Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons from the Dharum Ravi Trial
Lessons from the Dharum Ravi Trial
I'ved been following the Dharum Ravi trial and 2 lessons came to mind:
1.  Every email, tweet, phone text and/or every social media posting is stored on a server somewhere. Deleting or altering them is a waste of time.
2. If the DA gives you a deal with no prison time and no deportation, take the deal.
So now the kid is looking at at least 5-10 years jail time, very possibly looking at deportation at the end. I'ved seen commenting people that the sentence was too harsh. Just keep in mind though, that he was offered a deal and the judge at the beginning of the trial warned him of the consequences. His defense said they will appeal, but there is no way they can have all the charges dropped. So the kid will probably be deported one way or the other..unless his family has powerful friends who can intercede on their behalf.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

In a normal country the sentence would be way to harsh, so about right for America.

The whole offering of deals is a sickness in the system that should be forbidden. They have a purpose in rare and exceptional circumstances, but right now they are business as usual and the ones that don't make a deal are the exception, leading to many innocents pleading guilty to avoid the risk of excessive jail sentences.

citations;

http://www.innocenceproje...nnocent_Plead_Guilty.php

http://www.fhsulaw.com/CM...cent-to-Plead-Guilty.asp
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Who is Dharum Ravi, and what was he or she tried for?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The case of the guy who did something stupid and possibly malicious
He is an ex Rutgers university student and came from India as a kid.  Given what I'm reading on this link, a permanent resident can be deported if he is convicted of a felony.  His parents had better start lobbying a congressman or senator to influence the INS to make an exception to their son's case.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It's even more fun for non-permanent residents who can (and often do) get deported on an accusation.

Dharum Ravi has been harassing his gay room-mate who then committed suicide. And then tried to interfere with the investigation. The last is a big no no, which is a big part of why he's facing such a severe sentence.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I feel like I gotta ask... Is there any reason we'd want to keep this guy? If he's gonna do something like this for what sounds like it amounts to lulz, I wouldn't want to hire him for any job that involved any degree of confidentiality... which seems to be pretty much everything these days.

-Morgan.

Actually Catty, it's the bias intimidation that is the big sentence.

@ Morganni: That would up to the judge.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell