Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Stop Online Piracy Act, or the I want to take the Internet away Act.

JFerio Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Surprisingly, one of the largest collections of derivative works out there - fanfiction.net - is not dark. They've got quite a lot to lose if SOPA/PIPA passes; one would think they'd care...
It could also be that they're trying to avoid raising their profile in case SOPA does actually pass and get signed. Or they're trying to avoid the fallout in forums about taking a stand either way.
Either that, or they really haven't actually noticed.
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Different context, I know... but the principle still applies.
JFerio Wrote:As for fallout in forums, one thing that I've been doing over at DAZ3D is taking note of the Published Artists there in the forum that have actually come down in full favor of SOPA passing. Only one so far, but that one has basically ensured I won't buy his products anytime soon...
Which one? Perhaps we could organize a boycott...

(Email me if you'd prefer not to post the name: robkelk -atsign- gmail -period- com)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I liked what the daily WTF ( http://thedailywtf.com/ ) did, they did a whiteout in "support" of sopa.

I'll reproduce the full text here in case people are curious and if they take it down, but you should check out there version it's prettyier and has links.

Quote:Support The Daily WTF in Supporting the Support SOPA Movement

It’s January 18, 2012 and, while most of the internet has decided to blackout their sites in opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), we’re taking an opposite stance and are whiting-out The Daily WTF in support of SOPA supporters.

If there’s one thing that SOPA proponents like myself and SOPA opponents can agree on, it’s that PROTECT-IP and the Stop Online Piracy Act have little to do with protecting intellectual property and stopping online piracy.

After all, those who choose to steal creative works like the “I Have a Dream” speech from artists like Martin Luther King Jr. can already be sued and prosecuted under existing United States copyright laws. IP thieves living overseas can already be extradited to face justice in our federal courts. And the Department of Homeland Security can already arbitrarily seize domain names that fit its arbitrary standard of violating national something-or-other.

While these laws will make such acts more illegal (and therefore reduce infringement), they’re doing something much, much more important: helping dismantle DNS and the internet as we know it. And that’s something that we firmly support and can stand by.

You see, back in the day, if you wanted to get online and access electronically-stored information like digitized photographs, electronic bulletin boards, and informational databanks, there was only one thing you needed: a telephone number. You’d simply fire up your favorite telecommunications program (mine was Telix), have it dial that phone number, and after a refreshing symphony of beeps and hisses, you were online.

Each phone number transported you to a quaint, peaceful community that was almost entirely self-sufficient. There was no “hyperlinking” between systems: you simply wrote down the phone number, signed-off of the current system, and then dialed into the new system. And let me tell you, there are few experiences in life that can parallel the utter bliss of discovering a new phone number and a new electronic resource.

And then the Information Superhighway – and its tightly integrated Domain Name System – came along, decimating these peaceful, independent communities. The bulletin boards of old were ground up and churned in the giant “dot com” machine, leaving an interconnected web of domain names. There’s no more “going online” – you’re already online – and if you want to access an electronic resource, you can use a “domain name” like TheDailyWTF.com.

Domain names are highly confusing in that they not only describe what the electronic resource is, but where it is as well. Nothing else in the world works like this for obvious reasons. Could you imagine the complete confusion in day-to-day things like getting a phone number? Is that “jenny eighty-six dot com” or “jenny eighty-six dot net”? We would be in complete chaos.

SOPA and PROTECT-IP offer hope in returning to the golden age of telecommunications, and to the days before the Information Superhighway polluted the online culture with this domain name nonsense. Let the Domain Name System a natural death and prepare yourself for the Internet Protocol Number (IPN) renaissance. All you need to do is start a notebook that lists electronic resource names and their corresponding IPN. And let the first entry in your notebook be

The Daily WTF 74.50.110.120

We can only hope that our legislators introduce common sense guidelines to ban HTTP (and HTML/JavaScript) as well so we can all return to the more sensible GOPHER standard.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

robkelk Wrote:"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Different context, I know... but the principle still applies.
There is that. Right now, I'm assuming it means a site is neutral, or against but doesn't want to deal with the hate mail right at the moment, if it doesn't say. Otherwise, I might as well call my internet provider and cancel my service right now. (Actually, I should anyway, it's Comcast. I only went with them when I moved to my current place because I live on top of a radio station, and had trouble with the dialup modem, and might have similar issues with DSL.)
Quote:robkelk wrote:Which one? Perhaps we could organize a boycott...

