Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olbermann calls for Bush and Cheney's Resignations
Olbermann calls for Bush and Cheney's Resignations
I don't usually start threads in this area -- but this is an article that I think should be read. I don't expect everyone to like it -- there are a few folks here who I'd suspect would cheer the President on even if he issued orders to round up every fifth random citizen and kill them on the spot, because he apparently can do no evil in their minds -- but I find Olbermann's points to be simple, well-written and compelling.
Keith Olbermann calls for Bush and Cheney's resignations.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Re: Olbermann calls for Bush and Cheney's Resignations
Interesting. But I wonder if he might have made a mistake by having so much of his argument hinge on Scooter Libby's sentence being commuted. That whole thing is such a mess that I have no idea what to think about it. And if you aren't convinced that that action was actually *wrong*, then the whole thing falls apart, to the detriment of arguments that might have a lot more backing to them.
It's also worth noting that since Libby wasn't pardoned, he's still considered a felon, which means he'll no longer be able to practice law, along with other consequences. (Unless, of course, he wins his appeal.) And apparently there's also a large fine involved.
Of course, Bush could still issue a pardon at a later date... Libbey winning his appeal would probably be a greater political advantage, but of course by the time that'll be decided one way or another Bush will no longer be in office. I bet there's some branch of game theory dealing with problems like this...
-Morgan, has the fever for the flavor of projectile pain! Okay, not really...
Current BGM: "EXEC_RIG=VEDA", Ar Tonelico, on constant repeat
..... I read it twice just to make sure I was reading
right. I guess old Keith there didn't take his meds when
he wrote this. Funny isn't it that he doesn't mention who
would be put in charge if Bush and cheney did resign:
Nancy Pelosi.
I wonder if he is more afraid of Hillary being the first
woman president or if that the people aren't
brainwashed enough yet to elect her there. probably
both.
However, if it had been a full pardon I'd been a little
upset.But I'm gonna laugh my butt off if his conviction
gets overturned.
The detail that's really telling for me is that the judge who sentenced Libby is a Bush appointee, given the job precisely because he was tough in sentencing in the way that the Administration wanted.
Except, of course, when it's one of the Administration being sentenced. Then he's "excessive".

-- Bob
---------
minor consesssion point. I think libby shouldhave served a month in prison but 30 is a bit much give the norm for
crimes like this. given what democrats got for worse crimes
it is amazing that he got that much.
The maximum penalty for perjury in the US is five years (also known as sixty months). Considering that he was not only convicted of perjury but of obstruction of justice regarding an act of treason, thirty months is hardly excessive.
The important point here is that Bush's cummuting of Libby's sentence is a direct interference in justice. That jail term was leverage that could have been used against Libby to force him to reveal the information he was concealing. Bush stepped in to make certain this hasn't happened.
I agree with Olbermann. This is Bush declaring that HE is the law and anyone who disagrees with it can take a long walk off a short pier. I doubt, however, that this will have any effect at all.
--------------
Epsilon
Yet that democrat that stole and destroyed classified documents gets a walk?
Link?
---------------
Epsilon
Quote:
gogov.com/bergerwatch.htm

Sandy Berger.
Quote:
Yet that democrat that stole and destroyed classified documents gets a walk?
Nah, he should get a long stay in Club Fed, too. Just because one side does something unethical/illegal doesn't justify the other doing the same. You only get to keep the moral high ground if you stay moral.

-- Bob
---------
Okay.
Berger was convicted of a misdemeanour.
Libby was convicted of a felony.
Do you not see a difference between these two things?
And while Burger was accused of perjury, he has not been convicted of it. In the American law system that means he is innocent. So in other words, these are completely different circumstances.
Not that it matters. This stinks like shit,. because it is shit. Accusing the other side of shit smell doesn't make you any better.
-------------------
Epsilon
That will teach me to read the entire article before I spout off.
In the mean time, evidence of Administration hypocrisy: Last year, the Bush Administration filed a motion insisting courts uphold a 33-month sentence for perjury and obstruction of justice -- the same crimes as Libby -- given to a 24-year-veteran of the armed forces with an exemplary record. Apparently, the rules are different if you're a White House employee, and 30 months for same crime becomes "excessive". Article here.

-- Bob
---------
www.coldheartedtruth.com/...oter_libby
that is the facts on Victor Rita. yes it is probably froma right wing site but it is still verifiable facts.
And Victor Rita was posisbly lying about the purchase of a machine gun modding.
Scooter Libby was lying about treason against the United States of America.
--------------
Epsilon
You missed the point. Rita was in worse shape than libby was.
Legalwise, rita was worse off. Second offense and a
direct link to the crime in question not to mention overt effort
to cover it up. Libby was not part of the crime directly since there was no base crime Another man outted plame and he
just confirmed it if I understand it right.
Now if you put the credentials of Libby and Rita in comaprison
you could make a believable argument that Rita was the
'better' man overall. So they get the same sentence?