Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, that didn't take long.
Well, that didn't take long.
Iowa court rules same-sex couples can marry.
And the Polk County recorder's office was accepting applications for less than a day before the ruling was stayed.
20 same sex couples applied, but apparently only one went through the steps necessary to get the application approved before the stay went into effect. (It's not stated where I've seen whether the applications that were already submitted will continue through the approval process or not.)
It really makes me wonder, don't some of these people have anything *better* to do with their time?
-Morgan.
"When you enter combat, please focus on the enemy!"
-Shurelia
Re: Well, that didn't take long.
what's wrong with you, don't you know that your ability to legally have sex with someone of the same gender is damaging to the moral fabric of america?
//sarcasm off//
These people don't have anything better to do because they are stupid, and have received their moral upbringing from a book.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
It really makes me wonder, don't some of these people have anything *better* to do with their time?
If there's something better than marrying someone you love, please let me know what it is...
Or were you talking about the people who got the decision stayed?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
o/~ Everybody knows that the world is filled with stupid
people... o/~ Unfortunately most of them supported the
stay...
Quote:
Or were you talking about the people who got the decision stayed?
That's a very good question. I was kind of hoping to have people from both sides yelling at me before I answered it though. '.'
(Assuming there *are* people from both sides here, which I admit might not be a viable assumption...)
...But you know, I thought part of the *point* of judges was that they were unelected?
Judging from the way it's described on the Arizona Daily Star's website, it sounds like all the couples but the one who got the waiver have, in legal terms, not really accomplished anything, but I'm not entirely certain. Seems like a rather dubious arrangement. That'd be like if at work we refused to check out someone who was standing waiting in line when the store closed.
-Morgan.
"You're trying to influence people's emotions with a foreign object! That's wrong!"
-Shurelia
Quote:
(Assuming there *are* people from both sides here, which I admit might not be a viable assumption...)
We seem to be a very libertarian group, on the whole.
Besides, I live in Canada. Many of us honestly don't understand why the country to our south makes such a fuss about same-sex marriage; it's been legal here for long enough to not be a big deal, and the Moral Fabric of Canadian Civilization hasn't developed any holes because of it. (It also hasn't been used to try to justify polygamy, which was the biggest worry many people had about changing the definition of marriage.) Recognizing same-sex marriages didn't magically invalidate all the traditional marriages in existance, after all...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012