Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voter Fraud already underway

Indeed.

BTW did anybody take a look at the ratings of the big three cable news networks during election day? http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fnc-election ... well-done/

Oddly enough Fox news on top, CNN on the middle and MSNBC on the bottom. Which from the snippets MSNBCs election coverage I've seen is no surprise. Next time someone says that Fox is biased rightward I'll ask if they watched MSNBC in the 2010 election.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Funny you should mention that, since MSNBC suspended their most well-known anchor for donating to Democrats (and not mentioning when he interviewed one of them, which is a fair point). Fox's attitude towards donating to Republicans is, shall we say, just a wee bit more lax.

Jonah Goldberg has some cogent thoughts on the subject: 

Quote:So Olbermann gave money to some Democratic candidates. Ostensibly the rules against this are intended to prevent journalists from giving the appearance of bias. Whether or not such rules make sense for actual reporters, such rules are silly for someone like Olbermann. Does anybody, and I mean anybody, suddenly trust Olbermann’s opinion less because of this news? I’m waiting. Does anyone think he’s less biased? More biased? Un-biased?

Second, the larger problem with these kinds of rules is that they do little to prevent media bias and a great deal to hide an important form of evidence of it. Banning liberal journalists from giving money doesn’t prevent them from being liberal, it just gives them a bit more plausibility when they deny it. Now, I can see the argument that someone who makes a donation would be more interested in protecting their investment, as it were. So I don’t think the policy is completely misguided. But at a certain level banning donations is like NPR barring staff from attending the Jon Stewart rally. It doesn’t fool anyone, but gives the accused a lawyerly rebuttal to accurate accusations.

Which is precisely the point. How anyone could mistake Keith Olberman as a "journalist" is beyond me! Despite (or maybe because of) his attempts to draw flattering comparisons between himself and Ed Murrow, nobody but nobody should be fooled into making that mistake. He's a pundit - a commentator. He's SUPPOSED to have opinions! He does have a bias and it's always been clear to see it. That's the whole POINT of his show! And as such, applying the "journalistic ethics" rules against Olberman as if he had any integrity as a journalist that this would effect is, on the face of it, very suspect. Should he be able to make contributions? Sure! Go right ahead and let him! My opinion of the man (and MSNBC) won't be changed, and neither should anyone else's. 

Let me make this particular distinction clearly: He donated money to candidates he liked. He didn’t take money, or favors, in a way that influenced his on-air antics. 

The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it gets.  MSNBC offers the most ridiculously biased televion coverage of politics possible (on the left side of the spectrum), crowning it with Election Night coverage that had people wondering if NBC needed to hire grief and anger counseling for the entire on-air staff.  And now, because Olbermann contributed to three Democrats last month, suddenly Griffin suspends him because “these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest”?

C'mon! Pull the other one! Who do you people think you're trying to fool, here anyway?

He’s far from the only cable host to make donations to political candidates now and then. Hannity and Huckabee have also done fundraising and/or donated, although as Howard Kurtz noted in a recent article, Fox News distinguishes between its commentator crew and its journalist crew on that score. 

I think something else is going on here. And the "ethics" charge was brought up to get rid of him as cover. An excuse. As such it's WRONG. 

What this is really about, of course, is Fox:
Quote:In suspending Mr. Olbermann, NBC appeared to be trying to differentiate itself from the Fox News Channel, a unit of the News Corporation. NBC executives privately said that they saw a chance to draw a distinction between the journalistic standards of their news division and the standards of Fox, a favorite of Republicans. Media Matters, a liberal media monitoring group that opposes Fox, noted on Friday afternoon that two Fox News hosts, Neil Cavuto and Sean Hannity, had given money to Republican politicians in the past.
The News Corporation also came under scrutiny this year for a $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association — a donation that Mr. Olbermann has been sharply critical of.
A few weeks ago, Griffin noted that Fox lets its guests fundraise on air and crowed, “Show me an example of us fund-raising.” Whereupon Johnny Dollar quickly compiled a bunch of examples. Media Matters has also been whining on MSNBC’s behalf about Fox giving too much airtime to particular candidates, like Rand Paul. Johnny Dollar turned that one around too in a big way

It’s not that one network has a slant and the other doesn’t; it’s that, as Jon Stewart said to Chris Wallace, MSNBC is “double-A ball.” And suspending Olby for this nonsense is a weak, transparent attempt by them to convince people that they’re not.

Bring Keith Olberman back, MSNBC! If you think the conservatives want him gone because of this, you're mistaken! Where would we be without "Bathtub Boy" to laugh at? He's comedy GOLD for our side anyway!

As far as I can tell, regardless of who the President may be, or whether he (or she) may be Republican or Democrat, roughly 25% of the US population will consider them to be spawn of the Devil based solely on their political affiliation.

Timote: There's a long-standing joke that politics in the US consists of the Party of Stupid, and the Party of Evil.

Which is Democrat and which is Republicans is left as an exercise for the reader.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:Timote: There's a long-standing joke that politics in the US consists of the Party of Stupid, and the Party of Evil.

Which is Democrat and which is Republicans is left as an exercise for the reader.
More typically, the punchline runs along the lines of: your party are all fools, the other party is Evil. Regardless of which side you're on.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

If I were the one telling the joke, it'd probably be "All of the above".

-Morgan.

True also, but probably less funny.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

There was an op-ed from Peggy Noonan a while a back which was linked by Jerry Pournelle.

Of which I'll quote a particularly amusing paragraph...

http://webcache.googleus...k&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Speaking broadly: In the 2006 and 2008 elections, and at some point during the past decade, the ancestral war between Democrats and the Republicans began to take on a new look. If you were a normal human sitting at home having a beer and watching national politics peripherally, as normal people do until they focus on an election, chances are pretty good you came to see the two major parties not as the Dems versus the Reps, or the blue versus the red, but as the Nuts versus the Creeps. The Nuts were for high spending and taxing and the expansion of government no matter what. The Creeps were hypocrites who talked one thing and did another, who went along on the spending spree while lecturing on fiscal solvency.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

I love how all these comparisons of how bad both parties are are always talking about spending and taxes and government expansion, and never about invading other countries and killing thousands of innocent people and operating illegal prisons where 15-year-olds are brutally tortured and held without trial for years on end while the government fights not to have to give them a day in court.

Thank god people have their priorities straight. Because nothing is more important than whether you pay a hundred dollars more or less in taxes at the end of the year, amirite?

That's the nature of people. They care about things that directly affect them and their lives, their own constituency, their own local problems, rather than those that are far away.... known only through newspaper and television. It doesn't help that most of what you see on TV has the inherent unreality of the medium ingrained on the mind along with it. How many times were we all told as children by our parents that "It's on the TV, so it isn't real", or something similar? Something about TV news just doesn't seem real until you meet the people who were there and involved.

Taxes are things we see... taxes intrude on our lives. So does the Government. So does the provision of healthcare, or insurance. So does employment, or whether there's a proper bloody footbridge across the canal leading to the train station, rather than having to play 'dodge the HGV' on a humpbacked roadbridge built when Pontius was a Pilot.

It really is just human nature. An unfortunate aspect perhaps, and one I'm aware of in myself.

Or it could just be someone preferring to focus on a certain area of discussion at a time, like the one that are actually the focus of most of the political campaigning, when discussing the outcomes of said campaigning.

It's not like there aren't plenty of other issues that aren't getting much attention. (Say, some of the stuff Cal-OSHA is up to, which I find quite literally terrifying.)

-Morgan.