Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glad I don't live over there...
Glad I don't live over there...
You know, I generally try to be strictly neutral in most matters. It actually takes more guts to say "I have considered both sides and I am neither for nor against...[XYZ]" then to hope issues go away or pick a side...
but
Let me just say this: even given the mess we have going on over here at the moment (Don't ask), I am sure glad I'm over here in Australia, and not over there in USA.
Where do I begin...
SOPA. (Not going there.)
Twitter Censorship. (Not touching that one either)
Double dip rescission. (Meanwhile, while Aussie land had a slowdown, we ended up without much of a problem.)
Sub prime mortgage crunch.
"Obma-care" (We have this little thing called Medicare. It works. ... Mostly. Public Health for all. It isn't perfect but that's what Private health funds are for.)
The whole Occupy movement thing. (Both sides are right, both sides are wrong. There is the Freedom of Expression, The Freedom to Assemble, Freedom to Peaceful Assembly, but also the Right of Law Enforcement, and the rights of others such as Bystanders and Public Safety, take only one away and we get on very slippy and dangerous ground.)
Twitter being Subpoenaed. Link
Enemy Expatriation Act - Wiki link - Not yet gone through but give it time.
And then this: Cops comment attacking Internet hackers drawers anger, criticism. I spent the evening watching various parts of the net melt - mostly Twitter and various Facebook pages.
and the list goes on and on...
Sure... I know Everything is trying to kill me in Australia, and its a pest to get anything decent, and we're in the future, but at least it makes sense down here!

MicroHue Wrote:You know, I generally try to be strictly neutral in most matters. It actually takes more guts to say "I have considered both sides and I am neither for nor against...[XYZ]" then to hope issues go away or pick a side...
but
Let me just say this: even given the mess we have going on over here at the moment (Don't ask), I am sure glad I'm over here in Australia, and not over there in USA.
Where do I begin...
SOPA. (Not going there.)
Twitter Censorship. (Not touching that one either)
Double dip rescission. (Meanwhile, while Aussie land had a slowdown, we ended up without much of a problem.)
Sub prime mortgage crunch.
"Obma-care" (We have this little thing called Medicare. It works. ... Mostly. Public Health for all. It isn't perfect but that's what Private health funds are for.)
The whole Occupy movement thing. (Both sides are right, both sides are wrong. There is the Freedom of Expression, The Freedom to Assemble, Freedom to Peaceful Assembly, but also the Right of Law Enforcement, and the rights of others such as Bystanders and Public Safety, take only one away and we get on very slippy and dangerous ground.)
Twitter being Subpoenaed. Link
Enemy Expatriation Act - Wiki link - Not yet gone through but give it time.
And then this: Cops comment attacking Internet hackers drawers anger, criticism. I spent the evening watching various parts of the net melt - mostly Twitter and various Facebook pages.
and the list goes on and on...
Sure... I know Everything is trying to kill me in Australia, and its a pest to get anything decent, and we're in the future, but at least it makes sense down here!

Yes, it is great to live in a free country...

Oh, a Health service that'll pick up after the private insurance provider realises that it's assessor 'made a mistake' at renewal time, that my Uncle had been underpaying his premiums as a result, and that they'd really prefer to just cancel the policy and refund a few years worth of premium, rather than spend the money for a couple of months of intensive care in a hospital. The State came to the rescue....

Yeah, but thanks to treaties some of that stuff the Yank government have done has the potential to affect us.

As for coming out of the GFC without too much affecting us umm...heh, I think there's some things that aren't adding up there, like what has happened to the long term unemployed that dropped off that counter and didn't make a difference to the employed count. Y'know the tricky statistic stuff. 'Cos I've been noticing more (and evidence for) homeless people lately (in the previous year). I've even been regularly spotting the stereotypical 'bag guy with shopping trolley' in South Yarra.

I have occasionally entertained the notion about emigrating to down under from time to time. Australia and New Zealand both seem like good places to live. Of the two, I'm inclined towards Kiwi land just a bit more. (I can handle spiders and other creepy crawlies, but not when they are THE SIZE OF MY FREAKING HAND.) 

I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to love of my own country. But I'm starting to wonder is maybe now the time to start thinking about it more seriously? Trouble is, I don't know what I could seriously offer in terms of skills that isn't already handled by any other unskilled laborer. (Maybe in a couple of years when I get finished with this set of computer courses I'm about to start.)

