Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aces High!
RE: Aces High!
To: [userslist]
Subj: I can't afford this anymore.

Okay.

This is sort of growing beyond my control and that's great and all but I really can't afford all this server time. Even with some gratis contributions from a few friends and interested parties and some things I probably shouldn't known about, I'm hitting the wall most days at peak times.

I still have a job to do most days. I can't handle all the emails inquiring about queue lengths, and - some of the emails have been a bit cruel.

I've tried not to charge people for this and tried to give actual things when I do. I don't want to do the wallet-warrior thing where someone can fling money at it and ruin the whole game - or where it starts getting misereable halfway through to 'encourage' you to pay and I want to try and keep things open with a community, so here's what I'm proposing.

I want to do it as a subscription fee. The fee's tied directly to time logged in. Rather than being a fixed fee for a month, it'll be charged as a certain amount of tokens a per-minute or a per-game basis. So you pay 20 credits for 2000 tokens or so. Games at peak times will need more tokens to play - so it's more expensive to play at busy times, than at non-busy times. The cost to play will be sort of based directly on the capacity of the network, like supply and demand. It's completely dynamic

But, I'd rather people contribute.

So, in the next update for the system I'm going to push an option setting - that'll let you use your own deck to contribute computing power to the system, and the system will issue tokens that you can use to play the game. The idea being that, if you support a token's worth of play - you get the token. That means you get more tokens for adding processing power at peak times when it's needed, and less when it's not.

My own system will generate the basic tokens at the same rate as everyone elses that'll go to the master account. Everyone elses will go to your account. Tokens deplete as you play - according to the rate, or if you want to buy unique stuff like DLC, or even deck hardware from me.

The tokens themselves have a constant value. The only thing that changes is the amount of tokens needed to play. The more contributors, the fewer tokens are spent, the less worthwhile it is to mine them. The less contributors - the more tokens are spend, the more lucrative it is to mine them, and the more time I need to spend on it - so the more I get paid and the more worthwhile it is to add time to the system because you get more time back.

Oh, and to make it worth your while - if you want to sell tokens to other players - you can do that too. The system will let you do that - with a nominal charge for the processing time needed to make it happen. Basically how it works is that the buyer buys the tokens from me - and then I buy the tokens from you - and I take a markup on the transaction because it costs the system time to process it and I have to maintain all the wallet records and security stuffs, and my payment processor takes their bit. If you want me to handle it automatically - I can do that too if you mark tokens as saleable.

There're better economic minds out there than me and I've still to set the actual prices on things

--

Model updates.

RF-47-C (Caesar) model. Updated to this year's spacecraft. Uprated engine performance. Revised centre structural element - arrestor hook, main landing gear, engine centre mounts, wingspar attachement and two new hardpoints, to fit either CFTs or a pair of Meteor missiles Updated passive IRST - All Aspects with track prediction and pilot HMD. Primary track sensors dnow provided by Meteor seaker heads when fitted to gear-door hardpoints.

In theory this one can actually fight. In reality, they changed the rules to stop to landing gear from getting atrophied and make us arm it more.

--

I really would appreciate feedback on the economy model - I want it to work in a fair way rather than an EA's Mobile Soccer sort of way.

Until next time.
-Anika

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
Aces High! - by Dartz - 05-06-2017, 01:27 AM
RE: Aces High! - by Dartz - 11-15-2017, 07:00 PM
RE: Aces High! - by robkelk - 11-15-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: Aces High! - by Dartz - 06-28-2018, 06:21 PM
RE: Aces High! - by ECSNorway - 07-03-2018, 09:40 AM
RE: Aces High! - by Rajvik - 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM
RE: Aces High! - by Dartz - 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM
RE: Aces High! - by robkelk - 07-08-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: Aces High! - by Dartz - 07-09-2018, 04:53 PM
RE: Aces High! - by Dartz - 01-04-2019, 07:14 PM