Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Slice of Life] State of the Rats
[Slice of Life] State of the Rats
to:local-call.residents(a)friggarock.fen
Subj: The State of the Rats... #8.

Alright, it's been 8 months and everyone's started to settle in.

First and most important, congratulations to Mimi and Lex and their new gynoid, 'Mutsu'. I'm sure everyone wishes her a long and happy life. Mutsu is doing well, and the happy parents have already started fitting her out for her first set of cannon.

On the Agenda for this month, the ongoing election to Parliament which has entered its sixth month, results from last month's referendum on structural development budgets, Rose Duellists, reactor maintenance plans, new businesses opening up, Hackerspace, Catgirls BBQ, Motorcon 2024, MAGI updates and a surprise for 2025.

So, without further ado, it's been a busy month.

1: Election Time 2024. Politics
For the fourth time, 'None of the Above' has beaten out all other candidates, earning a total of 152 First Preference Votes, meeting the quota at the first count. As a consequence, neither candidate will be eligible for the next runoff.

I would also like to congratulate everyone on causing an ongoing constitutional crisis in Crystal Tokyo.

It's looking likely that Queen Serenity II may directly appoint someone to the seat. I'm sure we will all extend our sympathies to whatever poor sod she chooses.

Until then, we'll continue operating as we have.

2: Structural Development.

Results on the development budget referendum are in...

66% of our budget is going towards repair of the existing railroad tracks, purchase of locomotives and stock. This is enough money to purchase and ship a single roadworthy EMD JT22CW locomotive to Frigga, a supply of spare parts, and enough rolling stock to provide a basic passenger and freight service between accommodation block, the mine and the main landing bay. It'll also be compatible with Galaxy Railways track if someone decides to handwave the thing. It's 50 years old, but this is solid iron. We didn't assign enough cash for electrification or an electric engine.

18% is going towards Defense upgrades. This is enough to purchase and equip a pair of fighters, and pay for aircrew training. Or, add full defensive missile batteries to the surface. Or equip a few Tachikoma. Answers on a postcard.

8% is going towards infrastructure and habitability upgrades. This will just about cover the basic biomass costs of setting up the arboretum. It will still require some volunteer work and private contributions to get done, but we can do it.

Backbone upgrades earn 4%, which is enough to replace some old Cisco gear, while Interwave ransmitter gets 3. We might be able to clean the thing and un-jam the secondary, but it's never going to handle KoFen at that level. The whole array will need to be replaced, as detailed.

1% is going towards investigating how to install drives on Frigga to move it around the Solar System.

The Vote on the Defense upgrades will be a simple one. Three choices. Pick what you want. STV as usual. Options are:
*Fighters
*Missiles
*Tachikoma
*Grab an expert and let them pick.

In this case, the expert will likely be myself, or Daryl.

3: Rose Duellists

Look, guys, technically what you're doing is illegal. So's a lot of what people do out here. It's one of the benefits of being a few AU from Venus, if you catch my drift. We don't have an AMP presence yet – the wheels of bureaucracy turn slow unless somebody does something stupid and greases them.

But to the particular moron who thought it was a good idea to cut a watermain with an axe to re-enact their favourite scene from a movie - you should know your little recreation drained the main water cistern of a grand total of over 4,000 hectolitres of drinking water this time.

If anyone's missing their daily shower or bath for the last week or so, you know who to blame. I don't. This also means the People's Recreational Swimming Pool will be closed until we grab some fresh ice. Lun will be departing on a mission in three days.

If this keeps happening, it'll have to be dealt with. Nobody wants the law to get heavy out here. We rely on people not being bloody morons so nobody in Tokyo has to 'think of the children'.

4: Reactor Maintenance.

Engineers from Lensherr will be here on the 30th of the month to perform a series of certification tests on the turbine for Unit 04. We may experience power failures, depending on the test schedule they wish to perform. Don't start anything that can't tolerate being interrupted halway through. And don't say you weren't warned if you do.

I've received a few questions about one particular item. Yes, I know the history – it's on the reactor nameplate - but they assure me there's no risk of an accident during the rundown test. They just want to make sure that the inertia of the freewheeling turbine will generate enough power to drive the cooling pumps for the few seconds it takes for the auxiliary systems to take over. I know the omens are less than ideal, but it has to happen. Technically, 04 is the best for the test.

