Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap, safe drug kills most cancers
Cheap, safe drug kills most cancers
What it says.
Obviously, I'm not qualified to judge the science of this article, but it is from New Scientist and thus can't be dismissed as easily as I would from a less reliable source.
Therefore, this is something that people ought to know about and obviously deserves further research.
Re: Cheap, safe drug kills most cancers
I predict that this will be contested violently by Big Pharma.
I regret this.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Going one step further down the chain and looking at the FAQ, I see that clinical trials have not yet started. I've seen too many "wonder drugs" announced before the clinical trials that failed to live up to their billing during the clinical trials to be skeptical about this claim...
That said, I look forward to seeing what happens when it does go to clinical trials.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: cheap, safe drug...
*shakes head*
Never trust any drug predictions until it's past Phase I at minimum and preferably Phase II - only about 5% of them make it through, period.
First, while animal models are what researchers work with and are the best things that we have... they're models. To draw from my field - we'd've cured paralysis about 5 times now if stuff that worked in rats and mice actually worked in humans.
And it's not quite that safe - I found a couple clinical studies in which DCA was used in an attempt to treat other diseases - unfortunately, in sufficient doses it causes clinical peripheral nerve neuropathy (kills/damages the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord).
That's just a little bit of an issue to work around...
RMH
Re: cheap, safe drug...
Hence, I said "this deserves further research".
Anybody hear what happened with the carbon nano-tubes and radiation treatment to selectively kill cancer cells?
-murmur