Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
500 luftballoons
Re: 500 luftballoons
Update:  turns out it's going to take a couple days to get MySQL access -- while my ISP has it, they actually have to create a database for me before I can actually point MyBB at it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
this clip seems appropriate...

Is there some way for you to put up an announcement when you're ready to make the move? I'm still cranky about the way Tapatalk didn't announce the board switchover to the forum members.
Inquisitive Raven Wrote:Is there some way for you to put up an announcement when you're ready to make the move? I'm still cranky about the way Tapatalk didn't announce the board switchover to the forum members.

Well it's not like we're customers, we're the product.
And please do let us know when we can finish packing and check out of this round iconned gong show Bob.
I can come up with a way to hack an announcement in the the sitewide CSS.  Trust me.

I'd also just like to note to people still doing archive runs: it is still possible to find all the threads on this board by going to drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/<integer>   It's like they didn't want to lose any SEO.  I don't think the old way of linking to particular pages works, but I thought it might be useful.

Edit: Or you can find them just by changing the number in the URL to drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/<literally anything>-t<integer>.html  The text is ignored, probably by a RewriteRule on their server.  If you want fill in <literally anything>, just press the any key on your computer.
-- ∇×V
We don't really need CSS to put up a "the forums have moved" message.

It's even possible to lock everything for posting, though I don't know if Bob will want to do that. (If so, it'd probably be a good idea to leave a forum open for transition-related discussion. Which should be named "The 'Come Visit the New Forum' Forum".)

-Morgan.
Pretty much what I had in mind - once everything is ready to go we either lock down or clear out everything else, and just leave the one thread or forum open to talk about the move.

(Though if we go the route of clearing everything out, then I suggest we either wait until the new board is up and running, or at the very least make damn sure our last scrape of the board was good.)
I can't see any particular reason to clear everything out, and several possible reasons not to.

(Including, but not limited to, it being very hard to be sure that you *really* scraped everything.)

Furthermore, if that course of action is chosen, I will be required to end every post I make for the forseeable future by screaming loudly.

-Morgan.
I'd suggest keeping this as an off-site archive of what we had up to the move... for as long as the host service wants to keep an inactive forum.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Sounds like a plan to me.
I'll admit that the thought of blanking the boards -- as cheap revenge for "monetization" -- had appealed to me, but hell, Yuku was doing the same thing.  All that's changed is the system by which we get rid of the ads.  So no, we won't do that.  And having the site as a backup/archive is a good idea.  As far as how long they live for after that, well, it's no further expense to them to just keep the boards going, and after the Yuku credit runs out every time someone wanders in they'll get adviews; I suspect even fossil forums are moneymakers for them.

Locking the boards behind us after we leave seems like a good idea to keep people from being confused.  After we add a "Go here!" notice in each one so anyone getting directed here by nearly twenty years of end-of-chapter links knows where to move to.
-- Bob
---------
Okay, my ISP has generated the MySQL database and sent me the connection info I needed.  I don't know if I'll get to it before this evening, but I'll finish the MyBB installation before I crash tonight, promise.

The next question is aimed at Anhkani and Brent -- should I go ahead and recreate the forum structure?  Would that make the import harder or easier?
-- Bob
---------
Finished the installation.  Now I'm going through hundreds of settings on the Admin control panel to set things the way I like them and that we're used to... and a few more.  Like smilies -- should I disable them completely, given that the wrong combination of characters can get converted into one if they happen to look like an old text emoticon?

Oh, also, Brent and Ankhani -- you way want to check out the MyBB Merge System.  While it doesn't look like it can be used with the simple scrapes we have, perhaps you can extract the necessary db info from it?  In the mean time, I'm downloading and installing the MySQL Workbench, and I'll be able to get all the db info through that unless something goes dramatically wrong.  (And I'll see if I can set up working access to the website's database for either or both of you, to make things a bit easier.)
-- Bob
---------
Oh, and does anyone see any value in allowing attachments on messages in the new boards?
-- Bob
---------
So, after after about two weeks of the bot running nonstop, things began to choke. I'm not sure if it was the site being slow to serve pages, the new layout messing with things, or simply the code not scaling well with the size and design.

