Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How BP and The Obama Admin Are Failing The Gulf
How BP and The Obama Admin Are Failing The Gulf
This video is extremely NSFW, but the conclusions are so self-evidently obvious I can understand the writer's rage.
Seriously, spread this around. More people need to be calling for blood on this.
---------------
Epsilon

How is the Fucking President of the Fucking U.S. responsible for Fucking BP's Fucking corporate culture which makes Fucking boom Fucking training Fucking unimportant?

(watch the video, it made my eyeballs bulge in rage, and turns the above language from vaugely confusing and offensive to vaugely amusing)
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

O...kay. About 3-4 minutes in and I think I can live without going through the rest of that. Sheesh...
Look. I'm NO fan of Obama. But I don't really think you can lay the blame for the disaster at his regime's feet.
(I can mock the Obambi regime for incompetency and blowing about like a leaf in the breeze without a clue AFTER the accident, but that's another thing entirely.)

Quote:O...kay. About 3-4 minutes in and I think I can live without going
through the rest of that.
Well, you should watch the rest of it. In that 8 minutes, I learned enough about booming to 'splain me a LOT on wtf is going wrong in the Gulf.

Quote:(I can mock the Obambi regime for incompetency and blowing about like a leaf in the breeze without a clue AFTER the accident, but that's another thing entirely.)

save me a seat, my man. I'll have one in the no-teabagging section.

Quote:Logan Darklighter wrote:
Look. I'm NO fan of Obama. But I don't really think you can lay the blame for the disaster at his regime's feet.
It doesn't blame Obama for the disaster, which you would have seen if you had actually watched the whole video. What it blames Obama for is fucking up the effort to fix the disaster. Specifically by allowing the coast gaurd to continue to say that BP is doing a good job preventing the spill from spreading - which it self-evidently is not (and the video explains in detail how it is not).
---------------
Epsilon

Obama is exactly as much to blame for this as Bush is for Katrina.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Epsilon Wrote:It doesn't blame Obama for the disaster, which you would have seen if you had actually watched the whole video. What it blames Obama for is fucking up the effort to fix the disaster. Specifically by allowing the coast guard to continue to say that BP is doing a good job preventing the spill from spreading - which it self-evidently is not (and the video explains in detail how it is not).
Ah I see. Well in that case I'm pretty much in agreement then. Carry on.

ECSNorway Wrote:Obama is exactly as much to blame for this as Bush is for Katrina.
Mark your calenders folks, I agree with ECSNorway.
I just consider human lives to have more value that the Gulf Coast, so Bush's disaster was still more major.
---------------
Epsilon

http://online.wsj.com/art...od=WSJ_hpp_sections_news

I'll be over here screaming.

Wiredgeek Wrote:http://online.wsj.com/art...od=WSJ_hpp_sections_news

I'll be over here screaming.
FUCK.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/05/2 ... spill.html]Have some more "good" news:
Quote:New oil-flow estimates by scientists studying the blown-out well determined it has spilled between 64 million and 148 million litres, far more than the 42 million litres that spilled in the Exxon Valdez disaster, according to survey director Dr. Marcia McNutt.

Early estimates used satellite images to suggest oil was gushing out of a broken pipe rising from the wellhead at a rate of 800,000 litres a day.

On Thursday, scientists with the geological survey said the amount was five times as much.

Obama blamed BP for not being "fully forthcoming" in providing information to help estimate the size of the spill. BP did not disclose immediately that it had a camera at the well site and did not share images from it until pressured to do so by government officials.

Although one head has already rolled:
Quote:News also surfaced Thursday that the head of the U.S. Minerals Management Service (MMS), which is responsible for offshore drilling, had resigned.

Liz Birnbaum had run the service since July 2009. Her department had faced intense scrutiny in recent days after a report by the Interior Department said MMS staffers had accepted tickets to sports events, lunches and other gifts from oil and gas companies.

The report "can only be described as appalling," Obama said Thursday. He also accused her office of having a "scandalously close relationship" with oil companies.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

... You know, we really should stop letting people get off scott-free just because they resign from their office. A really bad precedent was set with Nixon.

