Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Farce is Strong in This One
The Farce is Strong in This One
I don't know if this is a complete hoax or, as the story claims, a prank on the mechanisms of government.  I hope it's the latter.  Too many people take governments too seriously. 

Topic-appropriate sig below.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I just love this paragraph from the article:
Quote:Some estimates put the cost of doing so at around $852 quadrillion, roughly 13,000 times the gross domestic product of the entire Earth—even when factoring in the savings of not putting any guardrails around any of the facility's seemingly endless number of bridges, spans, shafts and pits. And history cautions against being too proud of the technological terror thus constructed, because the ability to destroy a planet, or even a whole system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

If this follow-up article is to be believed, someone in the White House actually has enough of a sense of humor to pretend they're taking the petition seriously ... at least, seriously enough to respond, "Build it we will not."  (Pointing out the design flaw that allows a single X-Wing to destroy it.  Yeah, that's a government for you:  point out the design flaw, but don't fix it.)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Guys... Don't rely on second-hand reports. Use the Source.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012