Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Election Outcome

Ayiekie Wrote:unless the NDP has utterly collapsed in the meantime (not improbable, given over half the NDP MPs are rookie members from a notoriously fickle Quebec, many of whom would not have been properly vetted as candidates since they were only warm bodies at the beginning of the election, not expected to have any chance to win).
One of the local NDP candidates took a vacation the week before the election - and still got elected despite that. If there are many others like that candidate, there's a distinct chance that the Official Opposition will self-destruct sooner rather than later.

Ayiekie Wrote:In a sense, this means the majority government is actually a reasonably good situation for the Libs (if they had to drop to 34 seats, anyway). It gives them time to rebuild, to take their time picking a leader (who, if they have any sense, won't be Bob Rae or Justin Trudeau),
I doubt Trudeau would want the interim position - that kills any chance he'd get the job full-time. (Considering he's the only Liberal in Quebec to increase his share of the vote compared to the last election, I'd say he's got a good chance of getting the job. He got where he is on his own merits, not by trading on his father's name.)

And, considering which party Bob Rae was in when he was Premier of Ontario, I can just see the wisecracks from the Conservatives about "two New Democratic leaders" if he got the nod... so bad idea, yes.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Messages In This Thread
Canadian Election Outcome - by Epsilon - 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
[No subject] - by Ayiekie - 05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
[No subject] - by Epsilon - 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM
[No subject] - by Florin - 05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
[No subject] - by robkelk - 05-04-2011, 01:32 AM