Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Absolute utter stupidity or malicious intent?
Absolute utter stupidity or malicious intent?
www.nbc5i.com/news/14069203/detail.html

You've all read about it - young, ugly, blonde, big breasts, harassed by Southwest Airlines for dressing 'provocatively'
It just happened again.
www.nbc5i.com/news/14090043/detail.html#
I can't believe that there wasn't a memo about this, I can't believe someone was dumb enough to pull this shit off this soon after a nearly identical PR nightmare.
I'm thinking that the stew in question acted with malicious intent, to smear SouthWest's name.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Absolute utter stupidity or malicious intent?
The airline is not a government agency. They can refuse service to anybody they wish. So long as they refund the cost of the ticket, I don't see how this is a problem. Businesses are allowed to enforce a dress code (everything from "formal tie and jacket" to "no shirt, no shoes, no service").
It's similar how they would probably object if you went to a Chuck'e'Cheese dressed 'too provactively'. Also, clothes don't tell the whole stories. Posture can have a lot to do with it. An outfit that doesn't look too smexy in a still image will look a lot different if the person wearing it is (consciously or unconsciously) flaunting themselves.
-----------------
Epsilon
Thank you for bringing the 'rights' wank into this early, so it can be stopped.
This isn't about 'civil rights', this is about corporate stupidityWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
This isn't about 'civil rights', this is about corporate stupidity.

Care to elaborate on this position?
I see no problem with what the airline did in either case.
-----------------
Epsilon
Quote:
www.nbc5i.com/news/14090043/detail.html#
I can't believe that there wasn't a memo about this, I can't believe someone was dumb enough to pull this shit off this soon after a nearly identical PR nightmare.
I can't believe someone tried to catch a flight while wearing only a negligee... Assuming the photo that accompanies that story is accurate, that is. (Maybe it wasn't really bed wear, but the photograph certainly gives the impression that it was.)
As you said, the airline's recently been in the news for imposing a dress code on a passenger. Only a fool or a publicity-seeker would go out of the way to wear an outfit like that on the same airline so soon afterward. And if she's a publicity-seeker, then it worked.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
reccomend you watch the video in the second link, then.
The outfit in question would pass at any awards ceremony, club, or high-class restaurant.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Operation timed out... Got any stills from the video?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
... Okay.
I, personally, am aware of no particular law that would say the airline couldn't kick people off for how they were dressed.
But why would they want to?
While I don't really like the way Kokuten put it, this really seems like a senseless thing for them to do. It particularly annoys the two people in question, gets lots of negative publicity, and in general is likely to hurt their business, without any possible gain that I can see.
Or to put it another way, forget rights, why piss off people who want to give you money?
(Not that such behavior is anything new. I know of one case where a company basically sought out their biggest fans, and sued them. o.O )
-Morgan doesn't think the outfit in the first case looks particularly "provocative" either. >.>"Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Quote:
I, personally, am aware of no particular law that would say the airline couldn't kick people off for how they were dressed.
Read the article. Neither woman was kicked off. Both were allowed to continue their flight after they adjusted their outfits to be less immodest. This is why I take their stories with a pound of salt, since we only have their word for it.
And they might wish to keep people from doing that on the plane for the same reason such a dress might not pass the muster at Chuck'e'cheese or any other family resturant. Parents will get annoyed and they will never fly your airline again.
-------------------
Epsilon
You're the one who said the airlines could refuse service to anybody they wish. I'm agreeing with you. So I'm not sure what your point there is. >.>
Neither of those outfits looks like something that would violate public indecency laws, so I really doubt there would have been any consequences from just letting them on the plane without comment that would outweigh what's happening now.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)