Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One good thing about an unnecessary election
One good thing about an unnecessary election
The writ's been dropped, and http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/]Canadians go to the polls October 14. I still don't know why, except maybe that the Prime Minister had to negotiate with other party leaders in the just-dissolved minority government instead of getting everything his own way. (Which would explain why he called an election, but doesn't address why an election was necessary...)

At least there's one good thing - http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/crp ... sf/en/Home]Bill C-61, which would have removed some of the "fair dealing" rights from the Canadian Copyright Act, died on the order paper. But was that really worth the ~$300,000,000 it'll cost to hold this election?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Think about it this way, Rob. If a couple of bucks a head is what it takes to keep groups like the RIAA out of your hair (I dunno what the hell they got where
you live), then I'd pony it up. These are the companies that want to take people to court and try to bleed them dry just because they downloaded a song.

So, a couple bucks a head for insurance against corporate monsters? Fuck yeah, sign me up baby! [Image: happy.gif]

One problem is that this is the 3rd national election in 4 years, and part of the cause seems to be Harper getting mad because his minority government
can't simply do whatever he wants, so he wants to try for a majority this time.

Harper's attacks on Dion so far have been sleazy in the extreme (even if it's just the puffin thing that gets all the press). I hope the garbage about
how the Liberal environmental plan "threatens national unity" comes back to bite Mr. "build-a-firewall-around-Western-Canada" in the ass.
Sadly, the Liberal campaign hasn't caught fire yet, but lots of things can happen in a campaign.

Caught fire? There would have to be a campaign for that to happen.

I see Conservative ads every time I turn on the TV, but I've yet to see anything from any of the others yet. If it weren't for the news I'd swear
there wasn't an election on at all. I mean the Conservatives have been running attack ads against Dion for years now. All that's changed is
they're playing more often and there's a few "Isn't Harper a great guy in a nice sweater" ads as well.

--

For someone following Canadian politics, I assure you, this is terribly funny and rife with innuendo.

-- Rob Russell

Quote:I see Conservative ads every time I turn on the TV, but I've yet to see anything from any of the others yet. If it weren't for the news I'd swear there wasn't an election on at all.
Guess which party actually has money in their election funds right now...
--
Rob Kelk

I'm surprised, really I am.

Maybe the lawn signs will start going up soon and it will start to feel like an election.

--

"The human race terrifies me some days - if I could figure out how to pass myself off as an alien, I'd do it in a heartbeat."

-- Lionel Lauer

I've sen a few NDP signs around here.

The Conservatives were fast to put signs up here, with the NDP and Greens following the next day and the Liberals just now getting around to it.

(Mind you, in this riding the poll is traditionally held to find out who comes second to the Liberal incumbent...)
--
Rob Kelk