Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republicans show their class again.
Republicans show their class again.
There's a certain core element to Republicanism in this country that seems utterly incapable of accepting the fact that Ireland and England have entered into a friendly political relationship based upon mutual respect, clear communication and rememberance of shared histories.

And so they heckle the President at a joint memorial ceremony

They should've held the ceremony on a signing day.... it'd probably have kept the majority of hecklers away. They're the sort of people who bitch about the State somehow being the illegitimate authority of Ireland while they queue to accept their welfare cheques.... a peculiar Civil War holdover that never quite went away.

Whenever I hear of old coots like this, I always think of the lyrics to the Beatles Mean Mr. Mustard....

Mean Mister Mustard sleeps in the park
Shaves in the dark trying to save paper
Sleeps in a hole in the road
Saving up to buy some clothes
Keeps a ten-bob note up his nose
Such a mean old man
Such a mean old man

His sister Pam works in a shop
She never stops, she's a go-getter
Takes him out to look at the queen
Only place that he's ever been
Always shouts out something obscene
Such a dirty old man
Dirty old man

The thing is, they're not old farts. Most of them would be under thirty or fourty.... a lot of 'em even born after the 1995 ceasefire. They're an extremist edge that has gained traction on the front of rising nationalism in the wake of an economic crisis.

Old in mindset is good enough for me. Ignorance seems to know no age boundary. :p