Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadians Lose Right To Remain Silent
Canadians Lose Right To Remain Silent
Or might as well have. Technically we can refuse to speak to police officers, they can also refuse to take no for an answer.
I urge everyone to write their local member of parliament about this.
------------------
Epsilon
Re: Canadians Lose Right To Remain Silent
I'm not sure I'm parsing this quite right.
It sounds like no one has to say anything to the police, but that doesn't require the police to also stop talking?
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
In America, if you exercise your 'right to remain silent', the cops aren't allowed to just keep on asking you the same question.
In Canada, now, they are.
Do you have any drugs?
"I am exercising my right to remain silent."
Do you have any drugs?
Do you have any drugs?
Do you have any drugs?
Do you have any drugs?
Ad NauseamWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Wouldn't one, after saying that they're exercising their right to remain silent, stop talking? '.'
-Morgan, and yes, I'm asking that as a serious question."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
---(Not really)
It's certainly doesn't sound bad on paper. I mean, you can just refuse to talk, right?
However you do know why its called an "interrogation" and not an "interview". We're not talking about ad nauseam asking the same question. What it means is that the police are allowed to continue to pressure and pressure and pressure you to answer with anything short of outright coercion.
-----------------
Epsilon
At this point, I'm still trying to put together some context.
I guess a better way to phrase what I was asking, would someone have to say every time that they were exercising their right to remain silent?
At least the quote in that article seems to translate to the police not being required to shut up.
Suppose after invoking their right to remain silent once, simply *stopped talking*. Under this rule, the police could certainly keep talking to them. Perhaps they could even yell at them. But could they, say, have additional charges filed against them? Is there a legal requirement that they keep repeating that they don't want to talk every time they're asked a question?
Again, I'm not trying to suggest this isn't an issue. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the situation. At this point, there's details that I don't feel clear enough on to express an opinion either way.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
---(Not really)
This fictional exchange might help provide some context:
"Do you have any drugs?"
"I want to see my lawyer."
"He's on his way. Do you have any drugs?"
"I'm not talking without my lawyer."
"He's on his way. Do you have any drugs?"

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
The right to not remain silent
Wellllll.....
They can ask - you don't have to answer. Though in truth you should. Tell them about the migratory habits of the snowy egrets. You can then go on about all your favorite raccoon facts.
Police Officer: Do you have any drugs?
You: There are three primary bases in classic origami - triangle, square and fish - while some also consider the blintz base in this, there is some dissent.
You: The Far Side Halloween special has not aired recently, but it has a strange, dadist melancholy that transcends the usual blase scares of the season and deeply impregnates your soul with a relentless ovipositor of queer, aesthetic, zen-like koans.
You: Have you heard Brittany Spear's latest album? have you seen her getting out of cars?
You: Evolution is the non-random survival of random mutations. While creationist arse-wipes may tout the 'theory' of Intelligent Design, it is not actually a theory in that it may not be tested, nor does it make any predicitions that can be confirmed.
Police Officer: Okay, you can shut up now.
You: The common porcupine is quite attracted to salt, as many cottagers have found out to their chagrin, when the gnawing teeth have reduced canoes, oars, and even tires to piles of masticated material. Porcupines do not actually fling their Quills, unless you are referring to the Geoffrey Rush movie of the same name - Porcupines hate that movie and will actually kick it with their hind legs, sending it impressive (for porcupines at least) distances of up to three feet (18 inches for the extra special edition)
Shayne
Re: The right to not remain silent
Quote:
Porcupines hate that movie and will actually kick it with their hind legs, sending it impressive (for porcupines at least) distances of up to three feet (18 inches for the extra special edition)
VHS or DVD edition?-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.