Logan Darklighter Wrote:(I can handle spiders and other creepy crawlies, but not when they are THE SIZE OF MY FREAKING HAND.).
You do know that they've got a cricket/grasshopper that comes in that size and could bite a finger off if you let it.

Well, I know in my field, someone's decided it's cheaper to fly my workmates over to NZ for a week (3 jobs), then to get some guys over there to do it. Yet I believe that the fact that the existing NZ team said that a job we do in 6-12 hours would take 'em five days to do, has played a part in that.

Quote:You do know that they've got a cricket/grasshopper that comes in that size and could bite a finger off if you let it.

Yes. The Weta. I've heard of it. 

I hear you, Logan. The only reason I'm NOT seriously considering emigrating to Japan after I graduate from college is the fact that we have a Democrat in the Oval Office that has effectively managed to undo some of the most grievous and immediate harm that last idiot did to this country. That, and the one Republican candidate that had the most chance of beating Obama hands down has dropped out of the race.

Seriously, I don't know why Jon Huntsman wasn't able to drum up more support - he was easily, IMHO, the most acceptable candidate. Another thing that I found amusing was that while Mit Romney has been blasted for being a Mormon, you hardly heard the same about Huntsman. Wonder why...

Anyhow, if Obama somehow loses to the likes of Gingrich or *shudders* Santorum, then I'll see you at LAX before we head off to our respective countries, and we'll raise a toast the the American Middle-Class. Gonna need all the help they can get.

Well, come to Australia, in IT I've had expat-American Project/Team Leads as such as a ex-USAF Tech who was in West Germany around the same time Ed was -I should've asked him for a code phase to yell that would generate a odd reaction- and a ex-USN/NSA?(or knows people there) Tech. Ranks for either of them I didn't get off them.

Then again some of the contractors I work with occasionally now are ex-ADF(RAAF, Army & RAN) and are of the opinion that some yanks need constant supervision while they're here, after seeing US Marines on a exercise/training disregarding just how dangerous our snakes actually are.

--Rod.H

Oh Marines? Yeah, they're like that. Don't mind them terribly much. I will tell you this - as long as it's nothing fatal, a Marine will do shit that will make you smile forever after whenever you're reminded of it.

Now, if you want the real best of the best - the guys that are just plain awesome as well as some of the nicest, coolest cats you could possibly ever wish to meet - look no further than a Navy SEAL.

Um they gave me the impression that each snakebite event was fatal, for both parties.

I don't think I've come across a Navy SEAL yet 'cos I'm sure that they'd be in a better paid contractor position then me and would probably actually be working directly for the corps that get me in for grunt work.

BA? I am amused. For reasons why - see my previous posts in this forum. I seriously doubt both of us would be leaving on the same plane for the same reasons.

Rod:

Speaking as somebody who has a fair amount of experience with handling venomous reptiles (and bitten once), I'm not too surprised at U.S. Marines forgetting that all Aussie snakes other than pythons are venomous. As far as venomous reptiles are concerned Australia has a truly nasty situation in which the only ones that made it over where all Elapids and pythons. And I'm not at all surprised that U.S. soldiers did get bitten they don't have the deep cultural conditioning Aussies have had ingrained into them about all snakes are poisonous. In fact most Australian elapids are superficially similar to non poisonous colubrids which are far more familiar to Americans which means that it is all to easy for most Yankees to forget that just because it looks like a harmless U.S. snake in Australia it will be venomous reptile with a neurotoxic venom. Particularly if you bear in mind that most poisonous reptiles in the Americas are very easily distinguished from their non poisonous counterparts as most are pit vipers which have a pretty distinctive appearance and coral snakes with their very distinctive coloration.

Side note...

B.A. as far as I can see the current chairholder in the Whitehouse has pretty much well continued many of his predecessors policies take a look at Glenn Reynolds long running series of posts on instapundit along the lines of "They told me if I voted for McCain they warned me that this"would happen" and they were right. He's also managed to do some major messups of his own look at what a fiasco the entire green energy issue has become with the Solyndra fiasco coming to mind. Also both political parties are pretty much in bed with assorted special interests and as far as corporate handouts both parties elder statesmen have a long standing and cozy relationship with corporations. Take a hard look at just how badly screwed up copyright law is due to the fact that certain senior figures in certain committess in both parties are honest politicians (as in the only honest politician is the one that stays bought)...
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Logan Darklighter Wrote:BA?
I am amused. For reasons why - see my previous posts in this forum. I
seriously doubt both of us would be leaving on the same plane for the
same reasons.
Dude.  Not the same plane.  The same airport. 
Is not LAX a major international hub for flights departing from USA to
AUS and JAP?  Most times I came home for the holidays while stationed in
Japan it was though LAX.

