Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Price of Gas...

Star Ranger4 Wrote:... Yes, we do resemble that remark. Very much so.
 Yup, SoCal can secede from the rest of the country and can do very well. Heck, people from east of the big muddy thinks Angelenos are from another planet.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Heh. North California and Arizona and Nevada would very much love to see SoCal secede. Then they can cut off the water or charge what it really SHOULD be worth to them. See how many people stay in SoCal THEN! I lived in California for a few years so I have some idea of the contempt the rest of the state has for SoCal and vice-versa.

As to the asinine statement of cities being where people should live.
People should be able to live wherever the hell they want and can
afford! That's choice and that's freedom. Don't you DARE condescend to
think that you know what's best for everyone else! If a family has the
means to, they can and should live wherever they want that works for
them.

For about a decade, my dad had a house next to an airstrip out in the country and a  Cessna 150 he used to fly to and
from the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex (30-40 minutes of flight tops). He kept a car parked at a small airport within the city limits for when he wanted to visit someone or had business that had to be taken care of in person. His age finally made it impossible for him to pass the stringent medical to keep his pilots license. (I'd trust him to fly even now, but 'technically' his health isn't reliable enough for the feds. He's ok with where he lives at present. But he hates the traffic and he still misses being able to fly on his own. My brother has a pilots license so they still go up. Believe me - my brother is NOT the pilot on those flights, that's just window dressing in case some nosy FAA investigator comes sniffing around.)
Gonna tell my dad he was violating some 'natural law' that people should live in the cities?

"Wherever the hell they want and can afford". So, no reason to complain about how expensive it is not to live there, right? Free market and all that good stuff.

Though, really, while it's better for the environment and land use to have as many people urban as possible, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of supporting First World lifestyles at all.

Okay, this is moving into Politics, now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Logan Darklighter Wrote:As to the asinine statement of cities being where people should live.
People should be able to live wherever the hell they want and can
afford! That's choice and that's freedom. Don't you DARE condescend to
think that you know what's best for everyone else! If a family has the
means to, they can and should live wherever they want that works for
them.
Sure. As long as that cost includes the actual cost of living that lifestyle, including all the externalized costs.
Your freedom to swing your fist ends at my nose. Similarly, you freedom to have cheap oil ends when you are inflicting irreperable environmental and political damage to millions of people across the world.
----------------
Epsilon

Okay, it just went $3.50 in my neck of the woods.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell