Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massage the data enough and you'll get the results you want...Particularly when they fit your political beliefs..
Massage the data enough and you'll get the results you want...Particularly when they fit your political beliefs..
A group of researchers claim to have found a linkage between social conservatism, low IQ and prejudice. I'd say that a more likely explanation for this studies results lies with the researchers political leanings as well as the way they weighed the answers of their study subjects in their analysis. I'll give them that low education levels can be linked to racism but the same sorts of prejudices can be found at high education levels. I found the linkage prejudice and social conservatism a bit iffier as I can see various issues that would skew their results. I would also say that research results more of an example of researchers massaging the data till they "found" the results they wanted.
I'm far from being socially conservative by any measure but the way the reporter wrote things up annoyed me. Link below.
http://news.yahoo.com/low...prejudice-180403506.html
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

I ran into a similar message earlier, from someone who also complained that keeping people from discussing politics on the S M Stirling list was me being authoritarian and not to prevent flamewars.

Given just how many people post on the S.M. Stirling Yahoo group I can't blame you and your fellow moderators for blocking political discussions if anything given the nature of Science Fiction fans allowing political topics in the list would be like throwing a match into a powder magazine...explosively flammable at the least. I do get his complaint about it being censorship.

And yes I'm subscribed to the group and have it set to web access only as I do for the majority of the yahoo groups I'm subscribed to. Anything else and my inbox would be overwhelmed in the email deluge. And that is with my yahoo spambait and ecommerce email address.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

werehawk Wrote:Given just how many people post on the S.M. Stirling Yahoo group I can't blame you and your fellow moderators for blocking political discussions if anything given the nature of Science Fiction fans allowing political topics in the list would be like throwing a match into a powder magazine...explosively flammable at the least.
Oh, you mean like this?
[Image: Incendiary_by_jollyjack.jpg]
I love this pic.

The register also has an article on this; http://www.theregister.co...02/03/thick_kids_racist/

Personally I would want to look over their paper and check their methodology, and have it confirmed by an independent study before I accept their results at face value. They must have known this would set of a shitstorm and so I'm reasonably confident they doted their i's and crossed their t's.

However I haven't bothered to find a DOI link for it, because in the sum of it I don't really care, but I would not jump to the automatic conclusion that the researchers are baised (though they likely are).
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."