Quote:werehawk wrote:
B.A. as far as I can see the current chairholder in the Whitehouse has
pretty much well continued many of his predecessors policies take a look
at Glenn Reynolds long running series of posts on instapundit along the
lines of "They told me if I voted for McCain they warned me that
this"would happen" and they were right. He's also managed to do some
major messups of his own look at what a fiasco the entire green energy
issue has become with the Solyndra fiasco coming to mind. Also both
political parties are pretty much in bed with assorted special interests
and as far as corporate handouts both parties elder statesmen have a
long standing and cozy relationship with corporations. Take a hard look
at just how badly screwed up copyright law is due to the fact that
certain senior figures in certain committess in both parties are honest
politicians (as in the only honest politician is the one that stays
bought)...
Prove to me that McCain-Palin would have done a better job and I might take your argument more seriously.  Sure, they would have had an easier time getting shit done once the Republicans swept the House of Representatives, but the shit that would have been accomplished probably wouldn't have been what this country needed.  (Seriously, the Republicans' idea of how to save the budget... WTF?)  For the mistakes Obama made, I'd gladly take them in exchange for stopping the recession dead in it's tracks.

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Logan Darklighter Wrote:BA?
I am amused. For reasons why - see my previous posts in this forum. I
seriously doubt both of us would be leaving on the same plane for the
same reasons.
Dude.  Not the same plane.  The same airport. 
Is not LAX a major international hub for flights departing from USA to
AUS and JAP?  Most times I came home for the holidays while stationed in
Japan it was though LAX.
You were taking me too literally. Let me spell it out.

I am a Conservative* and I'm of the opinion that this country will be hard pressed to survive another term with Obama as the chief executive. If he is re-elected, that's when I'd start thinking of leaving, if I can.  

(* though at this point I'd hardly consider myself a Republican. I'd only be voting for a Republican as president as the lesser of two evils. And I'll be looking at both R and D candidates for Congress/Senate based on how much they'll uphold our freedoms and oppose things like PIPA/SOSA.) 

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote: For the mistakes Obama made, I'd gladly take them in exchange for stopping the recession dead in it's tracks.
I don't know if you've noticed, but we never stopped having a recession. And even if we did, we're about to go into double-dip. 

The only reason we're not in an outright depression (re: stag-flation) is because interest rates have been kept artificially low. The fed is not worried about inflation at this point. They're worried more about deflation. If we still have this shit-hole of an economy and then go into deflation at the same time, that's when we'll be truly in a depression. And unfortunately, it still looks like we're headed in that direction. The brakes are on full and the sparks are flying, but this train is way too heavy to stop easily. 

There's not a lot that any one country can do to fix things right now, though. The US housing bubble bursting kicked things off, but the Greek crisis worsened things everywhere.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

