Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US government finally admits most piracy estimates are bogus
US government finally admits most piracy estimates are bogus
A Government Accountability Office report on the actual costs of IP piracy -- undertaken because of the big intellectual property enforcement law Bush signed back in 2008 -- has gathered up all the data and subjected it to first real independent scrutiny and analysis, and has determined that just about every claim about the costs of piracy made by the big rightsholders and their organizations is grossly over-inflated, and in some cases outright fraudulent.  Article here.
As the article's author notes, it's a delightful irony that the law that big media and the BSA bought into existence to help keep their pockets lined has, as pretty much its first major action, dealt a death blow to their claims to billions of dollars of lost revenue.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's about freaking time somebody submitted those claims to an analysis. Now that that's out of the way, maybe - just maybe - we can take a stab at establishing a reasonably-close-to-accurate estimate of what piracy actually costs, and then move on to a calm, rational discussion of fair use and appropriate penalties for unfair use...

(No, I don't believe that for a moment either. But it would be nice...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, the next time one of these cases gets even close to court, council for the defense is going to yank the report out and bitchslap the plaintiff with it. I suspect that there are going to be a lot more efforts made to intimidate consumers into settling out of court, to keep an unwanted precedent from happening.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.