(Email me if you'd prefer not to post the name: robkelk -atsign- gmail -period- com)
No, I'll go ahead and say it publicly. After all, he publicly declared it on the DAZ3D forum.
His name is IgnisSerpentus, and he's got something like 25 products there right now. http://www.daz3d.com/i/sh...tistlist/-/?artist=32385
Do not buy his work. He advocates locking the internet down to little more than another big media pipeline because he's seen his work all over the various torrent sites.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

So I saw when I went to look at the thread more closely. His stuff is now off my wishlist.

On the flip side, at least four artists have come down firmly against SOPA/PIPA:
  • %[link=http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/artistlist/-/?artist=484446]XP Pointblank]
  • %[link=http://vanishingpoint.biz/]VanishingPoint]
  • %[link=http://d9s.co/]LizzieP_D9S]
  • %[link=http://www.poserdirect.com/mrsparky.html]Mr Sparky]

(And, while he hasn't come out and said so, http://www.schells.ca/]Chris Schell appears to be anti-SOPA/PIPA as well.)

Let's support them, shall we?
--
Rob Kelk

Names noted and bookmarked. I get paid tomorrow, and I can contemplate what to buy.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

... Do render-products such as those usually go for that much? I can understand that it's a niche market and that building takes time, patience, and skill... I wouldn't charge that much for something that could probably just be torrented. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Prices usually range from $5 to $25, with more complex models tending toward the high end. There are outliers on both ends of the scale.
--
Rob Kelk

My friend Murdock wrote this comic. Yes, technically it's a day late, but it's relevant.

http://www.zingcomic.com/2012/01/19/plan-b/
--

Legislators run for the exits on SOPA/PIPA after protests
Original source from Hot Air, Posted at 11:20 AM on January 19, 2012 By Ed Morrissey

Quote:In darkness, there is apparently much sunlight.  As a number of Internet sites either went dark or protested the proposed anti-piracy bills circulating in Congress, a number of sponsors ran for cover, reports The Hill:
Quote:GOP Sens. Roy Blunt (Mo.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), John Boozman (Ark.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.) dropped their support for the Senate version of the anti-piracy legislation, and Sen. John Cornyn (Texas), who leads the Senate GOP’s campaign arm, said the legislation should be put on hold.
Hatch, Rubio, Blunt and Boozman all pulled their sponsorship of the Senate bill.
“Rushing something with such potential for far-reaching consequences is something I cannot support,” Hatch said in a statement.
And a few climbed off the fence:
Quote:Other lawmakers staked out their opposition for the first time. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) and Tea Party favorite Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) came out against SOPA and PIPA, with DeMint labeling the anti-piracy measures “misguided bills that will cause more harm than good.”
“When protecting intellectual property rights, we must not undermine free speech, threaten economic growth or impose burdensome regulations,” DeMint tweeted.
Rand Paul, who had already opposed PIPA (the Senate version of the bill), pledged to filibuster the bill in order to defeat it.  He’ll get his chance next Tuesday, because Harry Reid still hasn’t given up on the entertainment industry’s big wish-list item.  He has a cloture vote scheduled at that time, and a defeat will mean the end of both bills, probably for the rest of this session.
That doesn’t mean a complete end to the issue.  Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX) insists that his bill will move forward, and that opponents don’t have a coherent argument against its current form.  Smith says that the government would have to get a court order to shut down websites and that their power won’t be abused.  However, that is still a prior restraint without a proper form of due process for the accused, whose property should not be seized (which is essentially what this is) without a solid finding of guilt, and not just a court injunction, which is what SOPA allows.  It’s essentially the same process as we saw in Sackett v EPA, only with a smidge more of judicial review.
John Boehner says he will put the brakes on SOPA consideration in the House as well:
Quote:Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) expressed a reluctance to move forward with SOPA on Wednesday, with both sides still divided over the bill and its potential consequences.
“Listen, this bill is in committee. It’s had a number of hearings. It went through a markup, and it’s pretty clear to many of us that there’s a lack of consensus at this point,” Boehner said. “And I would expect the committee to continue its work to try to build a consensus before this bill moves.”
Clearly, the opponents have the momentum.

