Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[/table]

It sounds like the border issue really is more a browser thing than yuku. The css optimizer... well, it serves a purpose in the place I know it shows up in
board customization. (It's also one of the reasons I don't use the wysiwyg editor... though not the only one.)

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't use inline frames.

-Morgan.

CSS is a pain to debug especially since no browser implements all of level 2 correctly and the bugs are different based on which browser you use.

One trick is to put in several borders in various attention grabbing colors (red, green, magenta, etc) to see which classes extend where. It can sometimes
point out why something isn't working if another element overrides it or if an unexpected element also falls into the class.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Quote: CattyNebulart wrote:

CSS is a pain to debug especially since no browser implements all of level 2 correctly and the bugs are different based on which browser you use.

One trick is to put in several borders in various attention grabbing colors (red, green, magenta, etc) to see which classes extend where. It can sometimes
point out why something isn't working if another element overrides it or if an unexpected element also falls into the class.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might just try that when I go back to debugging things.

One thing I have noticed - according to several sources, you should be able to use a border attribute in the td tags as well as the table tags, yet when I put
them in the td tag they disappear. I wonder if there's a "code censor" running somewhere?

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Jeanne, I just took a few minutes and came up with this. It's CSS1 with no tables, and looks pretty close to what you've got...

[Image: oldowl.jpg]Jeanne Hedge

www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem." -- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Edit: At least, it looks close to what you've got when viewed in Mozilla. I haven't tried it in other browsers.

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

That's a bit strange. I was testing by putting the code into a reply box and hitting preview, and it allowed the border attributes in the td tag just fine.

Might be something to complain to yuku support about. I know I can't think of a good reason for it to do that...

-Morgan.

Quote: Morganni wrote:

That's a bit strange. I was testing by putting the code into a reply box and hitting preview, and it allowed the border attributes in the td tag just
fine.

Might be something to complain to yuku support about. I know I can't think of a good reason for it to do that...

-Morgan.

They disappeared on me at various times - sometimes after I clicked the Submit button (the one at the bottom of the page where you change your sig),
other times after I clicked the Save button (the one at the bottom of the page where all of your sig files are listed). Whenever I'd go back and look, the
border code would be gone from the TD.

But I think Rob's come up with a winning non-table code layout [Image: smile.gif]

www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Jeanne, I just took a few minutes and came up with this. It's CSS1 with no tables, and looks pretty close to what you've got...

-- code snipped --

Edit: At least, it looks close to what you've got when viewed in Mozilla. I haven't tried it in other browsers.

It's VERY close. In fact, I tweaked it slightly, and am using it now. I think you created a winner, Rob, thank you! : )

Other than not having a transparent background on the gif file (which just *slightly* stands out on some skins [Image: tongue.gif]), it looks ok to me on IE too. I did a
comparison over in the sig test thread in this particular forum (old, then new, in consecutive messages). What do you think?

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

I think it looks good...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Table Displays
Table Displays
Anyone know how to make table borders NOT display? I have a table in my sig file, and the table borders are visible (moreso in some skins than in others).
I'm already using border=0.

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Huh. It's not showing borders in any skin when I try it here.

(Though it's also not showing a border in a place where I've made an effort for one to be. Dammit.)

You could try putting

style="border:none"

into the table tag, which should take precedence over any other css that tries to sneak in from somewhere.

-Morgan. The more I work with CSS, the less I like it...

Huh. It's not showing borders in any skin when I try it here.

(Though it's also not showing a border in a place where I've made an effort for one to be. Dammit.)

You could try putting

style="border:none"

into the table tag, which should take precedence over any other css that tries to sneak in from somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't do it. On some skins I see very faint borders, on other skins the borders are definite. Doesn't matter
where it is - in this board's directory/index/home page table or in my sig file. Maybe it's browser related.

(FYI, the "skins" referred to are the options presented at the bottom of the page - DW Imported, beebee, ezboard Classic, etc)

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Yeah, I know. I'm the one who put those there. '.'

