Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Storyline] Fenspace Infinities: Strange New Worlds

Just saw a preview on TV.
Think I should make a version of The Purge happen in the Counter-Earth U.S., or is that just plain too dystopian?
Also, rereading for some inspiration, just about the only details about Western magic in Omamori Himari is revealed in Volume 8 of the manga in a conversation between Yuuto Amakawa and Kuesu Jinguji. Keep in mind that I'm using the EXACT spelling as was used.
~~~
Kuesu: "When I was little, I was home-schooled. So as far as school goes, there was only the Royal Magic Society in England."
Yuuto: "Magic... Wh-what kind of place was it?"
Kuesu: "You ever watch those "Hairy Pooter" films?"
Yuuto: "Only the first three. Why?"
Kuesu: "It's similar to the magic school described in that series. The author was a graduate of the Magic Society."
~~~
I'm therefore basing Western magic on a "funhouse mirror image" of the Harry Potter world. Cue FenWizards having a nerdgasm. Most of the magical creatures and races can probably be used exactly as if one were writing an HP fanfiction in which one is trying to remain as canonical as possible, but if anyone desires to use them, feel free to utilize author's prerogative to make any changes you may feel necessary. My own area of writing in this universe will probably be focused on Japan for the foreseeable future.
Edit: Forgot to type this. Kuesu describes herself as a witch who practices 'dark magic' and does not seem to utilize a magical foci like the wands in the HP world. She does, however, constantly carry with her a spell book. As far as I can recall, we the readers are never given a glimpse into said book. It is possible that the book is itself a foci, but as this is never stated I am going to treat it as a grimoire personally compiled by Kuesu of what she believes to be her most useful, but not necessarily easily remembered, spells, and may or may not be a practice in common use by Western mages.

Quote:Oh, Noah's going to ask, but nothing says he's going to get any answers - even if he knows the right questions, which at this stage he doesn't.

Okay, here's the thing. You have Skuld show up out of the blue and say something portentous. When I read that I assume automatically that Skuld is going to give the characters - or more precisely she's going to give Noah Scott - the 411 on what exactly is going down here. Even if she doesn't explain the whole clash-of-death-gods thing that DJ's putting together, it seemed clear to me that she was going to exposit on the mechanics of what's going on: multiverse malfunction, emergency Earth-writing protocols etc. That's not information the characters need, to be brutally honest. It doesn't change anything about Counter-Earth or the situation in general.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

(removed by original poster)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

actually i liked it, it made sense of the "patchwork" comment, and actually should help it work out easier than what DJ has planned.....and i have no problem with Skuld showing up either.....

hey DJ any chance of getting Negimania, Dance in the Vampire Bund and/or 07Ghost in there?

I have no idea what Negimania is. It doesn't even come up on a Wikipedia search. Any more info?
After considering it, I have come to the conclusion that the setting and material of Dance in the Vampire Bund would conflict and interfere with the worlds already selected.
As for 07-Ghost,... *scratches side of head* How the heck are we supposed to use that? It takes place on an alternate world that is not the Earth. So, sorry, but no.

Deputy, I think Rajvik meant "Negima", the shorthand for [link=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negima!_Magister_Negi_Magi]Negima! Magister Negi Magi[/url].
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: I think Rajvik meant "Negima"
If that's the case, then no. For one thing, the magic presented in Negima, especially in the later volumes, is just so overwhelmingly powerful that it would be too big of a game changer for the universe. The likes of Jack "The Invincible Idiot" Rakan is the penultimate example of this. That guy is freakin' DBZ-level, SNK Boss Syndrome in his abilities.
Which is not to say I don't enjoy the series. I have all of Ken Akamatsu's A.I. Love You, Love Hina, Itsudatte, My Santa! and Negima manga, and even the two Love Hina light novels and two Itsudatte, My Santa! OVAs. I hope he writes something else in the same genre now that he's done with Negima...

