Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Giving up control over Internet
US Giving up control over Internet
"The United States is planning to give up its last remaining authority over the technical management of the Internet." 
Because the only thing that matters is looking good to other countries. And they'll like us if we hand it over. Being extra nice to Russia worked, right?

*sigh*

It's about bloody time.

Okay, is it tinfoil hat time? Are the Chinese or the Russians really going to be able to dictate that sites in the US cannot be viewed by any Interent user? Because, funny enough, the damn page that link goes to won't load for me. :p

The answer to that is: Cloudy, try again later. However, I'm certain that they'd love being able to declare TOR traffic verboten and to lock down their networks completely.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Okay, is it tinfoil hat time? Are the Chinese or the Russians really going to be able to dictate that sites in the US cannot be viewed by any Interent user? Because, funny enough, the damn page that link goes to won't load for me. :p
Considering that Youtube already does that, why should the governments need to step in?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

From what I've read, Commerce has instructed ICANN to come up with a replacement that is not dominated by nation states, but other stakeholders. The real meaning here is that little will fundamentally change -- the Internet has been mostly run by the Internet Society and users anyway. This is mainly a political move because of the NSA/Snowden stuff, but it's not like IANA was causing any of the issues related to that. If you put on a tinfoil hat, you'll mainly be doing it for the fashion statement.
-- ∇×V

That's a load off my mind. Helps that the site is now up and running. :p