And now I see borders too. But they were definitely not there when I made that reply. (There seems to be a similar disappearing/appearing borders issue on the
main page for me. '.' )

*Spends some time screwing around in IE, where the borders seem to appear all the time, instead of disappearing and reappearing*

Try style="border-style: hidden; border-width: 0px" in your td elements.

-Morgan. Doesn't this seem like the sort of thing CSS is supposed to reduce? *facepalm*

Yeah, I know. I'm the one who put those there. '.'

And now I see borders too. But they were definitely not there when I made that reply. (There seems to be a similar disappearing/appearing borders issue on
the main page for me. '.' )

*Spends some time screwing around in IE, where the borders seem to appear all the time, instead of disappearing and reappearing*

Try style="border-style: hidden; border-width: 0px" in your td elements.

-Morgan. Doesn't this seem like the sort of thing CSS is supposed to reduce? *facepalm*

The new stuff in the TD element was added, I saved, and then my sig file ate itself. There's bits and pieces of it there, but some things are totally
and completely gone.

There was also a bunch of stuff in the table element when I went in that I didn't put there too - was this you?:

style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none"
I'm going to try to
rebuild my sig before I mess with this any more.

Edit to turn my sig back on

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Nope. I can edit your *posts* (though I'm not sure I should really be able to do that), but I can't change the code in your sig.

At least, I'm pretty sure I can't.

Though I could probably make it invisible. Or do a number of other things...

... I'd better shut up before Bob gets worried about having me as an admin. '.' (But it's not my fault the Yuku board customization forum just *tells*
me how to do these things! '.' )

I'm guessing it's one of those CSS optimization things I've read about that yuku has. Not that I'd consider that optimization; it's
equivalent to "border: medium none", except it takes five or six times much space...

No, I just copied that section from view source, put it in a reply window, fiddled around with it some and hit preview to see what happened.

And then did it again. And cursed. And went to look things up at w3schools. And fiddled some more. And cursed. And looked up more things. And fiddled. And
repeated the whole sequence a few more times. With extra cursing. And finally got something that sort of worked. (Why doesn't "invisible"
actually make the border invisible??? It made it more visible!!)

And if you need a copy of the version you started with, I have one that I saved to test something... (Edit: I guess you don't need that. '.' )

-Morgan, godforsaken CSS...

Nope. I can edit your *posts* (though I'm not sure I should really be able to do that), but I can't change the code in your sig.

At least, I'm pretty sure I can't.

Though I could probably make it invisible. Or do a number of other things...

... I'd better shut up before Bob gets worried about having me as an admin. '.' (But it's not my fault the Yuku board customization forum just
*tells* me how to do these things! '.' )
hee

Quote: I'm guessing it's one of those CSS optimization things I've read about that yuku has. Not that I'd consider that optimization; it's
equivalent to "border: medium none", except it takes five or six times much space...

No, I just copied that section from view source, put it in a reply window, fiddled around with it some and hit preview to see what happened.

And then did it again. And cursed. And went to look things up at w3schools. And fiddled some more. And cursed. And looked up more things. And fiddled. And
repeated the whole sequence a few more times. With extra cursing. And finally got something that sort of worked. (Why doesn't "invisible"
actually make the border invisible??? It made it more visible!!)
I'm starting to wonder if there aren't a bunch of chimpanzees in the back room, changing things for their own entertainment.

Oh wait, that would make them BOFH.

Quote: And if you need a copy of the version you started with, I have one that I saved to test something... (Edit: I guess you don't need that. '.' )

Actually, I would like a copy. Some of the current alignment settings are a bit off, and I want to tweak a bit (can't remember what they were).

ETA - this couldn't be some sort of inline frame thing, could it?

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

[table]

[Image: oldowl.jpg] Jeanne Hedge

www.jhedge.com
"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't
be a problem." -- Gabrielle of Potadeia