the timeline, he meant it. Some small corners are plotted out down to the quarter-year, while other wide areas have nothing happening in them for over a decade. There's still plenty of room to play in this sandbox.
--
Rob Kelk

Some stories featuring Pulpers, Discworlders, or Fen of another neglected faction would be nice to see, if you want requests (says the person who hasn't written any full stories at all).

Rob, where do you get your usenet from? I miss it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Proginoskes Wrote:Some stories featuring Pulpers, Discworlders, or Fen of another neglected faction would be nice to see, if you want requests (says the person who hasn't written any full stories at all).
Well, I am more of a fantasy than science fiction fan...
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm reading through the wiki and established stories at the moment, so I'll start working on a concrete plan sometime in the next week. ^_^