As for those last news articles... *Groans* OMG... As if the fallout from the Cheonon incident isn't bad enough to be dealing with right now...
The blame game
It's interesting right now how the finger pointing is going around. I wonder if BP and Transoceanic will point the finger at the Bureau of Mineral Rights and pointing out that if they've been doing their jobs (i.e. keep a watch over both of them), we wouldn't be in this mess because they would had caught on to what they were doing. I've been involved in some construction projects on the EH&S (environmental health and safety) and I always noted two things on part of the some contractors and most subcontractors:
1.  To make money on the project, try and complete ahead of time, which leads to:
2.  Eliminate some intermediate steps. Some of which could be justified because the conditions are not there. But you better be sure it isn't there and what plans do you have in the event that those conditions return?
The problem I see with most subcontractors and some contractors is this:
Q1:If you have a project in which you eliminate an intermediate step that can save you 30 days on the project leading to a bonus of 1 million with a probable failure rate of  1% of the structure under normal conditions and 5% and perfect storm conditions. The minus side is 75% minor damage, 15% major damage and 10% catastrophic damage to the structure. Would you be willing to take that risk?
Q2Big Grino you have a backup plan in case of trouble
I've seen subcontractors who would had said yes to the Q1 and said "I'll worry about it" when it happens to Q2. Thank you God, I haven't seen any contractors say yes to Q1 yet. But it looks like someone at either BP or Transoceanic said "yes" to Q1.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I've seen this before -Too many chiefs and not enough Indians
Who is in charge?
The problem is when you 3 business entities involved in a dangerous operation where you don't have a person/organization in overall charge of day to day operations. Which means either no one or everyone is at fault.
The same problem with a government response. When you have multiple agencies involved in a crisis with no one in charge, turf wars and CYA is operation.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
You know what assume is don't you?
Making an ASS out of U and ME
There were several things wrong with BP's response plan:
1. Whoever wrote it, cut and pasted a response plan sing the polar region as a template. The the writer proofread what he wrote?
2. Whoever approved it @ BP didn't do his job. Which was to read and make sure it makes sense.
3. Whoever is at Minerals Management Service who approved drilling didn't do his job..which was to also read the plan. Which would at least be listed on the executive summary on what the assumptions of the plans would be and is it realistic and valid and not a farce? And did anyone review the plan and when did he last review it?
This is why gentlemen, when you sign your signature on a document, you make sure you had read it and understood it. Because your ASS will be hanging if anything goes wrong. Which is why CYA is imperative. I'd like to see whoever is involved in this chain show up in Congress.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
The blame game part 2
Not just 1 bad decision, but 5 all in the name of saving time and money
Quote:"Who cares, it's done, end of story, will probably be fine."
Falls under the category of "Famous last words"
I believe that the documents show that BP engineers rolled the dice and rolled snake eyes. Damm..no how many times I'ved seen this it still amazes me.
So what happens now...my guesses:
 The final cost of the clean-up..which would include claims/lawsuits to all business affected by the oil spill...take the worse case amount and triple it. Which may be low ball if the oil escapes into the Atlantic. It'll be interesting to see whether BP can foot the entire bill. Worse case scenario would be seeing BP going to either bankruptcy or being sold to another company. That's going to be an issue in the UK since approximately 10% of dividends paid out in the UK is by BP
The BP CEO Tony Hayward's job as chairman is secure for now. No businessman is going to want the job of being punted into a middle of a crisis. Figure once everything is finished (give it 2 years max)...he'll be given a nice golden parachute and his successor starts with a relatively clean plate.
Figure BP is going to be like Exxon in the near future. A safety conscious company. Better late than never I suppose.
The Dept of Mineral Rights and Resources will have to be rebuilt from scratch. I'd say transfer everyone out save those who had conclusive clean records, promote those and bring in new folks
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

R-Texas Joe Barton - the definition of an honest politician. Once bought, he stays bought.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
They're using FEMA trailers from Katrina?
This where we exposed the clean-up crews to more hazards
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell