Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Fiction] Test Flight
[Fiction] Test Flight
MARCH 5, 2015
AVALON SPACEPORT, MELBOURNE, EARTH
As the cargo hatch slid closed, Chris scribbled his signature on the paperwork, removed one of the carbon copies, and handed it over to the truck driver. “And that should do it,” he commented with a smile.
The driver, who had to be in his early twenties at best, nodded slightly, before looking back over the ship in front of him again with a slightly awed expression. “So, this is gonna fly all the way to Jupiter?” the boy asked, his voice an entertaining mix of wonder and disbelief at the concept.
“She makes that run at least two to three times a month,” the Void Eagles captain confirmed, resting a hand against a landing strut. He decided not to confuse the kid by trying to explain that the current relative positions of both planets meant that the trip was actually quicker and easier than it often was. Even a lot of people living in space had a hard time understanding how planetary orbits reshaped their maps, after all. “We could make the whole trip in one go, honestly, but I’ve got some other deliveries to make along the way, so...”
Considering that for a moment, the youth scratched at his neck. “Huh. That’s wild,” he said at last. “Um… good flight, I guess,” he added, before turning and walking back towards his truck, pausing for a moment to give a curious glance at the bulky astromech droid rolling down the ships boarding ramp. He paused, turning his head towards the human, the large blue optic that served as his ‘face’ regarding him blankly. At that, the man jumped slightly and sped up, nearly jogging towards his own vehicle.
Watching him leave, Chris frowned slightly. “Hmm. He’s a little jumpy, isn’t he?”
Rolling off the ramp, the droid made his way over to his captain, chirping cheerfully.
Shrugging, Chris conceded the point. “Okay Tee, I’ll pay that. Hell, If Jack keeps him on as a driver, I guess he’ll get that.” He gave T7-01 an affectionate pat on the head as he walked past him to check the seals on the cargo hatch. “You’ve never been one to shy away from making new friends, after all.”
the droid replied, before his optic glowed brighter, and a tiny holographic figure appeared in the air in front of it. A blue haired girl in what appeared to be her late teens, clad in worn spacers coveralls and an old leather jacket.
“Personally, I think you enjoy messing with the ‘Danes,” Kitbash mused. “I mean, it’s not exactly muggle-baiting, but still, you definitely like having them off-balance.”
Glancing over at her, Chris couldn't suppress a grin. "You might have a point there," he admitted. "There's just something oddly amusing about being the odd one." Considering that for a moment, he chuckled softly. "I gotta wonder, when did this become normal for me?" he asked, more to himself than his crew. Checking the seals one last time, he folded up the paperwork and put them in his pocket. "So,more importantly, how's the flight plan look?"
Pulling a notepad out of thin air, the Void Eagles AI pretended to study it. "All plotted and arranged," she confirmed, adjusting her glasses. "Even if we left tonight, we'd get to Jupiter with about twelve hours to spare. That said," she added, looking back up at him, "while you were loading, I got an email from the Roughriders. Gina wants to know if we have time for some courier work."
Her avatar vanished from view, replaced by the email in question. Chris leaned in for a closer look, considering locations and flight times, then nodded. “Yeah, we can do that. Send off the usual deal.”
Replacing the email, Kitbash gave a sketchy salute. “Aye-aye Captain.” Pausing, she glanced to her left, then raised one eyebrow. “By the by, incoming rabbit.”
Chris gave her a confused look, before turning to see a familiar bunnygirl approaching the Void Eagle. Brown hair, five and a half feet tall, a body that did impressive things to the Liberion Army Air Corps uniform jacket she was wearing, and a distinct lack of pants (Although it seemed she was showing some mercy on the delicate nature of Earthers and wearing a bikini bottom as opposed to showing off her underwear). “Well now, ain’t this a welcome sight!” she laughed. “Long time no see Skipper.”
Grinning, Chris stepped forward and shook the womans hand, suppressing the urge to wince as, as always, she made a challenge of it. “Shirley Yeager,” he said in a tone of profound satisfaction. “It’s been too damn long. Last I heard, you were up in Canberra. Something about helping to draft flight regulations?”
Releasing the handshake, Shirley nodded. “Yer federal government’s started working out the rules and regs to cover ‘single person experimental extra small air vehicles,’” she explained, making the classic quotation gesture with her hands. At her friends mildly confused look, she snickered. “Jetpacks, rocketboots, that dumbass that tried flying over the Harbor bridge in a homemade Iron Man suit back in January, ya get me?”
T7 noted.
Shirley shrugged apologetically. “Sorry Seven, still don’t got the ears for binary,” she admitted.
“He was complimenting you,” Kitbash assured her, although she looked somewhat skeptical. “Which I should point out, means everyone here knows each other except…” Her voice trailed off and she gave the two physical humanoids a significant look.
“Right. Sorry. Dumb. Kit, this is Shirley Yeager, formerly of Great Justice and the Space Patrol,” her captain said, gesturing towards the woman, who smirked and bowed slightly. “Teeseven and I worked with her a few times back during the Boskone War. Shirley, this is my daughter Arturia Wood, AI of the Void Eagle.”
“Call me Kitbash,” she offered. “Arturia’s just for the paperwork.”
Grinning, the bunnygirl nodded. “Pleasure to meet ya Kitbash.” Looking back at Chris, she smirked. “So, ya ended up a papa after all.”
“And as I always claimed would be the case, she’s just as bad as me,” he replied with a grin, ignoring the glare Kitbash gave him. Shirley snorted, reaching over and giving T7 a friendly pat on the head. “Anyway, yeah, last I heard you were in Canberra. Or is that all finished?”
“Gawd, I wish,” the girl moaned, shoulders and ears slumping dramatically. “Freaking REMFs. No idea how a plane works, let along anything ‘waved up. Nah, I’m down here on a side project,” she said, cheering back up instantly. “Little somethin’ me and a few buddies have been working on for, oh, year or so.” Her grin became a smirk as she leaned in closer, pressing against him. “And, knowing ya the way I do, I gotta say, I think you’d find it utterly fascinating,” she purred. “Care to follow me into a dark and mysterious hanger?”
Considering his friend for a long moment, and pretending to ignore the suddenly dubious glare his daughter was giving Shirley (Not that different from when some catgirls he knew got affectionate actually), Chris returned the bunnygirls smirk with one of his own. “Why Agent Cottontail, you remain as tempting as ever… lead the way.”
The old nickname got a laugh out of the woman, utterly ruining the mock-sultry stance she’d taken, and she backed up, spun on the spot, gesturing for them to follow. Human and droid glanced at each other, the human chuckled, and then the pair followed, Kitbashs avatar continuing to float in front of T7, still looking suspicious.

Oh I like this guy.

Yeah, he'd definitely fit in with the folks on the Corners.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Weirdly, reading this seems to have broken some of the writers block I'd been having towards my own stuff. XD
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

I like this. The writing makes them seem like people.

[Image: 77SZP.gif]
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

“I did lie about one minor detail,” Shirley called back over her shoulder as she led the trio into a hanger on the far side of the spaceport. “I mean, this place actually has decent lighting.” Waving a hand, she indicated a small group of men and woman unloading equipment from the back of a clearly Fen truck. “Anyhow, I got some friends for ya to meet. Hey guys... Guys?”

Her smile faltered slightly as everyone in front of her kept working, seemingly having failed to notice her return. After a few more seconds, her smile vanished completely, replaced by a frown. Next to her, Chris tried not to laugh as the bunnygirls expression continued to sour. Eventually, growing impatient, she fired off an ear-piercing whistle that caused several people to jump in surprise (And made Chris wince and give her an irritated glare). “Hey, hello!”

“Christ Shirley,” Chris grumbled, rubbing at his ear.

Dropping a cardboard box on a table, a Vulcan in a custom Starfleet uniform gave Shirley an irritated look. “Ah, Miss Yeager, welcome back. You’ll be happy to know that we are just about finished unloading,” he noted dryly, then raised one eyebrow. “You have convenient timing.”

Blushing slightly, Shirley ran a hand through her hair. “ Yeah, sorry ‘bout that Joe. But I come bearing good news!” she offered. “And a friend. Everyone, this is Chris.” Slapping him on the back, she smiled widely. “I worked with him back in the day, and I know he’s good for what we need. The droid is Teeseven-Oh-One, and the little AI hologram with him calls herself Kitbash. Chris, Tee, kid, these guys are the rest of Project Miyafuji, little something we’ve been working on for, what, nearly a year now.”

Giving the gathered people a half wave, half salute, and getting similar greetings in return, Chris took a moment to consider what Shirley had just said. It didn’t take long for understanding to dawn, and he turned to give her a thoughtful look. “I do remember your biomod’s source material,” he pointed out, drawing a laugh from several of the group, Shirley included.

“Source material…? Google time,” Kitbash said, looking confused. Her avatar flickered for a moment as she directed her awareness elsewhere, and when it stabilised, her expression was much more amused. “Ohhh, so that’s why you’re not wearing pants. I was wondering about that,” she admitted.

One or two of the Project Miyafuji team looked mildly embarrassed, and Chris looked like he was trying not to facepalm. For her part, Shirley threw pack her head and laughed, delighted. “And you were still too polite to ask!”
T7 commented dryly.

Still snickering, the bunnygirl led the Void Eagles crew around several of her teammates, revealing two items on a modified work bench that were somewhat familiar to the Captain. “Well, going by Strike Witches is the right idea,” she commented. “You might have seen these before.”

“Never a physical one in person,” he replied, stepping over for a closer look. Two hollow cylinders, each slightly over a meter long, one wing mounted on each one. Panels currently open on the side of one showing an intricate, complex engine. At the far end, propeller blades in a slightly unconventional shape, made from a material he couldn’t identify. Some sort of crystal?

