Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple this one with some Streisand Effect
Couple this one with some Streisand Effect
I'm posting this here specifically because the subject is sensitive to some people, not because it's particularly political... unless you count the results of sucking up to a BNF when they obviously fucked up to be particularly political.
http://whatever.scalzi.co...eadercon-harassment-etc/
The irony is that the resulting firestorm from them trying to be nice to someone who was "showing remorse" (I'm going to go have a fit of deeply bitter giggles just from typing that) has done far more to his reputation than a permaban would ever have done. Literally half the first page of hits from Google are links to blog postings about the incident, and there's already a significant number of BNFs that have heard about the incident, including obviously one John Scalzi.
ReaderCon is also reaping the "benefits" of their actions, with again literally half the first Google page being links to blog postings regarding the incident. Pretty much all of it for them is that they basically "bent" a policy that was a "one size fits all" at the moment it was supposed to be applied, which anyone with a lick of legal sense can tell you is never, ever, ever a good idea. You apply it, then you amend it for later incidents. You don't amend at the moment. There is a distinct chance that they might very well not have a ReaderCon for Walling to return to in three years.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

I like this comment
Quote:Ideally, a beautiful naked person should be able to walk, unharassed, around a con with a clear duffel bag full of unmarked twenties in one hand and an original Star Wars prop Lightsabre in the other.

Until this is true, we have much self improvement to do.

I'm certain that there's a con where the bag of money and/or the lightsaber would attract more attention than the person holding it. Then again all/first of the above would be considered illegal in some countries.
They have reversed the decision...
http://readercon.org/publicstatement.htm
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

I saw that one, again, via John Scalzi's feed. It's a big step in the right direction. The next step is the follow through on the announced intents.

They do have their work cut out for them undigging the hole, though.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor