Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Bothersome Sig
A Bothersome Sig
This has been annoying me for a few days and I feel the need to complain about it... this seemed like the proper area. Resently Bob's sig has been:
Quote:
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
The reason this annoys me so much is it is uncharicteristally stupid of Bob. This is because it makes/relies on a false analogy... that the Left is only made of 'Radicals' and the Right of 'Reactionaries' or that the only 'Radicals' are on the Left and the only 'Reactionaries' are on the Right or that the Extreme Left is the embodiment of 'Radicals' and the Extreme Right is the embodiment of
'Reactionaries'.
Its like saying that all Lawful people are Good and all Chaotic people are Evil. I use the D&D alignment system as I see the political spectrum in a similar grid. You have the Left moderate Right on the resources side and the Conservative moderate Liberal on the change side. When I say Conservative/Liberal, in this case, I am not speaking of the modern American terms.
What I mean is that the Conservatives are the Reactionaries, their goal is to keep things the same. Maintaining the Statis Quo is their driving force. What the Statis quo actually consists of is irrelivant in this respect. Liberals are the Revolutionaries, they want things to change. In this case it doesn't matter what it is they want to change... just that it changes from what it currently is.
What I mean here by Left and Right here is defined on an axis of resource distribution. In a pure case of being all the way to the Left all resources are distributed equally to all involved parties. This is reguardless of personall needs or participation of gathering resources, a baby and a 600 pound man get the same exact portions of the resources (this means food and clothes and shelter). All the way to the right means that one indivisual has all the resources. No one else gets anything, reguardless of if there is one person or one billion people in the equasion.
If we apply this to the above quote we get some bizzarre situations. Radicals (Left Liberals) would be a scenario that has everyone owning equal portions of everything and the portions being recalculated everytime even the smallest portion of a resource is used up. (Which would be the part about change yesterday... except that would give them a consistant deadline and be against their alignment.)
If we apply it to the second half of the quote we get pure Reactionary (Right Conservative)... which translates as one indivisual with all the resources forever... everyone and everything and must keep its resorces to itself and protect it from that which it doesn't own... Which explains what is wrong with Friend Computer... after all it unilaterally owns everything and everyone and must protect its property from nonexistant/already eliminated indivisuals that own things it doesn't. This is why it actually makes sense that Freind Computer can own everything and be so against Commies. It just eliminated everyone to the Left of it and kept going until only those it owned as property are left remaining. Then it just kept picking thing that it owned as property... like knowledge.
Just to complete the extremes... pure Right Liberal would be mean one indivisual owns everything and everyone... but who that indivisual is is constantly changing, so only way to legally use any resource is to use it in whatever time period it is used for the ownship cycle. As this requires incredibly small time periods (the smallest known to the system) and everyone is effectively criminal and legal at once and this system collapses in time paradox or at least the legalistic equivalent thereof.
Pure Left Conservative would mean that every participant in the system gets an equal share of the resources and that once they are distrubed that's it. Unless new resources are added the system stagnates to death by design. Any attempt to add anyone new to the system makes the system have to change things around and therefore destroys the system.
Anyway, the quote that started this is logically wrong and seems to be so badly thought out that I felt a need to complain about it. Is there something I'm missing? Is this an overly subtile/unnoted remark I'm missing as a quote to be mocked? Did Bob suddenly deside to pick a bizzarrely political hack quote for some reason?
Re: A Bothersome Sig
I don't know. I've had my discussion of it with him elsewhere.
My own version of it:
Quote:
The difference between the Left and the Right in America can be discerned from their attitude towards change. The Left correctly assumes that the present is imperfect and wishes to change it for the better. The Right correctly assumes that the Left has failed to think past "get rid of what's imperfect" and get to the next step, "find something that actually works", and is impatiently waiting for them to get on with it.

--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I have a suggested version.
Quote:
The major driving similarity between the Left and the Right in America is that both are, by and large, composed of idiots. A man should think for himself, and resist being labelled
Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
How about:
Quote:
The major driving similarity between the Left and the Right in America (and elsewhere) is that both are meaningless and illusionary definitions constructed by people who like having their perceived 'enemies' all grouped together so they can more effectively dismiss them without thought.
i was going to say something but Kokuten and
Ayiekie said it far better than I could have.. so let me add...
nuff said[Image: smile.gif]
Glad I'm not the only one that has problems with that Sig. It was starting get into logic loops in my head and if I don't resolve/voice my complaint this kind of thing, it tends to pop into my head and make me debate it with myself years later. I find this rather annoying.
