Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspirational and Meta Sites Redux

Unreal Estate Oops?

[Image: CPdzwNw.jpg]

We win some, we lose some... Two stories from CBC

On the "win" side, Planet with 2 mini-suns yields new planet-hunting technique. This opens up the possibility of quite a few systems having habitable worlds - all we need to do is find a "warm desert" world somewhere nearby, and the Warsies have their Tattoine.

On the "lose" side, Earth-like planets Gliese 581 g and d likely don't exist, study says. We had put these into the FenWiki with Gliese 581g getting its own page ... (goes and looks) ... luckily, nobody's done anything with them except for a throwaway line for Gliese 581g that can be moved to the Gliese 581 article without any difficulty.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Lun, apparently Has an intact Sister. For definition of 'intact'.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Nav ... mobile=yew naval railgun in testing phase and set to be operational soon

Not sure if it counts or not, or whether Fenspace jokes should be a thing in their own right, but someone has to say it:

"What's the difference between Brazil and Crystal Osaka?"

"Osaka held on for the full 90 minutes before collapsing."

(Rimshot) oh thats a good one

http://adamburn.deviantart.com/art/Teli ... -304513141

US Senator: "Of course this is not an act of aggression, these are just prototypes of a new defensive low orbital platform... and we only deployed a few... dozens of them... yet."

Soon to be Republic of Scotland to build spaceport.

10 Minutes in MS-Paint.

X770 SkyKnight

Jet: You know we can't afford to build that Mackie!

Mackie: Well, it's a contract build, and I costed it all out based on finance and if we make it on time, and some leeway for fuckups and used all stuff we know how to do like the engines and sensors from the Foxhound. I know we're going to win on speed, we can meet the sensor and comm's requirements, and we might even fit people in it.

Jet: It's the building it that's the hard part. That's a bet the farm project right there.... the amount of finance I'd have to take on. If it fucks up, I'm on the hook for it... if it's late, or more expensive than you thought. Those penalties stack up fast. And it looks stupid to boot.

Mackie: I doublechecked everything. I used the Kulbit as a template and I know what all the sensors, comms and engines are going to cost because they're the same as the Foxhound . Everything else is based on known aerodynamics - it's essentially an XB-70-style wing and nosecone, with a Concorde fuselage so it's all a solved problem. And the Valkyrie has cool.... like, real spacefuture cachet. And it's an obvious derivative

Jet:.....Put together the bid. Show exactly what the costs will be and where they'll come from - don't assume anything, get firm quotes from Hepheastus and Damogran for the fuselage at least. Then fitting out the cabin to proper standards. Then I'll work out what our debt costs will be, and I'll set the final price.

Mackie: Really!

Jet: We haven't a hope in hell, Scott's got more sense than to ask us to build his new Starliner. But it'll be good practice.

Mackie: Trust me I know what I'm doing...

Jet: Welp, we've got the motto for the dedication plaque anyway. If we're lucky, we might even make second place

Dartz Wrote:10 Minutes in MS-Paint.

X770 SkyKnight

Jet: You know we can't afford to build that Mackie!

Mackie: Well, it's a contract build, and I costed it all out based on finance and if we make it on time, and some leeway for fuckups and used all stuff we know how to do like the engines and sensors from the Foxhound. I know we're going to win on speed, we can meet the sensor and comm's requirements, and we might even fit people in it.

Jet: It's the building it that's the hard part. That's a bet the farm project right there.... the amount of finance I'd have to take on. If it fucks up, I'm on the hook for it... if it's late, or more expensive than you thought. Those penalties stack up fast. And it looks stupid to boot.

Mackie: I doublechecked everything. I used the Kulbit as a template and I know what all the sensors, comms and engines are going to cost because they're the same as the Foxhound . Everything else is based on known aerodynamics - it's essentially an XB-70-style wing and nosecone, with a Concorde fuselage so it's all a solved problem. And the Valkyrie has cool.... like, real spacefuture cachet. And it's an obvious derivative

Jet:.....Put together the bid. Show exactly what the costs will be and where they'll come from - don't assume anything, get firm quotes from Hepheastus and Damogran for the fuselage at least. Then fitting out the cabin to proper standards. Then I'll work out what our debt costs will be, and I'll set the final price.

Mackie: Really!

Jet: We haven't a hope in hell, Scott's got more sense than to ask us to build his new Starliner. But it'll be good practice.

Mackie: Trust me I know what I'm doing...

Jet: Welp, we've got the motto for the dedication plaque anyway. If we're lucky, we might even make second place

Noah: Well, this is intriguing.

Yayoi: I see a problem right here.

Kohran: Agreed.

Noah: Really?

Kohran: I'd be okay with it, but who else would fly in a plutonium-powered spaceship?

Noah: True. PR can be a bitch. I'm just surprised you'd realize other people would think it's a problem.

Kohran: Daaaaad...

Yayoi: Does anyone else think Mackie designed this?

Noah: Doesn't matter. Just tell them why the design didn't make the cut.
--
Rob Kelk

Jet: Oh thank fuck....

(I actually forgot to use the tradename they were calling it.... it should've been DeltAlloy)

Reactionless Drives are now a thing

Sort of.

Relevant Nasa link

Although there is a Caveat.
One article designed to produce thrust did so.
One article, intentionally designed not to produce thrust, also did so.

Which suggest that something funky might be up.

Oh, http://www.daz3d.com/ufo]this is a nifty 3D model - and I get it for free, since I'm still in the Platinum Club.

(looks straight at Mal)

Who in Fenspace flies these?
--
Rob Kelk

The Church of the Subgenius, of course.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Driving from Earth to Mars, with a HUD?
(80's anime rules. At least, thanks to the nostalgia filter)

What a ship equipped with an Alcubierre Drive could look like: NASA's ISX Enterprise

“It does have some Sci-Fi features that might never transfer to a possible final design, unless we really want to.”
--
Rob Kelk

Dress Uniform for the SAM.... Male version?

http://33.media.tumblr.com/21e39421d37 ... 6_1280.jpg

Rduda has done an image that isn't Trekkie and isn't Warsie, but would fit in with either one...
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/ ... 20/#674474

Somebody's got to be flying that bird in Fenspace, somewhere.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Rduda has done an image that isn't Trekkie and isn't Warsie, but would fit in with either one...http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/ ... 20/#674474

Somebody's got to be flying that bird in Fenspace, somewhere.
She's a trekkie, he's a warsie, together they fight crime!
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Alright which one of you jokers put a trekie engine on the falcon, come on I'm waiting for an answer here!

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/09/ ... e-station/
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

If earth had Saturn's ringsRight lads, who wants to engage in some franly massive planetary engineering?

Movie makes science discovery. Because they wanted to render a 'realistic' looking blackhole.
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... -discovery
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Oh yeah, I heard about that. Not only interesting scientifically, but funny, too.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.