Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amina in Damascus
Amina in Damascus
http://damascusgaygirl.blogspot.com/
She has apparantly been taken by some security people. She's the friend of an internet friend and is probably in deep trouble. I believe she has dual US citizenship, but I don't, so don't really know how much help she can expect.

Hooooooooooooooo boy...

I am deeply pessimistic that she will ever be heard from again. This sucks. 

It's been picked up by a number of news organisations, including MSNBC, Fox, CNN, Washinton Post and a mention in an article on the BBC website. They seem to be just reprinting the article from the blog, though.

I agree with Logan. This does not bode well at all.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Going by this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13679109 there's some bad things brewing and going down all over Syria. Hopefully her situation is just going to be a either deportation or detention for being a journalist, but it's probably much, much worse.

Probably. After all, why would they deport one of their own citizens?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The sticking point is that she has dual citizenship - she's also a US Citizen, odd as that may be.

I don't think the Assad regime cares one damn about that, BA. They know we're not going to do anything real to them. They have nothing to fear from us. 

Correct. According to multiplecitizenship.com's entry on Syria, a second citizenship is of secondary importance. Under Syrian law, she's Syrian first.

--
Rob Kelk

Before we get too excited, it's probably worth mentioning that there's not a lot of evidence this person actually exists. At the very least, purported pictures of her in fact all seem to be of someone else.

She's been connected to a mailing list I'm a member of (got kicked off the Stirling list for continually discussing politics, been active on Lidlesseye and Crescentland) for five years so if she is a fake internet identity she's a very long term fake internet identity and one that significantly predates the entire Arab spring.
On the other hand, even Scott Palter, who knows her best, hasn't met her in person.

http://www.washingtonpost...yH0RH_story.html?hpid=z1
My apologies for any worries I may have caused by forwarding that. I can only plead ignorance.
He (yes, he) has posed an apoligy to the blog. One thing about the apology - he was very clear and specific in it that it was just him and his wife was not involved. Was he lying about that?

Quote:My apologies for any worries I may have caused by forwarding that. I can only plead ignorance.
No problem. I got to do some research about dual citizenship because of it, and I like doing research...
--
Rob Kelk

I'd never heard of Avina before this thread was posted. Somehow this situation does not surprise me though. Because it's not the first time I've seen this happen. Over on the Hero Games forums, there was a similar situation where -two- female personas (portrayed in a lesbian relationship with each other) turned out to be run by one guy. That was a really really strange scenario. There was no damage there except to people's feelings/sense of trust etc. But he was pretty much persona non-grata over there after that with many (if not most) people on those boards.

Gyaaaahhhh, I hate it when people pull this kinda shit.

And my brief read on the situation in Syria itself managed to get it placed on the list of places I'd only be willing to visit with the backing of a Marine Expeditionary Force (a list containing most of the Middle East, Columbia, North Korea and parts of Africa). I've yet to have added anything to the list of places to visit with MEF support with a Base Delta Zero before hand......
And another followup, six years later
She was a hoax.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: And another followup, six years later
(11-17-2017, 04:54 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: She was a hoax.

Yep. The weird thing is that "she" was a "friend" of a friend and used to hang out in related mailing lists.
RE: Amina in Damascus
... and I just realized that I didn't read through the entire thread and missed that we had that reveal already... <sigh>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....