Fight's not over though. Not by a long shot. Keep a sharp eye out for the sneaky bastards to try passing it as an end-of-session thing. Or as part of a different, seemingly unrelated bill as an add-on rider. 

-Logan
-------------------
"Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain.  Do you honestly 
think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the 
slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?  I did it 
thirty-five minutes ago."

Adrian Veidt, "Watchmen"

--------------------

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier -- the financial news I listen to on CBS radio during my ride to work was talking about the results of yesterday's action, and apparently the groundswell of opposition took the big media companies by surprise, bigtime; there was even a quote from an (unnamed) representative of one company complaining that the social network sites and other new media outfits can reach many more people much much faster than traditional media can. Well, yes, they're dinosaurs, it's no wonder they're slower and dumber -- and less friendly -- than the mammals that are replacing them.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

JFerio Wrote:My friend Murdock wrote this comic. Yes, technically it's a day late, but it's relevant.

http://www.zingcomic.com/2012/01/19/plan-b/
One thing I find particularly telling is how one of the people react to the idea of turning to organized crime: "Hot damn!  We'll at least get due process if we're caught!"

Late word on the radio news: both bills are dead in the water. Sen. Patrick Leahy, PIPA's author, is spitting nails about it, and because just about every co-sponsor on both bills bailed on them and disavowed their previous support. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- ... ColumnArea]CBS News item here.
-- Bob
---------

We still need to keep up the pressure. I'm planning on voting for the opponents of whoever supported either bill... and the ones who changed from Support to Oppose will only get voted for if their opponent is worse on other pet issues I might have.
--

Leahy's in tight with Hollywood. He was in The Dark Knight as the senator whose campaign dinner the Joker was Terrorizing.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

JFerio Wrote:We still need to keep up the pressure. I'm planning on voting for the opponents of whoever supported either bill... and the ones who changed from Support to Oppose will only get voted for if their opponent is worse on other pet issues I might have.

I suppose there's a list of those somewhere? I haven't heard anything about how the ones local to me were on it.

-Morgan.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Late word on the radio news: both bills are dead in the water.
However, "dead in the water" is not the same as "scuttled and sunk"... Maintain vigilance!
--
Rob Kelk

True enough.
-- Bob
---------

A little too late for me. http://www.techdirt.com/a...pulls-sopa-support.shtml

Do remember. Stay vigilant. Vote the supporters out of office. And expect, as their model degrades further, the MPAA and RIAA will try harder and harder to get these things in place to force the internet out of competing with them as a content delivery engine.
--

Morganni Wrote:I suppose there's a list of those somewhere? I haven't heard anything about how the ones local to me were on it.

Answering own question.

http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/states

Looks like one of my local guys was at one point a co-sponsor for PIPA (along with 38 or 39 other people), but he also spoke out about there being problems with the bill before the blackout. So we'll see.

-Morgan.

Meanwhile, in Paddyland

Let's not forget about the end-run the lobbyists are trying to finagle:

Just like what they did with copyright law in 1978 in the first place, they're trying to dodge common sense and public outcry via international diplomacy.

Seems the lobbyists are meeting in Hollywood soon to work out international copyright treaties to shove down our throats as faits-accompli.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

In case no one's noticed, Wil Wheaton unloaded on Chris Dodd on his Tumblr when Dodd started publicly threatening the politicians that washed their hands of SOPA and PIPA. Details here: http://wilwheaton.tumblr....hreatens-politicians-who