Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm just going to drop this here...
I'm just going to drop this here...
...and come back when the screams of rage die down.
http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/05/cats-1-kids-0/
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Comments on Paypal's facebook page are made of win and awesome. They're scrambling to delete them all, but it's like trying to beat back an avalanche.

"Hey man. You can delete posts all you want. I have three cases of soda and a metric fuckton of coffee. Bring it."

"I don't always like to steal Christmas from poor children, but when I do I prefer to use Paypal."

"Much like the dinosaurs and the yuppie, PayPal became a victim of its own environment. Next we examine the enigma of the platypus. First a word from Haliburton."

"Thank God this isnt a busy time of year for you guys."
"I wonder how many donations for sick cats will be made as a result of this..."

Best of all, Wil Wheaton has taken notice. Now, if we can only get George Takei... Wink

Okay, now it's time to start getting Old Media to pay attention. If we play the "evul IntarWebs" card, we should get about the right response.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
April
I am so glad I download Ragnar's Smells like teen spirit from her site before she swapped it over the regretsy.  She used to have the most awesome collection of musical WTF out there.

PayPal has publicly "apologized" and claims to be working with her... she says she hasn't yet heard from their people.

http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/06/breaking-news/

This puts me a lot closer to reviewing my entire financial picture in efforts to remove as much Big Corporation as I can manage.

As it is, I did close my PayPal account last night, which I had opened for the sole purpose of purchasing a single homebrew game for my Atari 7800. And I was already reluctant to venture back into eBay territory. At this point, I can guarantee that I will never visit either site ever again, and will avoid buying from anyone that insists I use PayPal. Not without them voluntarily registering as a financial institution because they hold money (unlikely), and voluntarily donate a year's worth of income (not profit, income, also unlikely).
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Quote:I am so glad I download Ragnar's Smells like teen spirit from her site before she swapped it over the regretsy. She used to have the most awesome collection of musical WTF out there.
Agreed. I only discovered Regretsy a few weeks ago, when I tried to go to her archive for the first time in what had to be many many months. (I initially thought there had been some kind of hack attack on her...)
-- Bob
---------

Paypal literally could not give a fuck if your money gets where it needs to go, so long as they have it. In fact, they have a perverse incentive to find frivolous reasons in their TOS to close accounts and hold on to the money freely donated.

The only option is to take them to small claims court over it.

Oh... and the US government are planning on giving themselves the ability to order sites like Paypal not to do business with other websites, and hold onto their cash.... based on the flimsiest of accusations.

Paypal has reversed their position and put things back correctly. I'd like to know if the jackwagon responsible for the shitty behavior on their part has been terminated, but oh well.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Jferio posted a link at least to an earlier version of the story several messages back. Last time I checked, Paypal hadn't really apologized, they simply "regretted" the bad publicity and have not admitted any fault or error on their part -- they're pretty much saying, "okay, okay, we're putting everything back, so everyone's cool, right?" in the hopes the bad word-of-mouth will go away.
-- Bob
---------

She updated her last post. "UPDATE: I just spoke with Paypal and had an encouraging conversation. They have apologized and made several concessions which are very much appreciated, and I will update you about that as soon as I pee." http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/06/breaking-news/

I think it should not have taken an internet firestorm. And I'm kinda hoping this is the one that makes people FIND a way to dislodge PayPalm from their position, even if it does mean internet commerce undergoes a significant amount of shrink as a result before alternatives can fill the gap.

Their public "apology" was boilerplate and really didn't admit to wrongdoing, or that they had a CSR fuckup, or anything else that was basically on the table. Especially as it's an ongoing problem.

As my friend Myk of El has noted, they have passed into unforgiveable actions at this point. The only thing that would stop people is their virtual stranglehold on the transaction market, and I don't think that should stop them from being ousted.
--

JFerio Wrote:I think it should not have taken an internet firestorm. And I'm kinda hoping this is the one that makes people FIND a way to dislodge PayPalm from their position, even if it does mean internet commerce undergoes a significant amount of shrink as a result before alternatives can fill the gap.
Let's see... They accept money, hold money, and pay out money. Why are they not regulated as a bank?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

They've made efforts to keep, by LETTER of the law, out of bank status. I don't agree that it's in the SPIRIT of the law.

At the least, they should be regulated like a credit card company. Which would be more than they're being regulated now.
--

OK, another update. Progress, but they announced they had donated, when they haven't even done it yet.

http://www.regretsy.com/2011/12/06/soon ... l-pay-pal/

In the meantime, while I'm not planning on doing things like burning my deviantArt account down to the ground, I'm basically working to ensure that I won't make them money even indirectly. I started with yanking the print option on the one piece on dA that I'd set up, since there's a greater than zero chance someone would buy one using a PayPal account.

I may find I'll never be able to sell stuff online, but to be honest, that won't be that great a loss overall compared to the alternative.
--