Though your versions are much more palitable to me, I feel I should reitterate one of my sticking points in discusions. This sticking point is what I call the Gloobleflarg. What the Gloobleflarg is, is any term that is a key point in an arguement or discusion or explaination that no one involved ever bothers to set a standard definition for. far to often I've seen people argue the same points with different buzzwords. As this results in a large portion of the pointless screaming matches in exsistance, I like to avoid such things. The pointlessness at least.
One of the things I've thought would be fun is to make all speakers for the sides sit down in separate rooms,... maybe those sillence booths they use during game shows strip them of any microphones, radios, etc.., and give them those little blue answer books from schools. Now give them the key words in the upcoming debate and make them definite each key word on up to one side of a page. Then let them have the debate.
Once the debate is is over have them fill out the blue books again, adding in any left out key terms from any participant (just to see what the other participants figured the definition of the word by the word usage in the debate)... why they are taking the after test take a transcript of the debate and hightlight any and all key words. Now replace the keywords in the transcripts with the definitions given in the candidates blue book... then their personal after debate blue books... then the blue books of the other participants. Now have some people who didn't watch the debate try to translate the answers to each question in random order without knowing who said what.
What this gives up is the ability to see if what the candidates said was actually coherant... 1) by their own definition of the words, 2) When heard by the other candidates, 3) As heard by random people who have the definitions the candidate proclaimed to by using.
Remember the translators don't actually get to know what words were used only get the answers to the definitions and the slots they go in.
Anyone that is not at all coherent by their own defined words is dubbed over by howler monkeys in the basic broadcast. Anyone who is internally consistant is allowed to be broadcast with their words intact. If the participant is a mix of the two randomly they're going to randomly end up speaking in English and howler monkey. This is the version of the debate in their own words, as defined by the participants themselves.
Then a version is made for each participant which has the candidate in their own uncensorsed words, though the question is translated first. Then the candidate is translated into their before and after books translations. With such labled on the screen, unless they are actually consistant, then they get one translation with a single lable of translated. Then each of the other participants is translated by the Roseta Stone of the candidate the version is named after provided in the blue books. The other candidates are dubbed over as heard by the first candidate. Which may mean that a lot of the stuff is in Wookie, with random 'Nu uh' 'Uh huh's thrown in, in the voice of a third grader... or that the original speaker has their head surrounded by question marks floating around the screen or that one of the other people involved has their head morph in into a Ditto pokemon and rambles in Ditto (this is when the candidates mirror each other) and is sped up so they sound like a chipmunk, with a timer on the bottom speeding forward. Possiblely all the other participants are on the split screen at once.
Note that if the candidate ignores the question and babbles about a different topic the one asking the questions is translated to what the candidate heard via their blue book... which means Godzilla bad dubbing kicks in and the mediator lips may stop moving half way through the question... or keep going long after the question is done being asked. The participants may all start off ignoring the mediator and stating so. If only the candidate who it is the version of ignores the question start off with the mediator in adults on Charlie Brown speach.
For added fun try translating the debate responses into the same language as the mediator is asking them in... maybe getting the mediator/question asker to fill out blue books.
Rambling that, however I see far too much of people agrueing , because the participants are using different definitions of the words involved or because they keep changing the basic definitions of their arguements at random intervals. Seething hatred between two sides that are using the same definitions of words is one thing... seething hatred between two or more sides that can't even bother to explain to each other what they are arguing about in the first place is another, far more common and stupid thing.
*looks in*
Would you folks like some tissue paper? Or perhaps some hand lotion?---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Shhh, don't interrupt them! They're agreeing on something!
^_-
Also, I completely lost track of the end of what Necratoid was saying there, but...
Quote:
Anyone that is not at all coherent by their own defined words is dubbed over by howler monkeys in the basic broadcast.
Bwahahahaha! ^o^
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)