blackaeronaut Wrote:Prove to me that McCain-Palin would have done a better job and I might take your argument more seriously.  Sure, they would have had an easier time getting shit done once the Republicans swept the House of Representatives, but the shit that would have been accomplished probably wouldn't have been what this country needed.  (Seriously, the Republicans' idea of how to save the budget... WTF?)  For the mistakes Obama made, I'd gladly take them in exchange for stopping the recession dead in it's tracks.
B.A. As Logan noted we're still mired in a recession. And to tell the truth at this point it is an open question if the MacCain-Palin would have done any worse than the Obama admin has to date.  I'll also note that the main reason the Republicans swept the last elections is that the Democrats in Congress pushed ahead with a lot of really unpopular projects which pissed of a good swathe of the electorate. Nor for the matter did they address some of the big issues behind the financial and housing maket crisis these namely being IMO.
a.) Banks that are too large for their own good and which if they collapse quite literally break the depositor protection insurance systems. Quite frankly it would have been beter to break up the large national banks into smaller regional banks with a strict upper limit at how large a bank could be.
b.) Overly close relations between legislators and Goverment sponsored Entities. A situation that has not changed in the least. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae despite being quasi government run enterprises where literally buying off the political powers that be to ensure that oversight would be easygoing.
Quite frankly the close relations between former Senator Dodd and the financial sector makes any law with his name on it suspect. (Yes this is the same Dodd who currently is a paid shill for both RIAA and MPAA who also warned that any legislator who opposed SOPA would face consequences.) As with the large banks Fannie and Freddie need to be broken up into smaller regional banks.
Let me point out some of the major screwups.
-Cash for clunkers was basically a waste of money.
-The Economic stimulus package that was so loaded with pork and did not generate anywhere near the amount of economuic benefit or jobs it was claimed that it would do.
-TARP which still hasn't paid off.
-The entire green jobs fiasco which was a nice idea on paper, the execution of it was inept at best if not curiminally corrupt see what happened with Solyndra. Quite frankly they would have gotten more bang for the environmental buck by building 100 new nuclear reactors. I'm all for clean energy but can we at least do the math as to which solutions will genrate the most benefits.
-High speed rail issue which will if executed literally become a financial blackhole for California (As if Claifornia isn't already mired deeply in a self inflicted fiscal crisis.
-As for the deficit issue it needs to be addressed. Despite the claim that raising taxes on the rich will help control it as sooon as anybody does the math of actually doing so the gains are only amount to 2-5% increase in revenue which is nowhere near what would be needed to address the deficit. To tell the truth it is necessary to cut the U.S. budget and so far the administration has not in the least made any serius attempt at doing so.
Take a hard look at the situation in Europe with the PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy Greese & Spain) in which the bills for all the years of taxing selective Peter to pay collective Paul plus borrowing from Alice (Banks) to keep the collective Paul from rioting have all come due with there are no more Peters to tax as there are no longer any to tax and Alice is no longer willing to lend money because she isn't sure she will get it back. Greece being the worst off of the pack with a public sector that has literally taxed the private sector out of existance.
The U.S. isn't that far from ending up in the same boat as the PIIGS but for us the solution will probably be along the lines of lets inflate the hell out of our currency and thus devalue the debts we owe.
I could keep on going but I'm going to cut off here...
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Quote:-The Economic stimulus package that was so loaded with pork and did not generate anywhere near the amount of economuic benefit or jobs it was claimed that it would do.

Citation needed.

Most economist seem to agree that it worked, but that it was too small and expectations too high. Although I will give Obama credit for some of the measures in the bill which led to it being less popular but more
effective, such as many smaller payments rather than a few lump sums.

references;
http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2 ... 0_CV_N.htm
http:////www.democracynow.org/embed/stor..._on_obamas
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexch ... cal_policy
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/125xx/doc125 ... 2-ARRA.pdf
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

werehawk Wrote:-The Economic stimulus package that was so loaded with pork and did not generate anywhere near the amount of economuic benefit or jobs it was claimed that it would do.
Only because of unrealistic expectations. The US unemployment rate is currently the lowest it's been in the last three years – yes, it's still higher than Canada's on a per capita basis, but your number is dropping while ours is rising. Whatever your politicians have been doing in this area, it's working.

CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... onomy.html]Why job growth in U.S. is outpacing Canada
--
Rob Kelk

Look, I'm not putting Obama up on a pedastal. However, it would be nice if everyone would quit trying to politically head-shot him. He's made some mistakes, but you have to admit that the man is honestly trying to make the best out of what is a dog's breakfast. Now, if you can show me evidence that Obama KNEW what the situation was with Solyndra before he signed on the dotted line, then I'd be more inclined to side with you.

And yes, I agree that Congress wasn't working out.  But I feel that we've swung too far to the Right.  I mean, look and Boenher and his push to cut the government down to the bones just so his buddies in the upper crust can enjoy their low taxes.  I fell absolutely no sympathy for these people whatsoever.  The living standards of this country cost money - money that the Middle Class are starting to lack because the Republicans want to do things like get rid of worker's rights.  They're already stripping unions of their rights, so what's next on the chopping block?  The forty-hour work week?  Overtime?  Health insurance?  Or maybe of Gingrich or Romney get elected they'll just let all the jobs get outsourced to India, China, and Mexico because the labor's cheaper in those countries, and that's good for the American Corporations.  (They'd better be careful or else they won't have anyone to sterilize their phones and prevent an outbreak.)
Okay, Douglass Adams references aside, let's take a good hard look at this.  How many people does a major corporation employ to run their operations?  Not the industrial side of things, just the red tape and the number crunching.  All the white collar work.  We'll still have services like grocery stores and gas stations.  We'll still have government service jobs (but a lot of those will go away if the Republicans have their way).  We'll still have farms, but ten will get you twenty that's mostly gonna be migrant workers.  Illegal and otherwise.  But my question is this: do these corporate blowhards really think their doing the country a favor by doing away with as much blue collar labor as possible?  Do they know and understand that without Americans gainfully employed they will lose their customer base?
It simply cannot work.  Americans need to work.  And the wealthy need to pay what they can afford to the Nation's coffers.  (I think you can live pretty goddamn comfortably on a million or two a year.  If they have a problem with it, then maybe they should get together with their buddies and come to the agreement that maybe if they weren't so concerned about turning a huge profit they could afford to lower the prices on things... including luxury items.)
Besides, if we REALLY put effort into getting Americans to work, into making sure that there's good paying jobs out there for them, then that's going to be a huge load off our welfare system.  People will be able to set aside their own money for retirement, and that will be a huge load off Social Security.

