Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just for fun: If we didn't have our self-imposed limits
Just for fun: If we didn't have our self-imposed limits
We've all agreed to the setting rules. We've also agreed that no one character can do everything allowed by the setting rules - or, for that matter, everything that would be convenient for that character. The meta reason is that being able to do everything is boring from a story perspective (ref. "http://allthetropes.org/wiki/So_You_Wa ... a_Mary_Sue]So You Want To/Avoid Writing a Mary Sue").

But what if each character could do everything in his, her, or its field that's allowed by the setting rules?

This could lead to some serious power escalation - and some serious character clashes. But it could also lead to some fun...

Exhibit A: Noah Scott can build any android, not just meganekko based on fictional characters. "Hello, I'm the vice-president of Stellvia Corporation, these are my bodyguards, and I'm here to discuss that merger you seem to not want."

[Image: Why%20Noah%20can%27t%20build%20just%20any%20robot.png]

Any more?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Wolfboy Bostwick having full morphing ability from normal human to full Crinos GoF

"There's a problem with you making me angry like this. I have full control of my faculties and can get anywhere you can, and then rip you limb from limb. What in the elder gods were you thinking when you caused this?"

The Cobra Mk1F would've been an authentic Elite-era Cobra Mk3, complete with hyperdrive with functionally unlimited range and sublight engines that run off zero-point energy or something and never need refuelling, not to mention up to four solid-state laser cannons capable of disintegrating an asteroid nearly as big as the whole ship in one shot.

Greenwood has long since said "Yeah, lolnope", loaded up about a million or so people in a much-expanded Macross-type hull, and buggered off for parts well away from the madness.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Jet.... would probably be the exact same.
Star Crash, and build the golden Imperial battleship for the express reasons of: A)presenting long, drawn-out holographic expositions to denizens of Fen Space, and B)Being able to verbally enact the, "Imperial Battleship, HALT the flow of time!"(for two whole minutes!) order and have it actually work! 
Whoops! That first reason has more to do with the second giant battleship that he'd build, Lord Sador's Hammerhead! His Stellar Converter is way less fun than his Wizard of Oz class giant head holography unit! Mu ha ha ha ha! Exposit, exposit exposit! 

Limits are good to have.