No big deal. It has to be done, or we have to shut the plant down in three months. We like heat and power.

5: New Businesses

Looks like we gained our first official pub. The 'Rock and a Hard Place'. Prop. Gabriel Ermine. Offering both homebrew, and some of the best of imported from around the Verse. Mezzanine Level 2 on the main public Concourse. Karaoke every Thursday, and hopefully a band on Saturdays. Barfood for the first week after the supply ship comes in.

Real Food may eventually be served, if he can agree something with Linsey.

Linsey tells me the Midoriyah is actually making money – especially with the traffic from Survival Shot. So it's not impossible to do.

Kotono's Phitness Bee gym remains open an available to all residents. She's also offering courses in 3DMG emloyment, having just completed certification on Luna as an instructor. Try it – it's fun.

Stellvia Oils will be opening a dedicated, staffed, petrol station within the next two weeks. So all your favourite vehicles won't need to pump from drums of the stuff. It should be safer, for a start.

6: Hackerspace

The old engineer's bays in the power plant have been converted into something resembling a Hackerspace. We've got a good selection of tools, from secondhand cyber-gear, to a chassis dyno for vehicles, and the usual array of workshop tools, and software. We also have a HV mains feed directly off the trafo for Turbine 1 in case anyone needs Frankenstein levels of power or wants to hack up a particle accelerator or something crazy like that.

Participation is encouraged from everyone. Even if you don't think you'll fit in, you will. You just need an idea, and a willingness to both help, and be helped.

Weekly subs are ten credits, which covers tooling, the occasional equipment rental, or using Xr-71.

Fooling Nature is our pastime.

7: Catgirl BBQ

We'll be having a joint BBQ with CGI on the 27th, up in the dome. This will be genuine, charcoal-fired dead animal in all its glory.

And a vegetarian option.

I've got the beer order in with GC and I think I can find a few old bottles of Rocket Fuel lying around if anyone's feeling adventurous.

8: Motorcon 2024
We're a month away from Motorcon 2024. Registration closed yesterday with an extra 50% over last year. This is fantastic news – especially for the few businesses just starting out here. It's looking to be a bumper weekend for everyone involved.

Please remember that the road a tunnel closures will be in effect from the 20th, to enable for setup and maintenance.

Also, if you're planning to attend, please read the harassment and code-of-conduct policies. Not only are they different from other cons – they're different for a reason.

We all know motorsport is dangerous. It's line 1 on the ticket. But there's no sense in making it more dangerous than it has to be.

9: MAGI system progress
Anika informs me that the last, week-long, test of the MAGI system was a success. The new system ran Frigga for 7 days, without major issue. Hammond, Malcolm and Grant functioned as expected, even with the Nedry system deliberately creating system errors and malfunctions, the voting system held

A few little glitches were thrown up, but on the whole the test went well. There's no showstoppers. We're looking to go live the month after Motorcon at this rate.

Which should put an end to DCAMS scheduling maintenance on your shower for a date 12 months away, and sending an exocomp to re-break it after you fix it.

MAGI promises to be more responsive, more reliable, and most importantly, more flexible and maintainable than TITANIC. And actually useable by people who don't know what a command line is.

Anika has been invited to give a talk on the MAGI system at this year's Cybercon. Wish her luck!

Which just about ends this month's newsletter, except for.

10: One more thing...

Survival Shot, Zenith of Things Tournament 001.

May, 2025.

I think. We just signed a sponsor. Full announcement with details will come in December. But it's happening.

Until Next Month.

-Jet.

------------------

Messages In This Thread
[Slice of Life] State of the Rats - by Dartz - 07-28-2015, 08:49 AM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 08-09-2015, 02:32 AM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 08-09-2015, 04:35 PM
[No subject] - by Rajvik - 08-09-2015, 05:56 PM
[No subject] - by Dartz - 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM
[No subject] - by Foxboy - 08-09-2015, 08:41 PM
[No subject] - by JakeGrey - 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM
[No subject] - by HRogge - 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM