Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lakota Withdraw
The Lakota Withdraw
The Lakota tribes have withdrawn from the treaties signed with the United States. Details can be found here. I'm wondering how the government's going to fuck this one up.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: The Lakota Withdraw
Masterfully, of course.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
I suppose it depends on how many people jump onto Means' bandwagon & how the declaration is put into action before we see exactly how our leige will overreact.
Though I will note that, if the Lakota actually go for broke and pull this one off, something like 80% of the American nuclear deterrent in within their claimed territory. *That* could make for some epic comedy.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
China is gonna clottin' love this. So will the Ivans, the Serbs, the Sudanese, etc. The Chinese accuse us of supporting "splittists" in Tibet -- now they may start bringing up the subject of our own "splittists" at every opportunity.-----
Gentlemen, it has long been my conviction that all citizens should provide services for which their talents best suit them in support of those who have been called to duty. In the case of politicians such as yourselves, that would be target practice.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
As far as my policitally interested friends can tell, Means doesn't have the authority to do this for real and it's just a publicity stunt. All I can find are copies of the same story and this one:
www.indianz.com/News/2007/006449.asp
With the telling phrase "four activists".
I think this is hilarious!
You know what I hope the Feds response will be? It's what mine is - to wit, here's my take on the announcement:
*Yawn* What? This will make any difference... how? You guys already don't pay taxes. If you want to really make a nuisance of yourselves, you KNOW what kind of ass-whupping you'll get. I can't believe you're THAT dumb. So you're not going to try for any actual sedition. What's this all for? Oh, that's right, you wanted yourselves in the news during a slow news week. Well, how nice for you. "Mission Accomplished".
Now try entering the mainstream of American life and culture if you want to -really- make something of yourselves.
What's REALLY hilarious is watching people actually taking this seriously. The whole "way to go! stick it to the man!" thing is really really funny. But only because it's just kinda pathetic.
-Logan
-----------------
"I'm laughing at 'the
superior intellect'!"
- James T. Kirk, shortly
before one-upping Khan
Noonian Singh for the
final time.
-----------------
Not quite, Logan -- if they actually separate from the USA, then they take their land with them. They have a treaty saying it's their land, and treaties trump acts of Congress.
They might not pay taxes, but the other people living on their land do. And there's a good case to be made for the position that any military bases on their land belong to them...
-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Not quite, Logan -- if they actually separate from the USA, then they take their land with them. They have a treaty saying it's their land, and treaties trump acts of Congress.
They might not pay taxes, but the other people living on their land do. And there's a good case to be made for the position that any military bases on their land belong to them...
Which falls under the heading of "really making a nuisance of themselves". See above in re: ass-whupping.
Not saying whether it's right or wrong, just being realistic here. This will NOT change a damn thing. They are not going to actually, seriously, withdraw. There's not enough people who would take them seriously to fill up a small auditorium, much less a county or state.
As to actual legality. Again - doesn't matter whether they have a legal precedent or not. The Fed will probably just ignore them outright. As President Jackson once said of a Supreme Court ruling regarding another famous case involving Indians "John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it!" (And yeah, I know all about where this quote goes in history, and how reprehensible it was. Trail of Tears indeed.)
Again - Not saying what's right or wrong here. Just saying what's most likely.
So - secession of any kind based on this idea? Not going to happen.
I'd be willing to bet you some actual serious cash that by this time next year, most people will have already forgotten about this little publicity stunt and that it will have gone nowhere of any significance. (Want to put a 20 down on it? I'm game.)
That's what makes me amused about this whole thing - the notion of anybody that this whole thing actually is or should be taken seriously. Anybody who does isn't really thinking clearly.
-Logan
-----------------
"I'm laughing at 'the
superior intellect'!"
- James T. Kirk, shortly
before one-upping Khan
Noonian Singh for the
final time.
-----------------
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet you some actual serious cash that by this time next year, most people will have already forgotten about this little publicity stunt and that it will have gone nowhere of any significance. (Want to put a 20 down on it? I'm game.)
No, thanks - that's a sucker bet...
-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
So - secession of any kind based on this idea? Not going to happen.
Agreed. But I still say the Chicoms are going to give us a rash of shit about this, relative to their situation with Tibet. Hell, they already talk at us about how we stopped the Johnny Rebs leaving in the 1860's, saying that's a precedent that justifies Beijing choosing the next Dalai Lama! And everybody else, too -- if we say anything about how they're starving or massacring their minorities, they'll bring this up.-----
Gentlemen, it has long been my conviction that all citizens should provide services for which their talents best suit them in support of those who have been called to duty. In the case of politicians such as yourselves, that would be target practice.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
The Lakota Withdraw - Well, not really, after all.
Yeah, I knew something was fishy about this whole story when I first read it. I found it hard to believe that this was the voice of anyone but a few loudmouthed activists with no real authority to speak for the Lakota as a whole.
Turns out I was right.
The original story was just standard piss-poor research and reporting. It's what I've come to expect from the Lamestream Media, both here in America and the world in general. Figures.
-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------