It got a little bit further, but I've come to the conclusion that while this solution may, technically, work, it will not be able to deliver on any reasonable timescale. Especially considering the further conditioning you'll need to extract the data and dump it back into a database. I'll toss along what I've managed to grab, but we'd probably be better served looking at other options.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and does anyone see any value in allowing attachments on messages in the new boards?

We are rather fond of our image and video threads.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and does anyone see any value in allowing attachments on messages in the new boards?

Oh, I've already taken care of the settings for that -- in fact, I upped the maximum number of images and videos allowed in a post to reflect our usual practices. 

I'm talking about actually attaching files to a post for download, like, say, a spreadsheet or a zip file.
-- Bob
---------
Well, it'd be nice if people like me can provide text in a universal format (like ODT or PDF) so rather than looking at my story posts in the confines of the forums, they can download and read them in a manner more comfortable for them.  (I seem to keep running into this issue that no matter what I do with font settings, it upsets things for someone else.)

EDIT: Not that I'd cut out the story posts altogether - that way it's easier for folks to quote a relevant bit at me.
wrote: Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:

Oh, I've already taken care of the settings for that -- in fact, I upped the maximum number of images and videos allowed in a post to reflect our usual practices. 

I'm talking about actually attaching files to a post for download, like, say, a spreadsheet or a zip file.

Be wary of security concerns with some of that. I'd recommend putting the ability to post spreadsheets and zips into a restricted territory: vetted and/or well aged accounts. And definitely restrict the download of such to registered users, possibly with the same restrictions.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Well, right now I have that functionality completely turned off.  I just wanted to know if anyone saw any value in turning it back on again right out of the gate.  I'm personally inclined toward keeping it shut off until someone asks for it.

As for limiting things to registered users, I've been setting as many things as I can that way.  Hopefully I haven't made the boards completely invisible to the unregistered.  <grin>
-- Bob
---------
In the Tapatalk sucks department (wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new thread over), has anyone else been getting sent to the last post in a thread when clicking on "go to first unread" regardless of whether or not it actually is the first unread post?
Inquisitive Raven Wrote:In the Tapatalk sucks department (wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new thread over),

I thought this was the "Tapatalk sucks" thread, as well as the "let's move" thread. The two concepts are strongly related, after all.

Inquisitive Raven Wrote:has anyone else been getting sent to the last post in a thread when clicking on "go to first unread" regardless of whether or not it actually is the first unread post?

Yes, I have.

I also haven't found any setting to turn off the WYSIWYG editor by default, which is somewhat annoying.
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well, right now I have that functionality completely turned off.  I just wanted to know if anyone saw any value in turning it back on again right out of the gate.  I'm personally inclined toward keeping it shut off until someone asks for it.

As for limiting things to registered users, I've been setting as many things as I can that way.  Hopefully I haven't made the boards completely invisible to the unregistered.  <grin>

I don't know whether we want to go this far, but the SJGames forums limits posting attachments to mods only. We might want to do that for executables if the system is sufficiently granular.
--
Rob Kelk

Mm.  I'll have to see if I can do that.  That would be useful, yes.
-- Bob
---------
robkelk Wrote:
Inquisitive Raven Wrote:In the Tapatalk sucks department (wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new thread over),

I thought this was the "Tapatalk sucks" thread, as well as the "let's move" thread. The two concepts are strongly related, after all.
Unless I am misreading things greatly, there are two "Tapatalk sucks" threads, this one and "Sudden Changes" in the General Chatter forum.

However, since I was coming up with what seemed to be a brand new complaint I spent some time debating whether I should post it here or hive it off to a new discussion. Before the software switchover, I would have started a new thread.