Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upset by bumperstickers
Upset by bumperstickers
I'm usually a bit more even-keeled, but today I saw something that I simply couldn't believe any sane person...
Stop.  Let me just lay this out.  I dropped by the dry cleaners today, like I've done every Thursday for the best part of the past ten years.  In the parking lot of the little strip mall where the cleaners are was this humongous silver SUV -- the kind that just smirks at you and says, "Yeah, I get a full 500 feet to the gallon.  Wanna make something of it, punk?"
On the back window driver's side, there was a hand-sized square sticker "TEA" written vertically, with "=Taxed/=Enough/=Already" along the side.  No big, the teabaggers are a little out there in my opinion, but they're exercising their Constitutional rights; doesn't matter if I like their politics or not, they're entitled.
I had to walk around the back of the SUV to get to the cleaners, and that was when I saw the other stickers.  "NObama" was the mildest.  Then there was "Non-White?  Not Right!"  Which stunned me -- I haven't had blatant racism in my face since I was a kid in the 60s.  The one really got me, though, was "The 'Founding Fathers' --  A Bunch of Dangerous Radicals".  (Yes, with quotes around "Founding Fathers", to give the sense of "alleged" or "so-called".) There's just nothing I can say about that one except I was utterly speechless at the sentiment.
What bothers me most was that none of them looked home-made -- which means there must be someone out there mass-producing them.  And that scares me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

There are still flat-earthers. I would apply the same brain-massage technique I use when confronted with homophobia: These poor stupid fucks are done, their numbers are plummeting every day, they just don't know it yet.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Bob Schroeck Wrote:The one really got me, though, was "The 'Founding Fathers' --  A Bunch of Dangerous Radicals".  (Yes, with quotes around "Founding Fathers", to give the sense of "alleged" or "so-called".) There's just nothing I can say about that one except I was utterly speechless at the sentiment.

I'm not really quite sure how you're interpreting that, but then I can't come up with any interpretation of it myself. It's a very weird looking line. Kind of makes me wonder, since from what I've heard Tea Party people seem to be about the most vocal fans of the Founding Fathers around.

But then, I'm also about halfway across the country from you, so who knows. It's not exactly the most... externally consistent?... movement around.

-Morgan.

From what I know of the Tea Party movement (and you should never use the term "Tea Bagger" as it is a sexually explicit insult of a completely juvenile nature) the makers of the bumper sticker in regards to 'Founding Fathers' was probably intending it as a compliment to the Founding Fathers showing that in their day they were far more radical in their thinking than many people today who think they have a proprietary right to the term "radical". The problem is that the makers of that sticker didn't understand the proper use of quotation marks. It's a "editorial typo" rather than an attempt at irony. 

Something for 'The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks' perhaps?

-"Morgan".

I'm guessing the actual message there is that the Tea Party people think their views (considered "dangerously radical") are in fact the same as those of the founding fathers; hence, the quotes should be around the dangerous radical part.