Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other election tidbits
Other election tidbits
Moving away from the main event over to the sideshows.

ALASKA: Effective immediately your statehood is suspended pending review, as you are http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03876.html]obviously incapable of making competent decisions on your own behalf. General Petraeus will take over as military governor as soon as we can get his ass untangled from Iraq.

...seriously, guys, when the ballot has a bunch of dudes plus one convicted felon, smart people DO NOT VOTE FOR THE FELON. Jesus.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Also, is a good idea if your governor knows Africa is a continent and not a country.

Then again, she can't see it from her house.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*Ahem* According to Alaskain law, he is not a felon until he is sentenced. Sides given

the way the lower 48 treated Palin I wouldn't want a Democrap in there either.

Also if you believe that Bob, I got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you... cheap!Tongue

Other candidates on the Alaskan ballot were as follows.

Alaskan Independence Party: Robert Mario "Bob" Bird
Libertarian Party: Fredrick David "David" Haase
Veteran's Party of America: Ted Gianoutsos

tl;dr: OPTIONS ASIDE FROM THE FELON AND THE DEMOCRAT WERE AVAILABLE.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Well Fidoohki, it is enlightening how you can complain about how Palin was treated and then use the term democrap in the same sentence.

Let us put it in perspective shall we? Palin is on record as supporting intelligent design as a theory (It is not a theory, or even a hypothesis for that
matter.) She has stated that she believes that dinosaurs and humans coexisted - what is commonly known as young earth creationism - a 6,000-10,000 year old
earth.

In other words, she is willfully, deliberately, stupid. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If you believe that evidence points to a 6,000-10,000 year old
earth; you are an idiot and should not be allowed near string let along the Vice Presidency of the United States of America. Futhermore, this is a woman who
could not accurately describe the role of the Vice President. Twice. On record no less. Here's a hint for would be applicants to a position, know what
the position you are applying for entails.

Did Sarah Palin get a lot of stick from the lower 48? Yes. Did she earn that stick? Absolutely.

M Fnord:

Chalk that up to the 'It you don't vote dem or republician you

wasted yout vote.' mentality. Besides split the vote between

the three and the Democrap wins by default.

Rev Dark:

Well that's your opinion, if you want an argument over it see

previous discussions on the subject of religion and intellegence.

Also Joe Biden has 30 years in Washington and HE didn't know

what the VP did either. So what was his excuse?

Now as for the african rumor, a lot of McCain's campaign people

need a scapegoat and can't go after McCain so Palin makes

a good target to cover their incompetence.
YEC and Stupidity
Fidhooki wrote

"Well that's your opinion, if you want an argument over it see previous discussions on the subject of religion and intellegence.

While I try not to attack spelling in posts, your mispelling of intelligence in this context is a delicious bon-bon.

Those are not arguments from the religious side.

They are excuses.

The key phrase is willful, deliberately ignoring evidence in favor of sky-fairy myth. In order to stick to young earth creationism, you have to deliberately
ignore evidence from pretty much every branch of science; while still reaping the benefits that that science has brought to your life.

And that you can see from your window.

Our societies balance on a knife edge, and it is science that allows us to maintain that balance and even further stabilize our precarious position. To have
god-addled simpletons like Palin deliberately undermining those efforts, while reaping the benefits of them, is at best hypocritical and at worse, highly
dangerous.

So yes. Stupid.

Deliberately, maliciously, stupid.

While McCain might go a bit dewy eyed on the poetry of 'god', I give him full marks for going on record as supporting the position of science rather
than the position of deliberate ignorance in regards to evolution.
Further Palin Science stupidity - earmarks and fruit flies.
I shall leave the rebuttal to this one to the excellent Dr. Coyne.

http://www.edge.org/3rd_c...oyne08/coyne08_index.html

Yes. She is that ignorant.

Aren't you equating stupid with wrong in that?
Stupid vrs wrong
A few isolated incidents could be considered wrong.

A consistent pattern as has been demonstrated by Governor Palin- stupid.

stupid is wrong, when it becomes willful ignorance in the face of facts. And at the level that Palin's playing at, it has the capacity to be very VERY
harmful stupid.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Okay but doesn't your views on religion in general cloud your

judgement in this? It's hard to give an unbiased opinion

when your general outlook is ' anyone that believes in religion

is mentally ill' and if not then why?

Granting that, though - young Earth creationism is still ridiculous. Why should it be taken any more seriously than flat-Earthers or people who believe NASA
faked the moon landings?

..or people that don't believe at all perhaps?

What is ridiculous about not believing (in some omnipotent deity, I presume)?

Absolutely nothing. It doesn't make you less of a person

if you do or don't beleive. Just like it doesn't make you

less of a person if you beleive the earth was flat

or NASA faked the moon landing. Though I don't see

much future for someone as a cartogropher or a

astronaut if they did. Tongue The point is as long as it

doesn't affect your judgement

Fidhooki Wrote

"Absolutely nothing. It doesn't make you less of a person

if you do or don't believe. Just like it doesn't make you

less of a person if you believe the earth was flat

or NASA faked the moon landing. "

Bullshit.

If your delusion has the capacity to adversely effect others then it is a huge fucking deal. Pharmacists who refuse to dispense birth control means because
their imaginary friend believes that every sperm is sacred, every ejaculation deserves a first name and a christening. School board official (and politicians)
who tout abstinence education. Fucking Jehovah's Witness Douchebags refusing blood transfusions for their children because of a stupid primitive passage in
a stupid, primitive book!

People who spend huge money to traipse off to Lourdes because their faith says that fucking healing fucking miracles happen there! You want to do something
about cancer. Don't fucking pray, donate to cancer research.

It does effect your judgment Fidoohki my dear little sausage. Anyone who seriously believes, in the face of all evidence to the contrary, that the earth is
flat, or 6-10,000 years old should not be trusted with anything more complex than string. As they have demonstrated rather conclusively that they raise their
delusion over hard won human knowledge. Deliberate, malicious, self imposed stupidity. Are the Discovery Institute and their loathsome ilk sabotaging
education in favor of their quaint, parochial, bullshit, religion?

Arsewipes, the lot of them.

It does not make them less of a person. It also makes them the sort of person you don't trust with anything more complicated than string. And I would keep
the string away from several of them for good measure. Cough! Hovind! Cough!

Quote: Fidoohki wrote:

The point is as long as it doesn't affect your judgement
Nuff said.

Um, I would rather say that believing something that is ridiculous and untrue does not speak well of your judgement.

And your proof that it's untrue is... where, precisely?

By definition, it's impossible to disprove the existance of an omnipotent god, because an omnipotent god who was a real bastard could fake the evidence for
any scenario.

(Personally, I refuse to believe in a god that's that much of a bastard, but that's not really relevent here.)

In any case, beliefs aren't particularly relevent until and unless they translate into actions.

-Morgan.

morganni: exactly.

While we can't absolutely prove that there is no god, the person making the extraordinary claim is generally the one who bears the burden of proof. For
instance if I claim that the reason socks get lost in the wash is an invisible pink unicorn, you can't prove that the invisible pink unicorn doesn't
exist, but that doesn't prove that it does either. In that case I'm the one making the extraordinary claim, and I bear the burden of proof.

What we can do though, is prove that much of what is presented in the bible as truth about the physical world is bunk. The earth is not flat, it is not
possible to climb a tall mountain and see all the nations of earth. The sky is not a beaten copper dish that covers the world, there are no 'waters
above' or 'waters below', a worldwide flood did not happen, all species were not created instantly in their present form, and the world was not
made in six days some 6,000 years ago.

The heavily politicized text of the oral history of a tribe of bronze age desert nomads is not, all things considered, the best guide to physics, biology,
chemistry and geology. Or even history really.

--

Yeah, I know some people believe in that whole "soul/afterlife/gods"

thing. Some people still believe in the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and

1-800 tech support lines, too.

-- Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

Taking a lot of things in the bible as more than metaphor is asking for trouble. Still, I find the "God is an evidence falsifying bastard" idea to be
an amusing philosophical idea, at the least.

Still, when talking about a candidate's "judgement", I think the focus should be on their past actions if at all possible. Stated beliefs
(particularly on side issues) are difficult to get a useful handle on, wheras actual decisions and activities can be proven.

-Morgan.

Morganni, I'm not saying anything about "there is no god". Perhaps you've mistaken me for a certain other poster. I am saying young earth
creationism (in fact, all creationism) is self-evidently ridiculous and false, and speaks poorly of the judgement of anyone who believes in it. Much as if they
believed the earth is flat, or one who believes the UN is controlling us through mind-control rays from satellites.

Would you like to be governed by someone believing in the latter two? They're both "unfalsifiable", by the exact same reasoning. And they have
about as much likelihood as being true as any form of directed-design creationism does.

Ayiekie? Now you are getting ridiculous. 'The earth was flat' was at one time

in the past cosidered right. The other one has never been considered right period.

You were doing so well with the NASA example, why the change? Maybe because

it was plausable perhaps?