Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...
So...
Please read this first: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/09/ ... ickwolves/

You're back? Okay, I'll go on.

From what I've heard, there's no reason to assume their analogues wouldn't have done the same in Fenspace. And it's their right to say whatever they want, no matter how much other people dislike what they say.

But one thing that Mal and I have said many times is that actions have consequences. And we had established that the big Fen gaming convention was called "PAX Venus," and took place in Crystal Seattle. That's Senshi territory.

There's no way the Senshi would want to continue to be associated with PAX after this stunt. I doubt the other major factions would want to invite them in, either.

So, I've renamed "PAX Venus" to "CrystalCon" in the FenWiki, pending suggestions of a better name. I'll leave it up to the Fenspace Collective whether we want to make the change retroactive or actually have the renaming take place in-universe...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/09/04/ ... rification

Context is a pretty critical issue. The explanation for why he regrets pulling the merchandise puts the thing in an entirely different light.

True. But once the magic smoke's out of the CPU, you can't put it back in...
--
Rob Kelk

After a certain point, all the context in the world means precisely jack. Actions have consequences and no amount of "oh but I meant this" and smug passive-aggressive "you can still hate me if you want" is going to change that. Gabe made his bed, he can sleep in it.

As far as it goes pertaining to Fenspace... while I am loath to wedge in post-wave current events, I personally see no reason not to see PAX getting exiled back to the Land of Thud for this dopey shit. It's a minor enough thing to be changed in the wiki & I don't think anybody had any stories set at PAX Venus, right?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

I have no objections, and at this point I can't see myself ever writing any of my characters going to any PAX-sponsored event, so.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I have no problem with the retcon, that said banning them to the "land of thud" seems a little harsh. not allowing PAX events at the main stations i can understand. On the other hand you cant ban them from space so if they set up their own station they are free to continue holding PAX events even if only their own fandom attendends

Quote:M Fnord wrote:
After a certain point, all the context in the world means precisely jack. Actions have consequences and no amount of "oh but I meant this" and smug passive-aggressive "you can still hate me if you want" is going to change that. Gabe made his bed, he can sleep in it.
Very much this. People are upset, the only thing that goes over is a heartfelt, unconditional apology to those offended. Explanations tend to not only bounce off, but actually feed the flames.
(Do note that this is also the reason why most smart wise comedians try to avoid making fun of touchy subjects, because it's hard to poke fun at them in any meaningful way without also poking particular sore spots of some people's psyche's with a very sharp, red hot stick.)
Quote:As far as it goes pertaining to Fenspace... while I am loath to wedge in post-wave current events, I personally see no reason not to see PAX getting exiled back to the Land of Thud for this dopey shit. It's a minor enough thing to be changed in the wiki & I don't think anybody had any stories set at PAX Venus, right?
I do agree, and I also agree with the sentiment that one should be loath to make changes in these cases.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Mal, nobody has posted any stories at any of the gaming venues in Fenspace, as far as I can find.

Rajvik, they're free to do and say whatever they want. Similarly, everyone else is also free to say or do whatever they want, and that includes saying "take it elsewhere"...
--
Rob Kelk

oh agreed rob, they aint bringing it to Solaris 7 Station thats for bloody sure,

Too early in the timeline for Hyperlight Industries to refuse their airfares.

Bah. They don't post here, so I doubt you'll see a Penny Arcade Station lifting any time soon. Everyone has their own ideas of what's cool, no need to go coopting a webcomic just to be offensive.

Well, maybe Controversial Jack. Possibly. I think that (and everything else at ImproManga) is now lost to the shifting of the intertubes, though.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows