Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exxon-Mobil Admits Global Warming Is Real
Exxon-Mobil Admits Global Warming Is Real
Ha ha ha ha ha.
Wow, it's like Big Tobacco copping to lung cancer all over again.
Re: Exxon-Mobil Admits Global Warming Is Real
seen An Inconvienient Truth yet?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I've seen it. Al Gore makes a lot of compelling points and it's nice to see one of the larger oil-giants admitting to the findings.
The trouble is that the changes are already well on their way. Look at current climate conditions. It's going to take a lot in order to repair the damage that has been done. At least as long as it has been taking place, if not, longer. If Exxon think's that reducing carbon output is the answer, well more power to them. They're doomed if they don't move into alternative energy soon, as the only true solution is a multi-pronged attack on global warming and energy issues.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

I'm still convinced that the best 'stopgap' measure available in the power generation field is pebble-bed nukes.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Ditto. Pebble beds are so much safer and efficient than the current rod-n-pile systems.
"Meep?" O.o

Yeah, one question off the top of my head.
pebble-bed is the one that is gas-cooled/catalyzed right?
Or is that the one with a moving reflector?
pebble bed is.. not catalyzed. If you don't need any actual electricity out of it, you don't even need to cool it. It can't go critical on it's own.
A Pebble bed reactor is cooled by helium, which unlike water, cannot become radioactive. The helium runs a turbine in the same old way. Waste products are nuclear waste which can be regenerated in a breeder reactor or dropped into the sun, and heat, which can be regenerated into.. more electricity.
The 'pebble' in question is a graphite onion with a fleck of nuclear fuel in the center. In the event of a catastrophic breach (read: terrorist/government activity), the pebbles can be cleaned up by bunny suits with vaccums and geiger counters.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Interesting... Do you have any references for more details on pebble-bed reactors? (Dead-tree references, that is; what one can find on websited is worth the paper it's printed on, IMHO...)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
lemme ask my roomate - he's a nuke nut. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I'd just print up the Wikipedia article on Pebble Beds unless you were going for serious in-depth material. And by that I mean getting ready to write a paper on the subject, and even then this article has plenty of useful information on the subject. The article in question can be found here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor
"Meep?" O.o

BA's Wikipedia link has a link to the Wired story that originally got me started.
No, Pebble Beds aren't a piece of handwavium (ha ha!), but they're a damn sight better than anything we're using now. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
It is indeed. I wish that corporations would quit twiddling their thumbs and start building these things. The incident in Germany could have easily been prevented if they purged all oxygen from the reactor chamber when they tried to extract the jammed pebble.
"Meep?" O.o

The problem is even if we could stop emissions today the temperature would keep rising for 50 years to a century or so. We are going to be hit with a drastic climate change one way or the other, but if we stop our grandchildern will have to deal with the worst of it, instead of their decendents. Well our grandchildenr will have to deal with the same no matter what, it's what the generations after that that we an affect with policy decision today. That is an inconvient truth neither the enviormentalist nor big oil want to admit, and most people tend not to care in the that long term.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Umm... no, we're not going to cause a dramatic reversal right now.
But you know, if we slow the rate at which we're causing global warming, perhaps the Antarctic ice cap won't fall off for a few more decades (instead of a few more years), giving people more time to do more to halt the problem.
You can bear this in mind as especially important since it will also help preverse large chunks of the ecosystem that are currently collapsing. (I hope you like jellyfish - your kids will be eating a lot of it! ;p)
my kids will subsist on happy thoughts and nice dreams. Please note that this is because they do not and will not exist, however.
I agree, however, that it's too late to make the problem not exist, but we can stop contributing to the problem, and look at ways to moderate the effects. Technology can accomplish anything, you just need Man, Moment, Machine, right?
-K, still a little starry-eyed after all these years.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
The Transatlantic Abort Window is passed.
Doesn't mean we can't make it to orbit.

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Quote:
But you know, if we slow the rate at which we're causing global warming, perhaps the Antarctic ice cap won't fall off for a few more decades (instead of a few more years), giving people more time to do more to halt the problem.
Given that the Antarctic temperature is actually dropping and the ice cap there growing, I think you need to actually look at the scientific evidence rather than the deliberately and maliciously manipulated crap that you normally look for.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
name your source, ECS.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Don't worry, it's just another ECSNorway throw-feces-and-run manouvre. Still waiting for the retraction and apology on Iran, ECS!
NASA?
These are skin temperatures, temperatures of the top millimeter of the land or sea surface, not actual air temperatures. It does cover both of his statements, though.
Edit:Some aditional sources-
This one covers air tempatures from 1960 to 2000.
This abstract from Science states that several ice sheets are gaining significant mass, enough to show that the recession of ice since the Holocene may be ending. IIRC, in another discussion of this buildup, some other excerpts of the article stated that this is due to the glaciers being somehow slowed. We're leaving a 'purge' period and entering a 'binge' period.
Just to point out something minor, y'all ever wonder why they don't say 'Global Warming' anymore, but say 'Climate Change'?
Because the data isn't there for Global Warming - the worldwide temperature hasn't changed enough for it to be global warming. (And some argue we've actually cooled.)
The data *is* there for something going on in the global system that could *change* the system.
Just a tidbit I always found amusing.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Quote:
The data *is* there for something going on in the global system that could *change* the system.
Yeah. It could go up or down by as much as a degree.
Try doing some research on the Medieval Warm Period. The temperature then was about that much warmer, for about five hundred years. Was the result anything like the catastrophe that's predicted?
No.
There are, for example, no records of coastal villages or cities being flooded out. London was already established at that time, for one classic example, and business continued as usual.
There was sufficient clearance of the Arctic ice to allow Viking explorers free passage through most of the Norwegian coast, a viable wine industry in Britain, and so forth. It's generally considered to be tied to a cycle of solar activity.
It was followed by what's known as the Little Ice Age, with temperatures slightly lower than normal, that ended... coincidentally enough... in the early 1800's. Temperature has been slowly rising ever since.
I note that both the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age were about 5-6 centuries in length. This appears to be a regular, ongoing cycle of solar activity affecting Earth's climate in a generally nondestructive fashion.
As for the inflation of the effect by man-made emissions, I compare them to the amount put into the atmosphere by volcanic eruptions... and I find man coming out the worse for it. Mount St. Helens, from the 1980 main eruption to the present, has continued to give off gases of the same sorts that can contribute to "global warming"... in quantities that far outweigh the entire human industrial contribution for the entire 20th century.--
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
From what I've read on both the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age, the effects were primarily in the North Atlantic, not worldwide. Warming in a very specific part of the globe would not have the same effect as the same degree of warming worldwide. I'll see if I can find a reputable source on the subject.
I take it you're of the "there is no global warming" camp, ECSNorway?
Quote:
From what I've read on both the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age, the effects were primarily in the North Atlantic, not worldwide.
Do we have reliable records for areas other than those mentioned so far?
Quote:
I take it you're of the "there is no global warming" camp, ECSNorway?
I can't speak for him, but I suspect our views are similar - that climate change is happening, but that it's not a "runaway" effect and also that man is not the primary cause of it and that nothing we can do is likely to change it.
-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Logan is correct.
I am also of the opinion that the much-famed Kyoto agreement will do less than nothing to actually help prevent 'Global Warming', 'Climate Change', or even create any actual decrease in emissions of greenhouse gases.
Note, for example, that it specifically exempts the two most populous nations on Earth - China and India - whose economies are FAR more dependant on greenhouse-gas-emitting technologies than the US.
It is my firm belief that Kyoto is nothing more than a deliberate attempt to strangle the economy of Western nations and set a precedent for a global taxation authority.--
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.