Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So much for me solving problems?
So much for me solving problems?
Well, I offered to try and figure out how to fix any problems or discrepancies with the new board theme...

And then I looked at it in a different web browser, and everything I was complaining about disappeared. o.O

So, being at a bit of a loss now, I thought I'd just ask all of you to do the hard part, and tell me what you see that's wrong as it is now? Then, I
can see if I can find a way to fix it.

Things I've already been able to look into:

Text unwrapped in teaser posts and such - Fixing this will probably require editing the posts. Whether they can be fixed without manually rewrapping or not, I
don't know, but it doesn't *look* like anything in the skin or board settings would cause this.

Kudos - If we don't need these (which I don't think we do), unchecking the "kudos column" box in control panel/community settings/display
preferences will remove the columns for them, which'll make things a little cleaner looking.

Anyone got anything else?

I was gonna say 'make it so that mozilla can use the rich editor', but apparently that self-fixed while I was playing CoH.

_skin it_.

this white garbage hurts and sucks.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

You know, for years I've been intending to replace the default color scheme here with something custom, but I never got around to it. (The fact
that I couldn't decide what I liked didn't help.) So if people want to suggest alternate color schemes and styles and whatnot, I'm open to
suggestion.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
New color scheme?
I find the SJGames Forums scheme easy on the eyes, although I suppose a direct rip-off of it would be a no-go...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

whyever not? file off the serial numbers, slap a disclaimer on it, and let's go.

I can't see Steve Jackson Games pitching a fit, especially if all we're using is the color scheme and some of the layout cues.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

I did while I was poking around find a piece of code that lets people choose a forum skin that they like themselves, but the person running the forum has to
select which skins will be available, and it seems to have to be done in several different places...

(And all it really does is change the CSS file that's used, which some browsers can do on their own anyway...)

It's really kind of a dubious system looking at it from this angle.

-Morgan, at least in this browser I don't have to put in my line breaks manually...

Morgan, if you're still having problems by tonight, say so, and I'll promote you to some level of admin to see if that makes the task easier.
-- Bob
---------

Well, it's not so much that I'm having problems, as I'm no longer sure what problems there are that *can* be fixed on this level. If you wanted to
do that I could put in that multiple skin thing and maybe get some different options for people, and see if there's anything that could/should be tweaked
on this one more easily...

However, it must be said that while I can *implement* color schemes, no one should want me to *pick* the color scheme.

And Bob, what do you think about borrowing the color scheme from the SJGames forum? As in "Do you believe it's okay to do?" Since this is your
forum. Personally, it's not one I'd want to use, but with that skin selector thing that wouldn't be an issue.

I'll keep looking around on the skinning board and the various other stuff to see if there's any other useful things that can be done, but it looks
like the basic layout is pretty much not open to alteration.

ETA: Well, I've figured out a couple new things. There seems to be one way of doing a quote that produces a box around it, and one that doesn't, and
I've found out how to get it to put a box on all of them. (Add border to css for blockquote.) And how to get rid of that line before the sigs that
irritates me so much. (border-top: none for signature.)

Without having a copy of this board's theme it's hard for me do too much more though. (And I think this one is at least a good starting point... it
just needs some tweaking.)

-Morgan, is a weirdo who *likes* white... It was really the table spacing that was screwing me up before. @.@

Code:
might I suggest adding:

#mgr-navigation-holder-bottom {
       display: none;
}

in codde tags so i don't have to manually word wrap.... that's going to be the next fix.

I also like the black text on white background. But I don't like the layout much either, but that can be modified a great deal by css.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

... Ah, what exactly is that supposed to do? ^_^;;;

I tried using the "edit css" function in the web developer toolbar to put that in, and I didn't see any change.

-Morgan, also doesn't have the ability to change settings here at the moment.

at the bottom below the quick reply box there is some stuff about your profile and yuku. It also means that if I go to the bottom of the page I need to scroll
up again before I can see any posts. One could also hide the quick reply box like that and I wouldn't miss it.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

Hmmm. It already hides that for me. '.' What browser are you using?

