Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strangeness - display stops updating, just on these forums?
Strangeness - display stops updating, just on these forums?
I've been having a strange issue lately (last week or two?), which only seems to manifest on these forums.

Every now and then, when a new page loads, part of the screen will continue to display whatever was present on that portion of the previously displayed page.

Also, every now and then, when a new page loads, the *entire* screen will continue to display the previous page, and clicking anywhere on the page does nothing. I can switch tabs, and other sites work fine; however, if I switch back to the tab with the problem, it will then display what had been showing on the other tab. Similarly, I can switch desktops and use other programs, and when I switch back, the page displays whatever was on the other desktop.

The only thing that seems to "clear" this is to use the browser Back button to return to the previous page, then click the link to go forward again. (This is something of an issue when attempting to make a new post; fortunately I'm already in the habit of copying unsubmitted post text before submitting it, because of other problems in the past.)

As I said, this doesn't seem to happen anywhere other than on these forums, or I'd suspect a software problem on my end before anything else. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?

That really sounds like a browser issue more than a forum one.  I've seen similar behavior in other apps when the app in question stopped responding correctly to the Windows messaging queue, for example.  What browser and OS are you using?
It's also possible that this is the only forum you visit using this particular flavor of AJAX, which -shouldn't- make a difference, really, but who knows.  Again, the browser would be the place to start.
(Caveat: I -recall- that Yuku uses AJAX, but my memory may be faulty.)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I haven't seen anything like that at all. Sofaspud probably has the right of it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I'm running Firefox (or, more precisely, Iceweasel) 3.5.6, under Linux. I thought perhaps I might be running an older version, and have installed a new one since last restarting the browser, which might have had an effect - but no, when I check the installed version matches the running one.

And yeah, it does sound like a browser issue more than anything else - but as I said, it seems to *only* be happening here, and more specfically to be happening mainly on pages with posts from Bob in them (though not universally even then).

It's actually happening on this very page as I type, but only in Bob's post, and only in the part starting about where the .sig would be...

... okay, that's just bizarre, but at least that narrows it down a bit.  You're logged in, right?  Yuku does some funky things with pagination when you're not actually logged in to the site (not to mention ads and whatnot that might well be blocked by Iceweasel).
I'm running Firefox 3.6 myself, on Windows (XP Home, ugh), and I'm not seeing anything of that sort.  But I have in the past seen screen tearing, where part of the display updates and the rest 'catches up' to it, specifically here on Yuku when the Firefox ad-blocker was having issues.  Also, Google Chrome had some serious issues displaying -anything- on Yuku for a while, but that's mostly fixed now.
But both of those only happened when I wasn't logged in and Yuku was trying to insert ads into the posts.  Honestly, that doesn't sound like what you're running into, but eliminate the stupid stuff first. Smile

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Yes, I'm logged in, or I was at the time. (I keep finding myself unexpectedly "not logged in" and having to log back in, but not more than once every few weeks, and it hasn't happened lately.)

I do run Ad-Block Plus and NoScript, but I've never had issues with them here before, and if anything I'd expect them to *prevent* this type of issue. I'll check for Ad-Block Plus updates and known issues, just in case.

If I get a chance, I'll try to come by from another computer (more or less the same browser and OS, though), just to try to narrow it down. No guarantee of anything, though, because the problem is somewhat inconsistent; even if it works fine there, that doesn't mean it's computer-specific...

I'm running NoScript, and I don't see anything like what you describe, so I don't think it's related to the problem. I don't use Ad-Block, though.

And you know, I pay good money so you guys won't see ads. Are you telling me they're still appearing on the forum pages?
-- Bob
---------

I wouldn't know - I use AdBlock for other sites, and I haven't bothered to test disabling it just for here.

(For reference: it happened on both of my previous replies in this thread, but it isn't happening now...)

I just had an idea; I'm going to save the HTML from this page, and then when the problem happens save the HTML from that, and see if there's any relevant difference. At the least it should help narrow things down, and possibly rule the site out as the cause.

So, I had a lengthy post explaining myself, but in the process of testing the logout=ads theory, Yuku decided that it needed me to log in before it'd let me post, and promptly ate the post.
So, short version:
Looks like things have been fixed, it's no longer showing ads even when logged out, at least in Firefox.  Will test later with IE and Chrome.  I distinctly recall having seen ads when logged out, before, and I believe several of us posted about it.  So hopefully I'm not just crazy.
Also, this shoots down the ads-causing-the-problem theory, looks like. Big Grin

--sofaspud

Quick update: IE8 and Chrome both behave as expected, that is to say, no ads, regardless of login status.  Looks like you got that one whupped a while back and I just never realized, Bob.  Sorry for the false alarm. Big Grin

--sofaspud

No prob, Spud.
-- Bob
---------

I have seen similar behavior with firefox on several sites, it's a bad plugin (flash is a major offender here) or bad javascript, altough the later problem should be fixed.

But with no-script and adblock that shouldn't be a problem, I have seen similar problems when I updated firefox but didn't restart the browser, and when running firefox from a faulty hard-drive that was dropping out ever so often.

check your system log (use the 'dmesg' command in a terminal) to see if your drive is doing bad things (it will have a lot of text from startup but it shouldn't be adding much after that.), but overall i find the symptoms you describe very puzzling. I recall firefox at about version 0.5 (back when it was called phoenix) having such problems with some webpages but I do believe those bugs are well and truly squashed.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Checking dmesg is completely useless, unfortunately, because of another issue; every now and then (as much as a few hours or as little as a few seconds), my mouse effectively disconnects and reconnects, producing "USB device detected" lines in the log every time. This tends to flood the other usable information out.

For what it's worth, I don't think I've seen this since having had to restart Firefox after something weird resembling a crash a couple of days ago; I hadn't updated Firefox, but possibly some of the other software involved had gotten updated, and/or some of my add-ons had gotten stuck in a weird state. I'll see if it happens again...