This is a bit aside, but I have to wonder... Why have we gutted NASA so viciously over the last decade or so?  It kinda comes back to Jobs.  In the 60's and 70's NASA employed hundreds of thousands (over 400,000 in fact).  A veritable army of engineers, mathematicians, scientists, technicians and skilled laborers.  We put men on the Moon, sent probes to Venus, Mars, and on a tour of the outer system and beyond.  We built a flying U-Haul truck to get ridiculously big things in and out of LEO.
The dream that John F. Kennedy must have died with him.  Nixon effectively cancelled Apollo by cutting their budget.  I have to wonder what the hell he was thinking.  Because of those cuts even more NASA programs got canned, like The Grand Tour.  Skylab barely made it in there, as did Voyager, Viking, and the Space Shuttle.
Really, the problem with Americans' apathy towards the space program was that they were expecting the next Big Thing.  My mother told me once that after the Apollo Program ended a survey was taken to see just how many people would voluntarily go to a lunar colony.  Th result was unprecedented - nearly everyone surveyed said they would do it, even if it meant working in adverse conditions, no real pay (pretty much a socialist system of sorts), and an obligation to start making babies at some point.  After putting men on the moon, the next big thing would have been to have an outpost there, eventually followed by a colony.  And, of course, missions to Mars.  A lunar outpost would have been the perfect jump-off point for that.  But instead, we cut back on NASA's budget, feeling our money was better spent elsewhere.
Seriously?  Where else is it better spent than on keeping Americans employed?  Where else is it better spent then inspiring Americans... no, not simply inspiring.  Instead, providing a means to achieve big dreams and lofty goals.  It is things like this that make us a great nation.  Not the size of our army or the accuracy of our missiles.  Its what we build, not what we can destroy.

Republican, Democrat, Left, Right, Socialist, Capitalist...  I really am sick and tired of hearing both sides go at it.  I don't understand why the hell both sides can't just hammer out some kind of compromise.  Granted, there's some things that can't be compromised on.  Civil liberties for one.  Copyright law, the way things are going, is going to be the end of Freedom of Speech.  At least in digital formats.  Groups like RIAA and MPAA are really pushing to turn America into the sort of corporate-ruled nightmare we've all dreamed about.
This all goes back to who's paying who.  Certainly not the voters.  The amount of money Congressmen make off our taxes certainly aren't enough to satisfy them, so they gorge themselves off campaign funds offered by the lobbyists, selling themselves to the highest bidder.  You'll give me five-hundred thousand for my campaign if I vote for drilling in national parks in Alaska?  You got a deal!
Corporations aren't the only ones.  Religious interest groups are just as bad at time.  You'll give me a huge sum of money for my campaign if I vote against civil unions for homosexuals?  Done!
This needs to end.  There should be a cap on how much money any one individual should be able to contribute to a candidate or incumbent's campaign.  We cannot have these people being bought by lobbyists!

We need some radical moderates to come in, dope slap both extremes and say, "We got shit to do! Stop fighting like little kids!"

Too bad "radical moderates" can't get elected.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:Too bad "radical moderates" can't get elected.
*blink-blink*  Supporting data?  I'm not sure who would actually qualify as such.  Or are you just being facetious?

being a moderate would usually preclude you from being a radical. Since the radical ones are such because they are so far to the norm.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Waiter? May I have some more axes for my political spectrum, please?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

No axes - too many hatchet jobs.
--
Rob Kelk