Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor Tech
Sensor Tech
robkelk Wrote:A handheld scanner? Not very much, I'd say. But there are more powerful scanners in the labs.

That gives me a few thoughts about sensors, which I'll post in their own thread so as not to derail this one.

And here's that thread, spun off from "[Story][Season 2] Interview." This is more "add to existing wisdom" than "create new wisdom"... and kibitzing is encouraged.

Season 2:

Considering Fenspace has been a recognizable entity for a decade by this point, and considering that (most of) the Mads tend to share their work, I would suspect most base scanner technology is uniform across space. However, scanners/sensors built by particular factions, companies, or other organizations will have different specializations.

Thus, everybody who does astronomical or astrophysical research wants FedFen or Artemis sensors, while biophysicists prefer scanners made by the Supers, and targeting sensors built by the Warsies are second to none.

Being a business operating in space with a former chief engineer who specializes in explosives work, StellviaCorp has some very, very good high-energy and hull-integrity sensors.

Reverse-engineering of scanners discovered in some Boskonian bases, including Boskone Prime, indicate that somebodyThe usual suspects are Asmodeus Grey and Agatha Clay, but they're the usual suspects for all Bosko-Mad tech. is interested in looking for particular genotypes. "Why" is still a matter of debate - it doesn't seem to affect the results of the various Catgirling Machines.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:...interested in looking for particular genotypes...
Looking for either the magegift gene or the local version of metahumans is my guess.

I have some ideas for an active FTL sensor system the cats at Nostromo are working on... interesting for this thread?

Quote:DeputyJones wrote:
Looking for either the magegift gene or the local version of metahumans is my guess.
Lets not forget that both are Mads.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

HRogge Wrote:I have some ideas for an active FTL sensor system the cats at Nostromo are working on... interesting for this thread?
Sure, why not?

Dakota Wrote:
Quote:DeputyJones wrote:

Lets not forget that both are Mads.
And Boskonians, so he/she/they probably aren't doing this just for the lolz...
--
Rob Kelk

Interwave Detection And Ranging (IDAR)

The IDAR project is a continuous effort or the Catgirls of the Little Big Bang Labs for a long range ship detection system. With the Limit of Nostromo only a few million kilometers away from the large planet, the time between the detection of an enemy spacecraft and the craft entering weapon range to the station was too short in their opinion.

The first generation IDAR is a large rotating Radar dish that has been waved to send and receive Interwave signals. The Interwave signals are reflected by most active Fenspace FTL drive fields and the returning signals are displayed in the command center on a holographic screen.

Current research activities include an experimental phase array IDAR and modified Handwavium strains to increase the sensitivity of the system or reducing the amount of quirks.

In general purpose hand held scanners, the Tricorder still reigns supreme. Yes it's expensive, but so flexible quite a lot of people save up and buy them. It's baby brother the Tacorder is pretty much standard equipment for FESWAT, GJ squads, and other such luminaries.

FTL sensors are not so rare as such, with the Trekkies' subspace tech. The powerful sensors of the White Stallion and Prometheus Forge are more or less Eddie's fault (A.C. generally focuses on medtech and lab sensors, which means exotic energies/materials and extreme-detail but close range scanners), which gets him work requests on sensor integration and processing projects.

Besides A.C. and other Mads, if you want to look for the really weird you can talk to The Professor.

Wiki page is up. It needs an image...
--
Rob Kelk