Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seizure of computers
Seizure of computers
According to articles here and here, proposed new copyright legislation could allow the Justice Department to seize and auction off any computer or hardware "facilitating" a copyright violation without the owner needing to be convicted of any crime. From the first article:
Quote:
* Any computer or network hardware used to "facilitate" a copyright crime could be seized by the Justice Department and auctioned off. The proceeds would be funneled to the agency's budget. The process is called civil asset forfeiture, and typically the owner does not need to be found guilty of a crime for his property to be taken.
I find this, particularly on the tail of the $220,000 verdict in favor of the RIAA, quite worrying.
--The Twisted One"If you wish to converse with me, define your terms."
--Voltaire
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
Re: Seizure of computers
Oh dear. Do you suppose they will confiscate ISP's?
for more detail on civil asset forfeiture look here www.isil.org/resources/li...erica.html (linked from one of the articles)
that's scarry scarry stuff. Glad I don't live in the US anymore and I'm debating if I want to cancel my trip back to the USA over the summer or not.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."