It certainly resembled the magically-powered ‘aeroplane pants’ from the Strike Witches anime, although there was still something about it that made Chris stop and take a second look. After a moment, he frowned. In the source material, the Striker units were the local counterparts of WWII fighter planes, and they all clearly looked the part. The Striker here in front of him did not. It was unpainted, with no details that really reminded Chris of any specific plane. The air intakes and control surfaces were surprisingly complex. And Shirley had said they’d been working on this for nearly a year?

Carefully, he turned to look at his friend, who was waiting patiently, clearly knowing what he was about to ask. “Shirley, just how much Handwavium is in this?” he asked.

“None at all,” she replied in a tone of profound satisfaction. “If I wanted a ‘waved Striker, I could make it over the weekend. Done it before, will do it again. This,” she declared, raising her hands, “is pure hardtech.”

Joe picked up the explanation, grinning as he took in the other man's mildly stunned expression. “It certainly wasn’t easy, I have to admit. Some elements of the design are taken from various technologies in the Catalog, other parts from general tech advancements the Fenspace age has made possible.”

Over by the truck, a dark-skinned woman smirked. “Lots of test models, wind tunnel runs… A few AIs over on Venus got interested in the concept, offered us some simulator time. It might sound crazy, but we think we’ve got it to work.” She shrugged slightly. “‘Course, today’s the real test, isn’t it?”

“How so?” Kitbash asked, giving the Striker a skeptical look.

“First physical test flight,” Shirley answered. “I’ve been training in Wave Strikers whenever I had the time, mostly to help work out just how this one’s gonna even steer, but we wanted to be damn sure we had this thing built right before I even thought about taking it up.” Patting the left Striker gently, she gave the tiny hologram girl a weak smile. “Pure hardtech can have a hell of a kick to it.”

“That’s… one way of phrasing it,” Chris mused, scratching at his chin thoughtfully. “You said you had a need for me?” he asked.

Turning back towards the cardboard box, Joe started unpacking assorted tools and setting them out on the table. “As much as I’m sure Shirley would love the thrill of taking the Striker up all alone, with nothing but her skill and luck to keep her alive if something went wrong-” Reluctantly, the bunnygirl nodded, conceding the point, “some of us are a little more protective of our project. And her, to a lesser extent,” he added a moment later.

Giving the Vulcan a glare, and ignoring the chuckles passing around the rest of the group, Shirley took over the explanation. “Two chase fliers, keeping pace with me, just in case something goes wrong. We’ve got a pair of ‘waved jetpacks for that. Sally’s flying one,” she said, nodding at the blonde cyborg girl in the group, who gave a shy little wave. “The other one should be handled by Johnny, but he’s not here today,” she grumbled.

“Be fair Shirl,” the dark-skinned woman said. “It’s really not his fault.” Chris gave her a curious look and she shrugged. “Stuck in the Belt when his flight hit trouble.”

“Ah. Hate when that happens.” He waited a moment, looking at Shirley thoughtfully, then smiled. “My pack’s in Bendigo though, so I’m hoping Johnny wasn’t bringing his with him?”

Walking over to the truck, Shirley reached into the back and dragged out what looked like a small jet turbine and straps. “I think we’re good.”

Ha, the forums tries to turn T7's line into code and it vanished. Might need to find a different indicator for droidspeak.

Use HTML markup for the less-than and greater-than signs - & lt; and & gt; (without the spaces after the ampersands), respectively.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I've found you only need to do the less-than.

Still, hardtech Strikers? 'Tiss the age of Miracle and Wonder...

Well, MD did say quite a bit of it came from the Whole Fenspace Cataloge... I'd expect theres no way to come close without its magictech items
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Project Miyafuji is revolutionary, there's no denying that. Every person involved in it is there, in their spare time, out of a fondness for the source material and the challenge it represents, and the technology involved comes from all over Fenspace.

Its power cells are a scaled down version of a design intended for the Artemis Foundations new generation of unmanned FTL probes. The durable yet lightweight materials come from the Catalog and a Gundam project at Marsbase Sera. The fly-by-wire program was worked out by the Banzai institute (Apparently Buckaroo owed Shirley a favor. Both simply smile when asked), and will later become the source of a lot of human scale semi-waved flight system code across explored space.

Despite this, it's immensely unlikely the Striker would enter even limited production. Putting aside the atmosphere only limitation, its a niche design even by Fen standards. On top of that, simulations suggest that if an unmodded human, or even a biomod without Shirley's enhanced strength, tried wearing it, the results would not be suitable for viewing by minors.

And that's assuming the thing flies even half as well as they hope...

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
On top of that, simulations suggest that if an unmodded human, or even a biomod without Shirley's enhanced strength, tried wearing it, the results would not be suitable for viewing by minors.
now your just .... ahem...  splitting hares, MD. :p
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children