Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relative Times for Posts
Relative Times for Posts
Just today, I've noticed that most recent posts "post time" have been listed as a relative time (i.e. "X minutes/hours/days ago" ) rather than absolute. Is this a new thing or did I mess some setting somewhere?
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

No, it's a new thing, even to me. I don't remember seeing it at lunch, so... maybe that means the UTC time bug has been fixed.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's a feature I like.

I wholly support it's continued utilsation

Actually, I just realized -- it is the bugfix for the UTC bug. I'm guessing that once new posts get beyond 24 hours old, it will only show the day, not the time; and until then, it hides the UTC quite well.
-- Bob
---------

That isn't a fix, it's a mask.

(I'm still in "show off skills to get that promotion" mode...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

For some, masking is as good as fixing, sadly, if it cuts the number of emails dropping onto the support desk.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

You might notice there's an announcement at the top of the forum about the relative time thing.

Personally, I like it. But I'm not sure why this has to be a per-forum setting, and not a per-user one...

-Morgan.

The way they've implemented it, the relative time display takes more resources than the absolute time display. (I can see the absolute times for a half-second when the page loads, then they're over-written.) And the relative time display isn't particularly precise. So there's two reasons to go back to the old system... which I like better, BTW.
--
Rob Kelk

Even though I suspect I know what the results will be, I'm going to put up a poll just to be sure.
-- Bob
---------

Even though I expect to be disappointed, I'll go vote... (Edit, after voting) Well, I didn't expect that! But there are still "about four days" to go in the poll, so things could change.
--
Rob Kelk

You know, I'd like the relative time display if it was more like the Spacebattles version (where it's relative for an hour), or maybe a day. From what I've seen so far, it's active for a week. That's too long in my opinion.

Well, ideally, I'm really hoping that Yuku is only providing the "relative date" option for those who want their boards to have it, and is actually actively working to fix the underlying problem that it helps to mask.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Does anyone else think the absolute times (which appear once a post reaches a certain age) are formatted somewhat oddly? There's something about the spacing that just bugs me slightly.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Jorlem Wrote:Does anyone else think the absolute times (which appear once a post reaches a certain age) are formatted somewhat oddly? There's something about the spacing that just bugs me slightly.
They have two-digit year fields. We've been taught by the Y2K project that that's A Bad Thing...
--
Rob Kelk