I'll look into hiding the quick reply box too. I don't know how many people use or care about it, but having an extra skin to remove it shouldn't
be a major hassle if this works the way I think it does...

-Morgan, still really wishes yuku was using a template language. >.>

Quote:And Bob, what do you think about borrowing the color scheme from the SJGames forum? As in "Do you believe it's okay to do?" Since this is your forum. Personally, it's not one I'd want to use, but with that skin selector thing that wouldn't be an issue.
I like the colors there, and as long as we don't steal any of their trade dress or any look-and-feel things unique to them, I think we're okay.
-- Bob
---------

Okay then.

So, have you decided whether or not you're going to adminize me or not? '.'

Edit: On a different note, I've got code working that gets rid of the quick reply box. But getting it back at that point is kind of a pain. Does anyone
care?

Having been looking at more stuff, I've also noticed the lack of a seperator between the post subject and post. Under ezboard that was a hr. Doing it with
css border seems to produce inconsistent results... I'll have to do some more experimenting.

-Morgan.

it's of class="box extra-content reply-box" so you could just set them to display none. I do believe however that IE handles it in a funky
manner. Ah well it's not important.

And I'm using iceweasel with java script turned off. onsidering how much javascript there is per page I'm not surprised that it behaves differentl;y
from the normal browsing experience.

Yeah, that's what I found that does it (once I figured out to only use one of those ^_^;;; ). It's just then no one who wants it can get it back.

No javascript makes things a bit tricky, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Edit: Well, if you're seeing the same excess stuff that I see when I turn off javascript in firefox... yeah. That's what drove me to offering to help
reskin things. ^_^;;;

Since the style switcher uses javascript, to have something that looks nicer without it and still have things available for people who use javascript will
require setting the non-javascript one as default. But since the style settings seem to persist, that shouldn't be a major issue.

Barring anything surprising coming up, I'll probably start working on the various-shades-of-yellow scheme tomorrow. It's fine just as long as I
don't have to use it. '.'

-Morgan.

You can include multiple stylesheets in one page, and specify one as default but I'm not sure if EZ-Borad will let you do that. Browsers are supposed to
allow people to switch the stle from all those available. No javascript needed. But most people never notice that a page has multiple styles.

(for firefox go to View->Page Style->'Style Name' where style name is the style you want to have)

Quote: Morganni wrote:

So, have you decided whether or not you're going to adminize me or not? '.'

Yup. You now have Admin powers -- limited to board design. A neat little feature I found when I went in to promote you.

Quote: Edit: On a different note, I've got code working that gets rid of the quick reply box. But getting it back at that point is kind of a pain. Does anyone
care?

Actually, I do. That quick reply box is all I've got to post with on my home system at the moment.

ETA: Actually, what I think a lot of people would like to see gone is that horizontal rule over the signatures.
-- Bob
---------

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Morganni wrote:

Quote:

Edit: On a different note, I've got code working that gets rid of the quick reply box. But getting it back at that point is kind of a pain. Does anyone
care?

Actually, I do. That quick reply box is all I've got to post with on my home system at the moment.

Bob, I recall we had the same problem with posting, for much the same reason. The suggestion you forwarded to me about changing the default editor to the
bbcode editor worked for me; have you tried it yet?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

No, I haven't. Maybe tonight.
-- Bob
---------

No, not tonight. It uses the navigation menu, which won't freakin' open in Mozilla. Grrrr.

Quoting the advice here so I can find it tomorrow at work:

Quote:However, it might be possible that it works with the new bbcode editor. You can switch editors by going to Navigation / Settings / Preferences / Editor Type and hitting Submit.
-- Bob
---------

Actually, if you can open the "Account" link next to your username in the top bar where the Navigation dropdown menu is, you can get pretty much to
the same page. The path is Account / Settings / Preferences / Editor Type.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Well, boy howdy, it works!

Thank you! I'm so busy trying to figure out the boards themselves, I hadn't explored all those options yet.
-- Bob
---------

And since I forgot to make it obvious, Morgan, that means you can finally dispense with the "quick reply" option.
-- Bob
---------