Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Habemus Papam
Habemus Papam
For those who pay attention to the Catholic Church: 
March 13, 2013 saw the election of Argentinian Cardinal Jose Mario Bergoglio to the Seat of Peter, becoming Pope Francis I.

(For those paying attention to 'firsts', he is the first Pope from the Western Hemisphere, and the eleventh non-European Pope. There have been at least three from Israel, one from Lybia, one from "somewhere in North Africa", four from Syria, and one from Turkey, before this.)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

And I believe he's the first Jesuit Pope, as well...?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

His choice of papal name is intriguing..Was it for Francis of Assisi or for Francis Xavier? 
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
His choice of papal name is intriguing..Was it for Francis of Assisi or for Francis Xavier? 
From all I've heard so far, the answer is "yes".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

"somewhere in North Africa"?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Early church.

The symbolism I get from his Pontifical Cognomen has something to do with the brief bio I heard on CNN... That the new Pope is a very humble man. I actually think that part of how long it took for him to come out wasn't just his extended solo prayer, but ripping bric-a-brac and unnecessary fripperies from his robes to suit his more "vow of poverty" type of living, considering he ditched his previous position's hired limo and took public transportation to work in his diocese.

The Swiss Guard is probably already having fits, because, from his brief speech, I can see him trying to be an accessible pontiff. He strikes me as the kindly grandfather with a gentle hand rather than the fire-and-brimstone proscriber.

But, we'll see.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

He is, however, described as being part of the very conservative faction among the cardinals. We won't get Vatican III during his reign, I wager.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

First let me establish my credentials: I am Uruguayan, living next to Argentina, with both countries so closely tied by history and culture they could be one. So, I can say that I know this guy.
This is the guy that was the leader of the Jesuits in Argentina during the bloody dictatorship. He fully supported that government. He gave aid and comfort to kidnappers, murderers and torturers.  He condoned the secret adoptions by military families of the newborn babies of women that were kidnapped while pregnant and gave birth in detention, usually killed hours later (he literally said it to a grandmother who asked him to intercede for her daughter: the girl was dead and the baby adopted in a family "too important to give back the child") He even fingered two of his own priests who were too vocal against the
injustice so they would be disappeared and tortured for five months, and
then claimed credit for saving their lives by personally interceding
with the president.But of course later as archbishop he would not abandon another priest that was outed as having taken confession and given absolution to the pilots and soldiers of the "Death Flights" (the dictatorship had too many thousands of persons to disappear without a trace by shooting and burials, so they resorted to loading them in planes and dropping them over the sea), he personally protected him and shuffled him from church to church in places where he wouldn't be known or harassed.And lets not forget the fire and brimstone declarations against the democratic government that that legalized same sex marriage and adoption: "anthropologically backward", "discriminating against children", "doing the work of the prince of lies"...
So no, neither humble nor kindly grandfather no gentle hand. This asshole is as much a nazi as Ratzinger.

Well, crap. Feet of clay and all that. >
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Nobody's who's been in the Church for 60 years is going to be clean.

Part of the problem with the Hierarchy really. They're all much to old, and several generations out of touch with the majority of the congregation.

Considering the meaning of the word "pope," I suppose it would be rude to mention Matthew 23:9...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21794798
BBC article on the dispute.
Also the result ofhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21835363 may give a clue on whether the guy's a political whore.