Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, there go our images.
Well, there go our images.
Looks like all the little image files on the forum skin that were still pointed at ezboard.com are giving 404s now.

I *should* still have those images saved somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly what it'll take to get them working again. Which is why I was happy when they still *worked* from ezboard. Feh.

-Morgan.

What's missing?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

From what I can see the little 'unread message in thread' and 'sticky/pinned thread' icons.
--
If we can confirm its existence, then it interacts with the physical world. If
it interacts with the physical world, we can, theoretically, blow it up.
  --  robertliguori

The "add topic" and "add reply" buttons are the same way, though they're so ubiquitous I've still got them cached. (I'm a bit surprised the unread messages one disappeared, actually.)

The pinned topic picture is on a yuku domain, as is (oddly) one of the hot topic icons that says "EZ" on it. It's the one for closed topics that's missing. Could be others, but nothing else is really standing out. (It's mostly the "unread messages" one that breaks the layout anyway.)

If you've still got those images showing in your web browser, could you try saving it? At least for the ones I'm still showing, when I right click on it and do "save image as", it's saving it even though the image isn't actually on the server that the url ends up at anymore. Might be a better idea than relying on my backups, since I'm not sure where I left them. (Doesn't seem to be on the hd in this machine, anyway.)

Although I'm not sure there's any good way to host the images on yuku, which is part of why I didn't do it the last time this issue came up.

-Morgan.

Morganni Wrote:If you've still got those images showing in your web browser, could you try saving it? At least for the ones I'm still showing, when I right click on it and do "save image as", it's saving it even though the image isn't actually on the server that the url ends up at anymore. Might be a better idea than relying on my backups, since I'm not sure where I left them. (Doesn't seem to be on the hd in this machine, anyway.)
http://web.ncf.ca/fm536/ezimages/]Here's what I've got showing (which I believe is all of them). Please copy them to somewhere else before using them...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thanks, Rob. Since I posted my reply stuff has gone missing -- I guess it leaked out of my cache.

I'm seeing the Hot Topic image now, although I wasn't half an hour ago. And I never lost the "sticky" thumbtack graphic.
-- Bob
---------

Ah, I got the icon wrong.  It isn't the thumbtack I lost, but the locked thread icon.  Sorry about that.
--
Optimism is just lack of information.
-- Alex Schreiber

That looks like everything (or everything important anyway), and will make things much easier. Thank you.

I uploaded the "new messages" one to my profile image area (since that's the only way I can find to upload images to yuku to use) and put it in as the icon to use on the list of forums. (But not, note, the list of topics within forums.) If other people report this appearing properly for them, I'll get the rest transferred over.

-Morgan, doesn't really expect an issue, but given how squirrelly some other aspects of this have been...

It does appear properly on the top level for me, Morgan.

I was wondering, though -- where do the default skins look to get the images? Or have they changed and we're just keeping the old ones because we like them that way?
-- Bob
---------

That is a somewhat confusing issue in it's own right.

This in the 'Style Sampler' forum is supposedly "community defaults"... and has a mix of images from yuku and eboard. Our skin got the image urls it has as part of the import process. There's obviously other sets of images around, but there doesn't seem to be a clean way of switching from one set of images to another. That, and I presumed we do like them that way. I do, and no one has complained, so... why mess with what's working?

-Morgan. For certain values of working, but yeah.

Everything seems to be fine, now. Thank you, Morgan. That took far less time than it would have taken me to begin understanding the problem.
-- Bob
---------

I... haven't actually done the rest yet? '.' Maybe your browser decided they were in the cache after all, or something.

Still, since it does seem like what I actually changed worked, I should be able to finish up the rest tonight. After all, there's not actually very *many* of them.

-Morgan.

... And now all the old image urls are working again. *forehead slap*

I don't know whether I should put the ones I'd change back now, or change the rest so that, when this inevitably happens again, we won't have any issues.

-Morgan.