Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovering from the Sabotage
Recovering from the Sabotage
I wish I'd thought of this last week...
Just in case we're one of the 50% of gold boards that won't get all its data back, it occurs to me that the best thing we can do is raid the Google cache and Wayback Machine for everything we can find. Re-entering it all into the forums would be a pain and a half, but if we each volunteered for one thread at a time, it would be a bit easier.
Thoughts, opinions, brickbats?

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Re: Recovering from the Sabotage
Better to have it here than to risk losing it if something happens to the Wayback Machine, IMHO.
But let's wait until we know whether we're going to get restored. On a related note, the latest update mentioned this:
Quote:
As we stated yesterday, if a thread was not replied to in the time between the attack and when the server your board is on was rebooted, then the information in that thread is most likely permanently lost.
Perhaps we should go into the forums and start replying to threads now...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Not a bad idea... since I'm home today because we're having a new furnace and A/C put in, I might do that. However, Peggy's also home with me, and she might have something to say about me being at the computer all morning.

-- Bob
---------
Unfortunately, the Wayback machine copies of the forum pages were last updated October 19, 2004.
I don't know from the Google cache.
Chris Davies.
Well, an October copy should help us reconstruct a lot of the TK1940 encyclopedia entries, at least.
And I tried the Google cache a few days ago. Unfortunately, while it seems to have all the individual forum topic lists, the actual threads themselves don't seem to be archived, at least not so I could find them with searches.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Just in case we're one of the 50% of gold boards that won't get all its data back, it occurs to me that the best thing we can do is raid the Google cache and Wayback Machine for everything we can find.
And I thought I was paranoid to have copied down the entire RAAC archive a while back, in case something happened to it. And then this happened, and I see that I may not be as paranoid as first thought. (I ended up burning CDs of this archive backup for gifts for the ACen fanfic panelists)
Don't know about you, Bob, but I'm quite impressed with how ezBoard is handling all this. Sure, it's likely this board is going to lose things (for example, the last I looked the donation page was empty, where several donations and payments had been shown before), but it could have been much worse. I especially like how they're making public announcements to keeping informed everyone who wants to be. They didn't have to do that at all.
Jeanne

www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic
[Image: buddyicon_sm.gif]

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
That's one of the things they said they were hoping to get restored, as I recall. We didn't actually lose any money, as I renewed the board subscription with about 20 days to go before it expired, which was not long after all the contributions came in and some weeks before this whole mess.

-- Bob
---------
The wayback machine runs about six months behind, for some reason -- just because there isn't an archive of some historical pages now doesn't mean they won't be there in the future (if you see what I mean). So probably someone should keep an eye on it.