Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me, or has Yuku been more broken than usual recently?
Is it just me, or has Yuku been more broken than usual recently?
Twice now in as many days, Yuku's nameservers have turned blue and died on me. There's a certain amount of broken I'm willing to accept from any
popular website, but to lose the goddamn *nameservers*...
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Yuku disappeared on me completely last night around 9-10 PM eastern. Just vanished -- nothing loaded.

The number of times I get the "sorry, I can't cope with the stress of loading this particular page" error, though, seems to have gone down
recently.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Definitely more broken than usual, from my perspective. The things I've noticed:

(Preface: unless otherwise noted, all of these appear on both of my daily-use systems; my work machine, a dual-core Intel laptop running XP Pro and Firefox,
and my home PC, a P4 laptop running XP Pro and Firefox. The work machine uses two different internet connections: my home DSL via Qwest, and my corporate
internet gateway, which I think is AT&T.)

* Page loads: Yuku randomly just... stops responding. This might be Google, as it's apparently trying to load something from or otherwise contact
'googleanalytics.com' and stalling. If I stop the load and refresh, it generally works just fine. That time. Frequency: about 1 in 5 (just tested it
and had it happen on the third click, in fact Smile.

* Search: completely broken, won't return -anything-, even by basic username search. This was not the case previously (I started a thread when I noticed
it), though I'll admit search never worked -well-.

* Random logouts: even though I'm set to remember my login, I allow cookies, and I have -not- cleared cache or anything else, Yuku just forgets who I am
and logs me out. This is more annoying than problematic, except when it does it between hitting Reply and hitting Post, at which point it forgets everything I
typed, or double-posts me. Frequency: at least 3 times per week, probably more (I've gotten so used to it I haven't been paying much attention, I just
got in the habit of checking every time I visit).

* Vanishing domain: Yuku blinks out regularly, dropping off the face of the net. They have a static IP and last time it happened I tried getting there via
that route (which worked); that does no good at all for visiting this board, however, as they depend on hostname mapping on Yuku's end. Frequency: at
least once a week that I've noticed, typically in the afternoons when I'm bored at work and looking for something to read Smile.

* Vanishing posts: I've noticed comments from others about this, and had it happen to me once in the past month. Never had an issue before the huge
problem they had a while back where the server died or something like that and they had to restore it (about the same time as my noting the search was borked).
The missing post was last week. Frequency: uncommon.

* New posts notice: the little icon at the main board level tells me I have unread posts in a subforum; I go there, and find nothing I haven't read before.
I return to the main board and click on it to jump directly to the post and am taken to the latest post in that thread... which I've already read.
Frequency: daily (I don't even use the icon anymore, I just look at the forum and trust my memory).

There's something else tickling my memory but I can't think of it. The thing to note is that all of these problems, for me, have appeared or escalated
recently; they're not long-standing issues I've had to deal with before.

Hope this helps in some fashion. Big Grin

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Quote:* New posts notice: the little icon at the main board level tells me I have unread posts in a subforum; I go there, and find nothing I haven't read before. I return to the main board and click on it to jump directly to the post and am taken to the latest post in that thread... which I've already read. Frequency: daily (I don't even use the icon anymore, I just look at the forum and trust my memory).
The "new posts" icon appears if somebody has edited a post in the thread. Is that causing this issue?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: robkelk wrote:

The "new posts" icon appears if somebody has edited a post in the thread. Is that causing this issue?
If it is, it's not jumping to the edited post, and/or the edited post isn't displaying a 'last edited' tag.

(On a semi-related note, the new post icon also shows up if you are the one who created the new post. Which is just dumb, but understandable. This other
behavior is weird. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

It never jumps to the newly edited post. You have to go looking for it manually.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The Editing will cause a new post icon, but clicking on it will try to take you to the first unread post, not the edited one. Also if you go right from just
posting a message to the board index, you'll also get such a notice. If you go back to the forum wherein you posted, before returning to the index, you
will get no such new post. Silly, but that's the way the code works.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I've noticed that the New Post icon will appear if you edit/post a new message and then jump from the thread straight into the main directory (or even
navigating away from the site or closing the browser outright) without hitting the forum you posted to first.

It makes a stupid kind of sense when you think about it - you just created a new post and didn't bother checking the forum!

Well... okay, yes. A VERY stupid kind of sense.

What bugs me about it, honestly, is that I am a database developer by trade. I simply can't imagine what the hell they're thinking. The structure for
a forum is -simple-, and the ways of interacting with it very well defined. It's been happening since the first BBS systems. Have we learned -nothing-?

I suspect it's a case of eager developers + shiny new tech - technically competent oversight = Yuku.

(Which is not to say it's not working, obviously, it's just that it could be done so much better that it makes me weep.)

--sofaspud

Sofaspud, always remember: the Dilbert Principal applies.