Rajvik Wrote:actually i liked it, it made sense of the "patchwork" comment, and actually should help it work out easier than what DJ has planned.....and i have no problem with Skuld showing up either.....
Well, they've already jumped to their conclusions and berated me based on those misunderstandings... and it's been long enough that, if they liked my contributions, they could have said so.

I've blanked my posts in this thread, other than this one. I will assist in maintaining the FenWiki, but I will not be taking part in this alternate unless I am invited back by the people in charge of it.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:I will not be taking part in this alternate unless I am invited back by the people in charge of it.
I invite you back with open arms - but not hugs and kisses, I just don't swing that way. Seriously, though, I had and have no problem with your writing. I very much enjoy it as a matter of fact.. It's just that we got our signals crossed when it came to where I was going with things because I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. Just wait until the end of the week when I'll post the first part/setup for the story and I'm sure all will be made clear.

Thank you. (And I don't miss the hugs one bit... )

I'll hold off on re-writing that contribution until after you post. I'll just jot a couple of notes here so I don't forget, and so you can tell me whether this would step on your toes: Noah discovers Tellus' Freedom station is commanded by the analogue of his long-dead sister when she takes part in an interview mentioning she'd noticed an Artemis satellite - both Earths are aware of each other at some level. While discussing what to do about this revelation, Skuld shows up to do what she was going to do anyway: scout the area and try to figure out what the HFIL's going on. (The Fenspace reality seems to be a weirdness nexus - this is the third alternate spun off it so far. The data in the WFC plus the Roughriders' research makes it a near-certainty Fenspace is going to spread that weirdness to other realities sooner or later - probably sooner, knowing Ben Rhodes. Better to get a handle on what's happening before the mess is dropped in the laps of civilizations that aren't expecting it.) And maybe - maybe - she'll grant one wish - just one, not five - to one character yet to be determined but definitely not a major "PC level" character, before anyone in Fenspace knows what's going on.
--
Rob Kelk

*Creepy Female Voice* "Hugs Are Freeeeeeeeee...."
Okay, enough silliness. Nothing you've said interferes with what I have planned in either the short or long run.  So thumbs up.
And if no one gets the above joke, you clearly missed the late, great show X-play during its Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb glory days.
http://www.youtube.com/v/O_pw7wgtOHw&ve ... tube_gdata

I keep thinking there needs to be a warp storm around Counter-Earth. Nothing super-aggressive or full of Great Old Ones or anything, just some sort of manasphere/subspace turbulence shell that makes getting from Here to There difficult, especially for handwavium-engine vehicles.

M Fnord Wrote:I keep thinking there needs to be a warp storm around Counter-Earth. Nothing super-aggressive or full of Great Old Ones or anything, just some sort of manasphere/subspace turbulence shell that makes getting from Here to There difficult, especially for handwavium-engine vehicles.
Which would result in somebody (*cough*Greenwood*cough*StellviaCorp*cough*CHOAM*cough*) establishing a port station just outside the warp-storm...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Which would result in somebody (*cough*Greenwood*cough*StellviaCorp*cough*CHOAM*cough*) establishing a port station just outside the warp-storm...
And then the storm suddenly grew by 25% radius... Wink

With the speed of Fendrives, its not really necessary to build a station right on top of the border.

Quote:M Fnord wrote:
I keep thinking there needs to be a warp storm around Counter-Earth. Nothing super-aggressive or full of Great Old Ones or anything, just some sort of manasphere/subspace turbulence shell that makes getting from Here to There difficult, especially for handwavium-engine vehicles.
Problem, I don't think any sane fen will go anywhere near anything that looks like a warp storm no matter how safe it appears to be. Maybe a slow moving/fading event 'wave' that messes with signals and max speed of fen ships.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

HRogge Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Which would result in somebody (*cough*Greenwood*cough*StellviaCorp*cough*CHOAM*cough*) establishing a port station just outside the warp-storm...
And then the storm suddenly grew by 25% radius... Wink

With the speed of Fendrives, its not really necessary to build a station right on top of the border.
It isn't right at the border for the convenience of the Fen - it's there for the convenience of the people of the other Earth...
--
Rob Kelk

Well, I won't be including a 'warp storm' myself, but just in case anyone wants to use one in their own writing - I have no protests against it - I can always work around any journeys between Counter-Earth/Earth-Tellus by glossing over most of the trip.
Oh, and Mal? I had a thought slam into me when I was writing earlier. In that thread with all the timelines from when the discussion to advance the mainstream Fenspace present was written, there's a mention that in 2017, when LulzSec reveals that parts of the WFC were doctored, Ravenholm started working on supernatural research and by 2018 had developed a first-gen manatronic computer that ran on ambient magical energy. Can this be considered canon? I need to know as it means whether or not the MACSA can already exist at the time of the story.

It may be considered canonical, yes. We never officially finished it - because we kinda suck - but the 2022 Update is in full effect going forward.

DeputyJones Wrote:Oh, and Mal? I had a thought slam into me when I was writing earlier. In that thread with all the timelines from when the discussion to advance the mainstream Fenspace present was written, there's a mention that in 2017, when LulzSec reveals that parts of the WFC were doctored, Ravenholm started working on supernatural research and by 2018 had developed a first-gen manatronic computer that ran on ambient magical energy. Can this be considered canon? I need to know as it means whether or not the MACSA can already exist at the time of the story.
Well... I'm not happy about it - StellviaCorp is supposed to have better data security than that, the parts that Noah left out of the WFC were never on a net-accessible computer at all (*), and on a meta level I prefer to have as little to do with Anonymous and its subgroups as possible - but if we're going to bring magic into Fenspace, it's pretty much a necessary step.

(* The Vesta Institutes realized something was up with the WFC when they came across a reference to something that had been removed.)
--
Rob Kelk

Hmm, I won't mentioned how the doctoring got discovered or by who, then, only that it was discovered and that's why Longinus Lance Project became the MACSA,

The next couple parts I'll be writing will involve what will become known as Chaos June, as the Fen and those on local Earth react to first Mars and then Counter-Earth, and Counter-Earth reacts to everything. Speaking of the latter, anybody got any suggestions on how a Fen/Counter-Earth first contact should happen?
Also, as was said in the story, _some_ people were essentially deposited on Mars and, so far as they are concerned, they were just a moment ago in their own worlds doing whatever. I made sure to put a limit - 4,400 - on just how many people total were brought into it. Thus, there are obviously no cities/civilizations now on Mars apart from what the Fen have established themselves. In addition, while I say 'people,' that does not mean that all of them are human - though most are.
Anyone who wants to can use one or a _small_ group of these 4,400 as characters, whether black or white in their hats. I already have several planned for myself. Just be sure that anything - people or object - used is not something Gary Stu/Mary Sue-ish. Nothing like a Kryptonian, a Bolo, a nuke, or anything like that.

If I wanted a Martian Mary Sue, I would have developed the Best Damn Cop On Mars into one... so no worries there.
--
Rob Kelk

FIVE DAYS REMAIN FOR COUNTER-EARTH WORLD REQUESTS!!!
Still mainly stuck dealing with Real World stuff, myself.

TWO DAYS AND TWO HOURS LEFT FOR COUNTER-EARTH REQUESTS!!!

The animals mentioned in Episode 2 are aurochs, a wooly mammoth (or mastodon), a wooly rhinoceros, a cave bear, and dodos. As a result of the incident being 'filtered' through the powers of two death-related entities, a good deal of extinct animals are making their appearance. It is limited, however, to extinct animals which have lived at some point alongside homo sapiens. The only exception are a pod of plesiosaurs I haven't used yet and will use later.
Also, any alien animals will only be permitted if they are Alternate-Mars animals.